It's been a long time!

It's been a long time!

June 12th, 2012, 8:04 pm #1

Hello everyone. I don't know if you remember me, I used to frequent this group but about 8 months ago we brought home a new puppy who took up all of my time so I had to quit my obsession with hummingbirds. My name is Becky and I live in Olympia, WA. I recently moved from a rental home not far from the sound to a more forest like setting. We built a new home in a new subdivision. We have a half acre now Our yard is ALL grass. After we moved in, my husband noticed a hummer dive bombing him near our back porch. I think it was interested in the red handle of the shovel LOL
I wanted to put up my feeders but we have a good amount of bees and wasps in our area and I didn't want to invite the whole hive into our yard with the feeder. So about a month ago I went on the hunt for some plants that I could put in pots for the hummers. I bought a huge pot and put 3 plants in them. I sure wish I remembered what they are but 2 of them are summer/fall plants and one is an early spring I think. So none are blooming currently. I really needed my hummer fix right now so this past weekend I bought a foxglove plant and place it in a pot. I had my first visit shortly after. We have a Rufous hummer who will try the plant for a few seconds a day and move on I haven't seen any other hummers around. I'm so used to my resident Annas but I don't see any at our new home.
I really want to build a potted hummer garden, having it near my living room window so I can view them even in the rain and chill that we get here. I would love a more permanent situation but I would need a yard designer for that So far I am going slowly as we have other priorities at this point.
I really hope other hummers find my yard soon so I can start taking photos again. I should get at least 1 more plant that is blooming now and maybe the word will spread. Its the first time I wish I was back at the rental LOL
Anyway, I hope I can mingle with all of you again
Becky
Last edited by gamefanz on June 12th, 2012, 8:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

June 12th, 2012, 8:44 pm #2

Hi Becky...welcome back!

I'll bet if you get enough hummer plants going, the Anna's will find them. We do have a number of Anna's around the Sound. There are probably some already near you that will take notice of a nice nectar buffet, but your luck may be less if you have only a few blooms going at a time. A quick draw item would be a fuchsia basket, providing you can find one that produces nectar generously. My best performer has always been 'Marinka', but I rarely see baskets of it available - I've had to grow my own from starter plants. The best suggestion I can make is try to find an independent nursery that sells fuchsia baskets & ask which have been the best at pulling in hummers at the nursery.

A question...with a big empty lot, do you not plan on making any flower beds? Container gardening is fine in our climate during the growing season, but many container-grown perennials are lost during the winters that bring Arctic blasts (and I know Oly winter temps typically run lower than much of the rest of Puget Sound). If you stick with containers, think about some of the annual coccinea Salvias...'Lady in Red' might be especially good at pulling in & keeping the hummers around (if you plant enough of it) and they like 'Coral Nymph' too. These you can buy as starter plants and collect seeds to grow in subsequent years. There are others you can grow from seeds as well and will give you blooming annuals fairly quickly. Search out the ones recommended here on the forum.

Patrick
USDA Zone 8b
Heat Zone 3
Sunset Zone 5
SeaTac, WA...one cool place

June 12th, 2012, 8:57 pm #3

Hello everyone. I don't know if you remember me, I used to frequent this group but about 8 months ago we brought home a new puppy who took up all of my time so I had to quit my obsession with hummingbirds. My name is Becky and I live in Olympia, WA. I recently moved from a rental home not far from the sound to a more forest like setting. We built a new home in a new subdivision. We have a half acre now Our yard is ALL grass. After we moved in, my husband noticed a hummer dive bombing him near our back porch. I think it was interested in the red handle of the shovel LOL
I wanted to put up my feeders but we have a good amount of bees and wasps in our area and I didn't want to invite the whole hive into our yard with the feeder. So about a month ago I went on the hunt for some plants that I could put in pots for the hummers. I bought a huge pot and put 3 plants in them. I sure wish I remembered what they are but 2 of them are summer/fall plants and one is an early spring I think. So none are blooming currently. I really needed my hummer fix right now so this past weekend I bought a foxglove plant and place it in a pot. I had my first visit shortly after. We have a Rufous hummer who will try the plant for a few seconds a day and move on I haven't seen any other hummers around. I'm so used to my resident Annas but I don't see any at our new home.
I really want to build a potted hummer garden, having it near my living room window so I can view them even in the rain and chill that we get here. I would love a more permanent situation but I would need a yard designer for that So far I am going slowly as we have other priorities at this point.
I really hope other hummers find my yard soon so I can start taking photos again. I should get at least 1 more plant that is blooming now and maybe the word will spread. Its the first time I wish I was back at the rental LOL
Becky
Hi Becky and welcome back. Patrick is giving some good advice. I would definitely try and find some Salvia coccineas 'Lady in Red' 'Coral Nymph' 'Summer Jewel' or 'Jewel Red' at least to get you a start for this year then you can focus on the plants that do best in your area that hummers will use and lots of folks do have luck with fucshias.

