Last of the stragglers

Last of the stragglers

September 2nd, 2017, 9:07 pm #1

The seasons are changing here in MA and virtually all the migrating hummers have passed through. Still a handful that have been stopping by the last 3-4 days but that's about it. We are heading back to FL next weekend to get away from the 40 degree overnight temperatures and highs in the 60's. Even the locals are complaining about the unusual cooler temps. Hopefully we won't have to extend the trip south by having to divert around the effects of Irma. Harvey's affect on gas prices is enough, although it was expected.
Did go out and was lucky enough to get a couple of photos of one of the stragglers we have. The one with his open bill was interesting, don't catch that very often.

Joe M.
Lakeland, FL

September 3rd, 2017, 12:07 am #2

It's hard to leave them, but you'll see some new ones where you're going, maybe even some returnees! Great goodby shots! Enjoy the better weather, but drive safe!

Fran
Lakeview, OR
Zone 4/5
Fran
Lakeview OR
Zone 4/5

September 3rd, 2017, 1:42 am #3

The seasons are changing here in MA and virtually all the migrating hummers have passed through. Still a handful that have been stopping by the last 3-4 days but that's about it. We are heading back to FL next weekend to get away from the 40 degree overnight temperatures and highs in the 60's. Even the locals are complaining about the unusual cooler temps. Hopefully we won't have to extend the trip south by having to divert around the effects of Irma. Harvey's affect on gas prices is enough, although it was expected.
Did go out and was lucky enough to get a couple of photos of one of the stragglers we have. The one with his open bill was interesting, don't catch that very often.

Joe, excellent images of the stragglers. Maybe you'll get the ones in Canada that are still here.
I'm leaving for home tomorrow and hope to see some when I get there.

Carol Trego
New Cumberland, Pennsylvania USA
Zone 6b

September 3rd, 2017, 4:24 pm #4

There are a few hummers still passing thru my area. Ive had this one adult male for the last 3-4 days of which it does seem like its the same bird as he perches on the same tomato cage chasing away all he comers and hes rather busy at that. Its just a matter of time before he moves on, but Im enjoying seeing him for as long as it lasts, hes still here today 3rd. Salvia oxyphora still getting plenty of attention from bees and hummers.
Steve W.
Martinsville IN.
Zone 6

September 3rd, 2017, 11:55 pm #5

The last couple of days were stronger than average for the date. This evening the action was much reduced. They must have tanked up in early morning and hit the road. Cold weather coming, time to go.
Southern New Jersey

September 4th, 2017, 3:30 am #6

Joe,
Beautiful pics as usual. I'm waiting for your hummers to come visit me

Rhonda
Never stop enjoying life,
Rhonda

Rhonda Furlong
Englewood, Florida
Zone 10a

September 4th, 2017, 5:12 pm #7

Still have at least one adult male here today 4th. Plus some immatures.
Steve W.
Martinsville IN.
Zone 6

September 5th, 2017, 7:39 pm #8

In spite of me I have at least one adult male hanging on. By that I mean I was out back putting together a addon bed for growing a few veggies and in spite my presence there this hummer surely didnt stray too far just yet.

I mainly added this bed as a place to store some of my homemade compost which will continue to make over the winter. This compost was in a separate bed I used for some tomatoes.

Steve W.
Martinsville IN.
Zone 6

September 6th, 2017, 11:23 am #9

I'm getting down to the bottom of the barrel here, Steve.
Have not seen a bird at my most reliable little bottle feeders this morning. Out front an adult female has been a regular for 3 days now and she was tanking up at daybreak and later a young bird made a flyby that she ignored. Right now we have a heavy downpour and she is happy by sheltering under the eves on the feeder.

As usual double pane windows are pain for shooting through.

Postscript 3 min. later saw an immature at the back yard bottle grasping the wire out of the rain.
Joe M.
Lakeland, FL

September 6th, 2017, 5:08 pm #10

Cold front just pushed through early this morning. Saw in the vicinity of 35-40 birds (estimated) between my 4 feeders at around 0645, but expect my numbers will be dropping throughout the day.

September 6th, 2017, 6:37 pm #11

We have unusually low numbers of hummingbirds here in Madison for this time of year (we have been keeping careful track for 19 years.) Additionally, we have daytime temperatures in the low to mid-60's and in the low 50's and upper 40's at night. It almost feels like late October and that all of our hummingbirds should be completely gone. We can only hope that this is the calm before the storm and that we will see our usual peak numbers of hummers for our upcoming Garden Tours on September 10 and 13.

Joe, very nice photos of your last birds. I'm sure you look at these photos with much fondness during the winter.
Madison, WI
Zone 5a

September 6th, 2017, 7:04 pm #12

It is similar here, Kathi. I'm only seeing the one adult male and six immatures. However, the last two years have been the same in early September, and both years had a mid-month surge.
Dan
East-central Iowa
Zone 5a

September 6th, 2017, 7:34 pm #13

Dan,

What you have going on reflects what we have seen in prior years for this particular date (we keep written records). Right now, we are having one hummingbird sighting during the day and two hummingbirds at dusk and our adult male appears to have departed. We have never seen numbers this low on September 6.
Madison, WI
Zone 5a

September 6th, 2017, 8:44 pm #14

I Still have one adult male and maybe 6 immatures.
Steve W.
Martinsville IN.
Zone 6

September 8th, 2017, 1:33 pm #15

Yesterday evening activity was very strong for this date. There were at least 10 at once dashing around the garden. Why so many so late? It seems likely that there was high late nesting success in New Jersey. In the past we've seen fledging as late as the first half of September. We didn't see any nest destroying really heavy rain and wind so that may be the reason.

This assumes that the young birds that first appeared in mid July are long gone by now which admittedly is an assumption. One of the unknowns surrounding Ruby-throated nesting is what the fledged bird do. They obviously disperse across the landscape but when does dispersal become migration? We can't even be sure in which direction those first fledged birds might disperse to. Reports from the deep south don't seem to show much in the way of early arrivals so what happens?

Here is an example of dispersal by a bird we all know - Robin. Some years my park at mid summer fills up with Robins, hundreds sometimes thousands. Nearly all are still spot-breasted. It gets hard to find the few adults among the mobs of kids. Those birds by and large didn't nest there. They were booted from Robin nesting territories. Hummingbird culture is somewhat different but Robin does provide a bit of a template. I see it with other common species in my own yard, Common Yellowthroat is a prime example.
Southern New Jersey