Japanese Beetles

Japanese Beetles

June 14th, 2017, 10:02 pm #1

I found one on my DV today and I hope the turnout isnt like last year.
Steve W.
Martinsville IN.
Zone 6

June 14th, 2017, 10:08 pm #2

Oh boy! I am so sorry! When we lived in NC, they would go for the Cuphea llavea I had planted. I would hand-pick and squish them. How do you usually deal with it?

June 14th, 2017, 10:35 pm #3

I usually plop them in a soapy bucket , but I have just ordered some light weight netting as last year they destroyed my david verity.
Steve W.
Martinsville IN.
Zone 6

June 14th, 2017, 10:40 pm #4

None here yet. I've planted Four O'Clocks as bait, but those seedlings are coming along very slowly.

June 15th, 2017, 3:57 pm #5

I thought 4 o'clocks repelled them, not lured them. I bought 2 this year & nothing to do with JB. Guess I'll find out. Guess I'm lucky since the past few years have not been bad.

BTW, white Geraniums kill them. Only white though. Had heard this & thought this can't be true but planted them with my Cuphea Sriracha Violet for a couple of years since JBs used to cover that plant & I would find them dead in the flower heads & also on top of the soil. I always buy these .59 cent geraniums in spring at Alsip to intermingle where I need color & started getting some white when I heard that.

Haven't see any yet.

Joni
Elwood, IL
Zone 5b

June 16th, 2017, 2:45 pm #6

Speaking of Geraniums I have white and peach. As for JB they seem to go after mainly cuphea and roses here, last year they were a true pain as I had lots of them. I started putting down milky spores and will put another dose next month. JB doesnt seem to bother salvia but I have seen them on tomatoes on occasion.
Steve W.
Martinsville IN.
Zone 6

June 28th, 2017, 4:52 pm #7

Our Japanese beetle problem disappeared with the severe drought five years ago. However, they appear to finally be coming back. In the last week I've already found over ten beetles, mostly on the cannas the last few days. I may have found ten beetles over the last four years combined.
Dan
East-central Iowa
Zone 5a

June 28th, 2017, 10:42 pm #8

I can pick off 10 a day and more if I wanna search hard enough, still not as bad as last year.
Steve W.
Martinsville IN.
Zone 6

June 28th, 2017, 10:47 pm #9

These guys and the rest of my flock keep the Japanese beetles at bay lol

Tony Castelline
Rural Polk County Iowa
5B

June 29th, 2017, 3:32 pm #10

Found my first 2 Monday & Tues. They were on my 'Pow Wow Wildberry' Coneflower. Will check my Black Chokeberry after I'm done here. They always seem to gravitate to it first now that my 'Redmond' Linden is no longer here. Normally see most on weeds more than plants & Cuphea has been spared the last few years. Quince is another favorite. Gave up on my roses a few years ago & they loved them as well. Haven't had very many like in the past. Quite lucky I guess.

Joni
Elwood, IL
Zone 5b

June 30th, 2017, 2:22 pm #11

Previously to last year I only had JB on cuphea plants, now I have them on geraniums, roses, and goldflame and not so much on cupheas which pleases me. Another dose of milky spores went out today just ahead of the rain we are supposed to get and if not I will need to water.
Steve W.
Martinsville IN.
Zone 6

June 30th, 2017, 3:17 pm #12

They are pretty thick here in Ks. I must have killed 15 this morning.

June 30th, 2017, 5:05 pm #13

Recently found one in my pink pentas, they can hide pretty easy in those flower clusters.
Steve W.
Martinsville IN.
Zone 6

July 3rd, 2017, 7:13 pm #14

Starting to find them...Makes me sad and mad. Does anybody use a spray?

July 3rd, 2017, 11:35 pm #15

I think I used some kind of spray on the first cannas I ever grew, several years ago. The spray caused the leaves to burn, so that's the last time I tried that.

I think most people just pick/knock them off the plants and into a bucket of soapy water. I found five more today on my cannas, and off they went into the bucket. Checking the plants once or twice a day should keep damage to a minimum.
Dan
East-central Iowa
Zone 5a