Many of us started with a completely blank slate and dug beds a little at a time starting out small and added a little each year....no landscapers or designer necessary. Remember it is your garden not someone's concept of what your garden should look like.

Penny
NY
USDA hardiness zone 6a
Heat zone 4
Sunset zone 39
Penny
Zone 6a
Western NY state

June 12th, 2012, 9:10 pm #4

Becky
Hi Patrick,
I was thinking the same thing, with just one plant currently blooming I probably won't see many visits. I did go look for a fuschia basket this past weekend but I couldn't find one. They did have potted Fuschia's though, I thought of trying one of those. My husband really does not understand the fascination with hummers and why we are dumping money into plants. So buying plants slowly saves a lot of arguments LOL
As far as the containers, I have a dream for my backyard with a hot tub and gazebo and a small hummer garden (small because I am not a gardener so a small one would probably be as much as I could keep up) but I don't know where we will be placing everything. I have to contend with a septic now with lots of leech fields that are spread over just about the whole backyard. So just to get us by with no mud, we put 2k worth of sod to fill the backyard. I really need a yard designer to help us in the future. What would really be nice is having Yard Crashers come from HGTV to help us out LOL
So currently everything I buy has to be in pots until we figure out and have the money to do our dream backyard I would love to have the garden right up against my living room window but I'm not sure if my husband would go for that.
I should post pictures of our yard so you can get a better feel for what we have or don't have LOL
Thank you for the ideas.
Becky

June 12th, 2012, 9:30 pm #5

Becky
Hi and welcome back,

Do you have a water feature in your yard? That helps to attract hummers.
I would put up feeders. There are some types that bees can't get into, like the mini humzinger.
It would be nice to lure hummers to your yard right away.

Sigrid

June 12th, 2012, 9:34 pm #6

Becky
Here are some pictures of my backyard. Please excuse my yard. The slopes of grass are not growing as well as we hoped. We have the lawn company coming to fertilize the yard this week. Oh and the garden fence is a border for the dog LOL
http://s311.photobucket.com/albums/kk46 ... %20plants/

Becky
Last edited by gamefanz on June 12th, 2012, 9:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

June 12th, 2012, 9:39 pm #7

Becky
Thank you Penny for the suggestions. I will write those down as I go shopping. As I explained to Patrick we have a dream yard in our heads but unsure how to situate it. We've only lived here for 2 months so its slow going right now. I am scared to lose the plants I have so I may have to bug my husband to figure out a garden for me.

Becky
Last edited by gamefanz on June 12th, 2012, 9:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

June 12th, 2012, 9:42 pm #8

Becky
Thank you sigrid. I just posted my photos for you to look at. I have 8 saucer feeders for my hummers but I am so scared to attact bees to my porch. I could put them in the very back of my yard but I would not be able to view the hummers at all (too far back to view them) but I guess the point is just getting them to the yard, huh?

Becky

June 12th, 2012, 10:23 pm #9

Becky
Becky your yard looks HUGE! I would definitely say to start small in your case so that you aren't overwhelmed. The Salvia coccineas are very easy to grow and will do well in sun or part shade.

As for the feeders and bees. Using the saucer feeders you are much less to have a problem with the bees as bees have a difficult time reaching the nectar in the saucers. Just don't fill them all the way to the top. Leave a little head space and you should be fine. If you can place them in areas that are somewhat shady there is even a less chance of bees going to the feeders

BTW, I also have a husband who doesn't entirely get the hummer attraction and doesn't care to have his lawn dug up so I just did a small section at a time and as things began to grow and bloom he realized that he actually liked it.

Penny
NY
USDA hardiness zone 6a
Heat zone 4
Sunset zone 39
Last edited by Pennytoo on June 12th, 2012, 10:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Penny
Zone 6a
Western NY state

June 12th, 2012, 10:32 pm #10

Becky
Thank you Penny. Its the largest yard we've ever had. We bought a riding lawn mower this past weekend as it took almost 3 hrs to mow front and back with a push mower. We didn't have 3k to slap down for auto sprinklers so we have to run 6 hoses and sprinklers around the yard. Thank goodness for 2 back faucets LOL
I will call the local nurseries to see if they have the plant, I don't want to waste gas. I will try putting up one saucer and see how it goes.

Becky

Confirmation of reply: