Irma

September 5th, 2017, 5:47 pm #1

Doesn't sound good & has already broken records. I know it's early yet but hope all of our FL members stay safe & hope for the best. I didn't know anyone in Southern TX (a childhood friend had moved from Beaumont many years ago) but I know quite a few people who live in FL.

Joni
Elwood, IL
Zone 5b

September 6th, 2017, 1:06 am #2

This could be another major catastrophe.

Regards,
Bob
Lexington, Ky.

September 6th, 2017, 3:52 am #3

Doesn't sound good & has already broken records. I know it's early yet but hope all of our FL members stay safe & hope for the best. I didn't know anyone in Southern TX (a childhood friend had moved from Beaumont many years ago) but I know quite a few people who live in FL.

Joni
Elwood, IL
Zone 5b
Thanks Joni. Hopefully, we'll get follow-ups from everyone in Florida after she passes.

This is the first hurricane since I've been in Florida that really has me scared. Maybe because it's the first one since I moved to SW Florida on the Gulf coast. I had a false sense of security when I lived in the boondocks outside of Williston in north central Florida. And, I now have many more family members down here to worry about...all spread around the state.

We're staying put. Joe doesn't want to leave. We're so far south that it would take a day sitting on the highway to get out of Florida....776 heading north was bumper to bumper already this afternoon.

We're heading to the clubhouse Saturday morning as it is our designated shelter. Loading our week's supply of non-perishable food and water, clothes and valuables into the car to take with us. Everything else will have to survive on prayers and luck.

Tomorrow, I'm taking pictures of EVERYTHING inside and outside of the house for insurance purposes. It will be impossible to remember what we have if we have a catastrophe and are panicking.

Praying for everyone in Irma's path.

Rhonda

Never stop enjoying life,
Rhonda

Rhonda Furlong
Englewood, Florida
Zone 10a

September 6th, 2017, 8:24 am #4

Joni
Elwood, IL
Zone 5b
FL may well catch a break.

Spaghetti models are showing a consistent change in the expected path to the east of the FL peninsula.

That's good news but for the fickle nature of mother nature!

Our quandary is how to get back to FL this next week, through the very messy travel weather it will cause?

Joe M.
Lakeland, FL

September 6th, 2017, 2:17 pm #5

Joni
Elwood, IL
Zone 5b
And the latest but this leaves out the NHC track which is still going up the middle Lake O. and straight towards Jacksonville.
https://www.cyclocane.com/irma-spaghetti-models/
Joe M.
Lakeland, FL

September 6th, 2017, 2:27 pm #6

Joni
Elwood, IL
Zone 5b
Very relieved to hear that it now look more likely that the storm will pass to the east of Florida. Rhonda, Tom M., Burke, and Joe are all closer to the west coast. I'm in the middle of Central Florida.

Yesterday I was frightened. Today I'm feeling much better.

There are some disadvantages to living in Florida.
Central Florida 9B

September 6th, 2017, 3:49 pm #7

Joni
Elwood, IL
Zone 5b
We also like this Bay News 9 link for the interactive info that can be found.
Down at the bottom just make sure you have "spaghetti tracks" selected. Zooming in will reveal more data for each track and by clicking the + banner for the track it reveals more data.

http://www.baynews9.com/weather/klystron9.html
Joe M.
Lakeland, FL

September 6th, 2017, 6:39 pm #8

Joni
Elwood, IL
Zone 5b
While we won't know for sure for another day or two, it is looking more and more like Irma won't be affecting the continental U.S. We can only hope for that after the devastation of Harvey.

Whatever happens, we hope that our Florida members will be safe and take care.
Madison, WI
Zone 5a

September 6th, 2017, 7:00 pm #9

Joni
Elwood, IL
Zone 5b
Actually, this morning's model runs are bad news for Florida as models have inched back westward. All models have the eye moving north right over Miami or just offshore with the western eyewall hitting the coast. Our best model is the worst one.

Still, this is four days out. Irma can still end up 50 miles farther east, which would spare Florida the real bad stuff.
Dan
East-central Iowa
Zone 5a

September 6th, 2017, 9:04 pm #10

Joni
Elwood, IL
Zone 5b
Ouch! Kathi you just burst my bubble, but at least I now know the SE is not part of the Continental US.

A cousin of mine just closed on a home on Hilton Head SC and they have not even moved in yet. They are really on "pins
and needles"! Can't imagine their thoughts right now.

Joe M.
Lakeland, FL

September 7th, 2017, 1:50 am #11

Joni
Elwood, IL
Zone 5b
Damn, very good friends of ours live in Key west, here is hoping
Tony Castelline
Rural Polk County Iowa
5B

September 7th, 2017, 6:23 pm #12

Joni
Elwood, IL
Zone 5b
Bad news from the morning models. All models shifted at least a bit west. The track is now from scraping the coast to just west of Miami. The best model, the european, shifted farthest west, and now takes the eye into the northern keys, then through the everglades and right up the middle of florida all the way to georgia.
Dan
East-central Iowa
Zone 5a

September 7th, 2017, 10:04 pm #13

Joni
Elwood, IL
Zone 5b
Following Dan's post earlier its apparent that the latest 5 PM (Thur.) update is favoring a consensus view that the track may be more inland in FL rather than just hugging the east coast. Considering the avg. error of 75-100 miles in forecasts (2-3 days out) we just need to be keepings a close eye on this potentially monster storm.
Property damage in FL will be significant regardless of Irma's final track (coastal or inland) and heart breaking but will not compare to heartbreak of lost lives.
Material property can be replaced but a lost life can not. To all my friends in FL take all precautions and do everything you can to protect yourself and your loved ones, until Irma is only a memory.

Joe M.
Lakeland, FL

September 8th, 2017, 1:19 pm #14

Joni
Elwood, IL
Zone 5b
Starting to sweat this one.

All the keys are under a mandatory evacuation, as are most areas in Miami Beach.

It looks like Homestead will be hard hit. There are a lot of poor people living in that area as well as many of the major plant nurseries in Florida.

Right now they are predicting winds from 80 to 105 miles per hour where I live. If that's all there will be damage, but hopefully nothing major.

Hoping for movement to the East.
Central Florida 9B

September 8th, 2017, 2:05 pm #15

Joni
Elwood, IL
Zone 5b
I don't understand if there is a mandatory evacuation why they are not opening
up the southbound lanes out of the Key's to move the evacuation forward.
Cathy P
Downers Grove, IL
Zone 5
Bazuhi@sbcglobal.net
Visit Me At:
https://www.facebook.com/Cathy-Ps-Hummingbird-Gardens-885457968170727/

Confirmation of reply: