Lantana in September

Lantana in September

September 8th, 2017, 10:38 am #1

I grow most Lantana in pots. It's easier for me to handle that way and brings the plants up rather than low in the garden. I did see a hummer check out a spreading lavender colored Lantana that is planted in the ground. Here are a few pots of the Lantana in September 2017. I had to come up with a plan to secure the pots so they wouldn't blow over; did that with stakes and garden twine. So far, so good.

Lantana in front yard

Hummer (head hiding) in Lantana and Butterfly Bush

Lantana in pot at side yard

Carol Trego
New Cumberland, Pennsylvania USA
Zone 6b

September 8th, 2017, 1:12 pm #2

Beautiful flowers, Carol. You know how to garden.

It's a continuing learning experience, isn't it?
Central Florida 9B

September 8th, 2017, 1:35 pm #3

I grow most Lantana in pots. It's easier for me to handle that way and brings the plants up rather than low in the garden. I did see a hummer check out a spreading lavender colored Lantana that is planted in the ground. Here are a few pots of the Lantana in September 2017. I had to come up with a plan to secure the pots so they wouldn't blow over; did that with stakes and garden twine. So far, so good.

Lantana in front yard

Carol Trego
Zone 6b
Rube Goldberg would be proud of you. With the proper use of twine and old stakes you could probably make a rocket to the moon.
Southern New Jersey

September 8th, 2017, 1:38 pm #4

Lantana in front yard

Carol Trego
Zone 6b
Tom and all, you bet gardening is a learning experience. My garden is rustic and sturdy. I have all my garden stakes and poles in use and had to buy more this year. Many of the plants need to be propped up.

The Lantana in the pot on the side yard is Bandana Pink 'Ban x Pin09' PP20555 CPBR3999. The multicolored orange one in the front yard is Luscious Citrus Blend 'Lantana Camara'. That's what on the plastic markers.

Carol

September 8th, 2017, 2:07 pm #5

Lantana in front yard

Carol Trego
Zone 6b
Carol do yo bring you Lantana in or do you just
purchase fresh every year? I use to have it
before I even knew it was a hummingbird plant
but haven't had it in several years
Cathy P
Downers Grove, IL
Zone 5
Bazuhi@sbcglobal.net
Visit Me At:
https://www.facebook.com/Cathy-Ps-Hummingbird-Gardens-885457968170727/

September 8th, 2017, 10:26 pm #6

Lantana in front yard

Carol Trego
Zone 6b
Cathy,

I usually just buy new lantana plants every spring and put three 4 x 4 plants in big pots with Promix and some Osmocote Plus, slow release fertilizer.

I found a video on YouTube showing how to propagate Lantana from cuttings. Here it is in case you are interested. I might try it. The plants in the pots are too big to bring inside for the winter.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7nE8cl6gLg0

Carol Trego
Zone 6b

September 9th, 2017, 12:58 am #7

Lantana in front yard

Carol Trego
Zone 6b
I love the red one, a beautiful lantana. Great job of growing in a pot. Thanks for posting.
Larry
Southaven, MS
Zone7B

September 9th, 2017, 1:17 pm #8

Lantana in front yard

Carol Trego
Zone 6b
The Lantana Camara is invasive here in Florida. We have many growing all over the place. Many resemble the last picture you posted, Carol, the "Luscious Citrus Blend 'Lantana Camara'."

The park that I visit regularly digs them out, because they are...well I guess I'm not sure exactly why, but they do tend to spread. I like them because many pollinators like them and the birds really like their seeds. They are visited here occasionally by hummers, but the butterflies and other pollinators love them.
Central Florida 9B

September 10th, 2017, 12:28 am #9

Lantana in front yard

Carol Trego
Zone 6b
Hi Tom, Lantana does not winter over in south central Pennsylvania. I dead head most of the spent flowers on it too. It does like water because of the healthy root system. I really don't see that much of it in gardens around here.

Carol Trego
Zone 6b