I think I have enough for now ...

I think I have enough for now ...

July 21st, 2012, 4:27 am #1

Well, I've been finding and raising lots of Zebra Longwing caterpillars. Since these butterflies can live up to 6 months, I'm thinking I don't need to raise anymore for a while. How many can I actually support with nectar and host plants in my garden? LOL!

This is my little indoor cage that I rear them in until I can create the portable garden container for outdoors in the shade. At this point, I'm in no rush to create the container garden!

Caterpillars and chrysalis galore!!!!

~Becky~

<span style="width:164px;text-align:center;font-family:sans-serif;font-size:12px;">
Click for weather forecast</span>

July 22nd, 2012, 12:40 am #2

You sure do have alot! Don't they crawl all over each other when looking for a place to pupate? I can picture them all getting ticked off when one crawls on them and the whole container rocking like crazy!

Leah
Ocala, Fl
Zone 8B

July 22nd, 2012, 3:37 am #3

Well, I've been finding and raising lots of Zebra Longwing caterpillars. Since these butterflies can live up to 6 months, I'm thinking I don't need to raise anymore for a while. How many can I actually support with nectar and host plants in my garden? LOL!

This is my little indoor cage that I rear them in until I can create the portable garden container for outdoors in the shade. At this point, I'm in no rush to create the container garden!

~Becky~

<span style="width:164px;text-align:center;font-family:sans-serif;font-size:12px;">
You must be helping out the population! Awesome!!

Linsey
MN
USDA hardiness zone 4b
Heat zone 5
Sunset zone 43
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Henderson ... 5821426493

July 23rd, 2012, 7:47 pm #4

Fantastic - I'm so jealous!

Sherry
Zone8/9

July 27th, 2012, 4:34 am #5

Well, they are starting to emerge from their chrysalises. A few though have turned black. Apparently a disease got them. Possibly Polyhedrosis or something else. Maybe another caterpillar stepped on or bit them while they were pupating which may have caused the thin skin to rupture?

July 31st, 2012, 1:17 am #6

Way cool on raising and releasing all those Zebras!!!

I love the spookieness of the Zebra Longwing chrysalis. Reminds me of that vampire monster thingie in the movie Salem's Lot. Would sure hate to find a six foot one of those hanging onthe woods!!! LOL!!!

~ Cat (Edinburg, TX - Lower Rio Grande Valley)

July 31st, 2012, 3:16 am #7

~Becky~

Becky great job on raising those zebras!! I wish I was as successful this year with my cat raising. I'm getting my milkweed ready for the monarchs when they make it down here. I hope your butterflies find plenty of food!!!

Cat you live very close to me. I also live in deep south Texas. I'm from Harlingen. It's good to see a butterfly enthusiast on this forum that was actually in my area lol

Erika

August 1st, 2012, 4:11 am #8

I have released almost all of the emerging Zebra Longwing butterflies. I've been seeing quite a few of them flying around my yard lately. No surprise, I suppose. LOL!

I can't get over the fact that they can live up to 6 months! I didn't know there were any butterflies that would live more than a few weeks. Way cool!

~Becky~

Confirmation of reply: