Ideal Contact

Ideal Contact

February 25th, 2010, 4:59 pm #1

In practice I have been following Blake's instructions for address setup more closely. As many of you know, Mindy recommended that the last check one should make before starting your backswing, or your forward press if you do one, is to look down the fairway and make sure your head is set such that your left eye is almost vertically above the right eye (for a right-handed golfer). I am finding that when I do this correctly I make better contact with the ball, ie, neither too much divot nor too little ball. Mindy wrote that assuring this orientation at address corrects setup errors "...if they have crept in unnoticed." This is not to say that clubface will always be square (necessarily) at impact but rather that it helps me "get more club on the ball." Does this help anyone else? SD

March 1st, 2010, 2:38 am #2

I will try that the next time out. Thanks!

-
Cheers,Bob

SGI, Fl

Regards,
Bob

March 4th, 2010, 5:09 am #3

In practice I have been following Blake's instructions for address setup more closely. As many of you know, Mindy recommended that the last check one should make before starting your backswing, or your forward press if you do one, is to look down the fairway and make sure your head is set such that your left eye is almost vertically above the right eye (for a right-handed golfer). I am finding that when I do this correctly I make better contact with the ball, ie, neither too much divot nor too little ball. Mindy wrote that assuring this orientation at address corrects setup errors "...if they have crept in unnoticed." This is not to say that clubface will always be square (necessarily) at impact but rather that it helps me "get more club on the ball." Does this help anyone else? SD
Upon further reflection it comes to mind that the last move of the setup being to position "right eye under left eye," this can be combined with (or thought of as a part of) Richard Wax's twisting the rubber brick. In other words, as you close your slightly open shoulders (last move of setup) you can also assure right eye under left eye as part of the same motion.

Is anybody still out there? SD

March 7th, 2010, 9:12 am #4

Jim,

On the Mike Douglas video Mindy didn't do "right eye under left" until well after impact. Was his instruction about the eye levels a later refinement?

http://community.webtv.net/RoverII/MindyBlakeSwing

Tom

March 8th, 2010, 8:03 pm #5

In his first book, GSOTF, Blake only mentions the "right eye under left" concept in figure 31, After Impact, and in figure 32, The Finish. He emphasized it much more in the second book, GTTB, in the "Address" section (p. 63) and the "Press" section, where he devoted almost a full page to the idea (pp. 65-66). The last two paragraphs in the "Press" section are as follows:

"Turning the head in this way is a deliberate check for correct posture. In fact, the position of the head at the address--facing a point about two feet ahead of the ball--should be such that the ball, the target and, most important, the line from the ball to the target, can all be seen simply by turning the eyes.

"The reason for this is that, when you are striking a ball which you know will be propelled in a certain direction, it is difficult to stop your inclination to anticipate the movement. With the head in the recommended position
and able to follow the ball moving only the eyes, there should be no temptation to look up, and interfere with the mechanics of the swing, as the club is swung through the ball."

Jim

March 8th, 2010, 9:13 pm #6

Thanks Jim. I guess among current players Annika Sorenstam and David Duval (at his best) would come closest to Mindy's head positioning.

Tom

March 9th, 2010, 5:25 am #7

In his first book, GSOTF, Blake only mentions the "right eye under left" concept in figure 31, After Impact, and in figure 32, The Finish. He emphasized it much more in the second book, GTTB, in the "Address" section (p. 63) and the "Press" section, where he devoted almost a full page to the idea (pp. 65-66). The last two paragraphs in the "Press" section are as follows:

"Turning the head in this way is a deliberate check for correct posture. In fact, the position of the head at the address--facing a point about two feet ahead of the ball--should be such that the ball, the target and, most important, the line from the ball to the target, can all be seen simply by turning the eyes.

"The reason for this is that, when you are striking a ball which you know will be propelled in a certain direction, it is difficult to stop your inclination to anticipate the movement. With the head in the recommended position
and able to follow the ball moving only the eyes, there should be no temptation to look up, and interfere with the mechanics of the swing, as the club is swung through the ball."

Jim
I like his idea and I'm still experimenting with it. To get close to having the right eye under the left eye means I need to bend over more from the hips at address. I focused on this today and hit the ball GREAT. Still having some problems with wanting to lose my spine angle at impact (coming up), but I believe his advice is helping me.
Regards,
Bob

March 9th, 2010, 8:06 pm #8

Bob,

If you look at figure 12 in GTTB you can see that golfer's trunk is well bent over.

In recent years I have been hearing and reading that a golfer should not worry about keeping the head still during the swing. However, Jack Nicklaus, in his "Golf My Way" continued to emphasize a relatively still head throughout the swing. Arnold Palmer also considered it important and difficult. Blake thought it to be extremely important. He did a couple of things to accomplish that goal. One was his forward press which he eventually decided should be done with a "push" of the right leg. The other was moving the hips toward the target during the takeaway.

From the "Press" section of GTTB:

"Look at the target by turning my head so that my left eye is almost vertically above the right eye. Then, before starting the swing, I do a push with the right leg. This is quite a definite and deliberate movement, making the legs feel alive, and it is the same movement you would perform instinctively before throwing a stone."

From "The Takeaway" section of GTTB:

"In the normal swing, there is a weight-shift to the right and then a move into the ball. My movement is opposite. I push the club away from me so that I can pull it through the ball and counter this movement by shifting my weight to the left. Again, this is the same movement you would use in throwing a stone. Therefore, after the press...The swing is started by an instinctive movement of the legs, which push the club straight back from the ball. The hips move toward the target and swivel 45 degrees until they are parallel to the line of flight. If the pelvis is forward and the club is not taken around the body, the hips will automatically cease to turn once they have reached this position."

This business of moving the hips toward the target during takeaway might be construed as a complex action, but if you are set up in an open stance with toes of both feet turned toward the target (toes of left foot pointed almost at the target), the hips will move toward the target in the takeaway and the feeling will be that you're getting the upper body "behind the right hip." You can video your swing to see what's happening to your hips during the takeaway. At end of takeaway the upper body begins to feel stretched against the lower body. The instruction for the legs to push the club stright back in the takeaway is something I've never mastered. This reads something like John Redman's idea that the club should be "dragged" back by hip turn. Jim

March 10th, 2010, 4:08 pm #9

I like his idea and I'm still experimenting with it. To get close to having the right eye under the left eye means I need to bend over more from the hips at address. I focused on this today and hit the ball GREAT. Still having some problems with wanting to lose my spine angle at impact (coming up), but I believe his advice is helping me.
Bob,

Here's a link to Mindy on the Mike Douglas Show which shows his posture during a demonstration. Although this video was taken before Mindy wrote The Technique Barrier, I think the degree of bend at that time was probably the same as a few years later when Mindy updated his Reflex Swing.

Addresshttp://community-2.webtv.net/Nooning/Mi ... page2.html

Tom

March 10th, 2010, 6:25 pm #10

Thanks Jim. I guess among current players Annika Sorenstam and David Duval (at his best) would come closest to Mindy's head positioning.

Tom
Two great golfers would seem to offer at least anecdotal evidence for the right-eye-under-left idea. I wonder if Duval will ever score another 59. He's come back but is yet to regain his top form. In his prime Duval also used a strong left (lead) hand grip like Mindy. Jim

Confirmation of reply: