Last of the stragglers

September 8th, 2017, 2:16 pm #16

The seasons are changing here in MA and virtually all the migrating hummers have passed through. Still a handful that have been stopping by the last 3-4 days but that's about it. We are heading back to FL next weekend to get away from the 40 degree overnight temperatures and highs in the 60's. Even the locals are complaining about the unusual cooler temps. Hopefully we won't have to extend the trip south by having to divert around the effects of Irma. Harvey's affect on gas prices is enough, although it was expected.
Did go out and was lucky enough to get a couple of photos of one of the stragglers we have. The one with his open bill was interesting, don't catch that very often.

Yesterday I had a large amount of hummingbirds, a little early for me
but I would have to say minimum of 15 birds, this is early
for me to have this high of a count but they are easy to
count the ones in the yard and I added 3 for the back side of the house and driveway
area where I can't be at to count. They have set up their protection
perches where they go after chasing and I can stand on my deck and count those
but not the other areas of the house.
Last year this number was experienced 12th-18th of September.
Will they migrate due to the chill or the daylight hours?
Cathy P
Downers Grove, IL
Zone 5
Bazuhi@sbcglobal.net
Visit Me At:
https://www.facebook.com/Cathy-Ps-Hummingbird-Gardens-885457968170727/

September 8th, 2017, 2:23 pm #17

The seasons are changing here in MA and virtually all the migrating hummers have passed through. Still a handful that have been stopping by the last 3-4 days but that's about it. We are heading back to FL next weekend to get away from the 40 degree overnight temperatures and highs in the 60's. Even the locals are complaining about the unusual cooler temps. Hopefully we won't have to extend the trip south by having to divert around the effects of Irma. Harvey's affect on gas prices is enough, although it was expected.
Did go out and was lucky enough to get a couple of photos of one of the stragglers we have. The one with his open bill was interesting, don't catch that very often.

My last adult male appears to have left, so it's possible that may be it for them this season. Regarding overall activity, feeder use here is at a record low for this time of year. One feeder, which is often the favorite, was barely even touched over the last three days. I put out about sixteen ounces of nectar, total, three days ago, but no more than four ounces was consumed in that period. I'm still seeing seven hummers in the evening, but they are almost exclusively flower feeders. This is normally prime time for feeder use.
Dan
East-central Iowa
Zone 5a

September 8th, 2017, 2:23 pm #18

My last adult male appears to have left, so it's possible that may be it for them this season. Regarding overall activity, feeder use here is at a record low for this time of year. One feeder, which is often the favorite, was barely even touched over the last three days. I put out about sixteen ounces of nectar, total, three days ago, but no more than four ounces was consumed in that period. I'm still seeing seven hummers in the evening, but they are almost exclusively flower feeders. This is normally prime time for feeder use.

I'm still counting on a mid-month surge. Despite the recent strong cold front, I'm still seeing zero bird migration of any kind. I've been going out first thing in the morning to look for warblers or anything else, but it has been dead quiet. Hopefully, that means they, along with a lot of hummers, are all still up north.
Dan
East-central Iowa
Zone 5a

September 8th, 2017, 2:29 pm #19

I'm still having plenty of hummingbird activity in my northern Delaware garden. I'm guessing it's a lot of new migrants and immatures, as they all are not familiar with my feeders (which are full of very fresh nectar). They are mainly buzzing around my flowers, especially Cuphea "David Verity" and Salvia "Amistad". Then later in the day, some seem to try the feeders and can be seen "tanking up".
Wilmington, Delaware (USDA Zone 7a)

September 8th, 2017, 3:53 pm #20

My adult male is still here today , each day I expect to not see him so I make a special effort to keep the liquid fresh.
Seems odd to still have one in my area considering last season the last hummer I saw was late sept.

This particular male seems to just sit on the tomato cage on guard most of the time hardly taking time to eat.
Steve W.
Martinsville IN.
Zone 6

September 8th, 2017, 4:02 pm #21

Posted my last straggler photos on the Irma Thread since it was a mixed msg.
Joe M.
Lakeland, FL

September 8th, 2017, 6:35 pm #22

My current male who has been here for several days appears to be knapping. Guess thats a clue to the inactivity in my area.

Steve W.
Martinsville IN.
Zone 6

September 8th, 2017, 10:51 pm #23

My current male hummer is steadfast and bold not to be hurried by me. This afternoon I was out back working on removing the used up tomato plants , raking and weed cutting and such spent a good hour out there in the area where the male likes to perch and Im thinking he most likely took the hint and moved on. Not so hes back on his perch , at least I will have him one more night.
Steve W.
Martinsville IN.
Zone 6

September 9th, 2017, 4:48 pm #24

Sadly I have to report that my male has moved on, currently only seeing an occasional hummer visit my flowers and feeders.
Steve W.
Martinsville IN.
Zone 6

September 9th, 2017, 8:24 pm #25

It was only a matter of time Steve. Sorry to hear your Male has finally departed.
I am also down to a bird or two but that's normal for this location when I leave for FL in early Sep.
Unusual that we have had much cooler temps here the past several weeks, high 40's overnight and mid 60's during the day. That's about 10 degrees below normal here.
That of course would prompt the birds to head south sooner but our temps don't seem to be the major factor in their departure south, seems that other factors come into play. Daylight hours, temps, insect availability among a few that that come to mind.

Joe M.
Lakeland, FL

September 10th, 2017, 11:05 am #26

Sep 10, 7AM and a few newcomers showed up early morning.
Only saw 3 yesterday, and a few minutes ago counted 5 at the feeders.
Unusually, 3 around the little humm-blossom out front.
We just might leave more behind this year as we get on the road tomorrow for the "sunshine" state?
Joe M.
Lakeland, FL