I'm not sure he is happy!

I'm not sure he is happy!

May 12th, 2012, 12:23 pm #1

Please don't be upset I have posted back to back, but I wanted to post this photo.
Last evening I was setting on the porch and thought I would take some photos. The hummers enjoy setting on the welcome sign and do it all the time, I thought I would just snap a few pictures and as I did I notice after I shot and the flash would go off, he would make this funny thing with his beak. I really think I was making him mad, so I stopped. However, I thought this was a cute photo.

I don't understand why my photos look so blurry, when they are so sharp on my computer, is there a better way to post them to keep the sharpness?

Jodi
South Central Ohio

May 12th, 2012, 12:57 pm #2

It was smart of you to end your photo session if the hummer was getting agitated, I hear they can be very territorial! . Seriously, why get him upset, you did the right thing. I have had hummer that the minute the camera comes out, they disappear. I'd rather enjoy the here and now than not at all.

Pam
Matawan,NJ 7a

May 12th, 2012, 2:21 pm #3

Please don't be upset I have posted back to back, but I wanted to post this photo.
Last evening I was setting on the porch and thought I would take some photos. The hummers enjoy setting on the welcome sign and do it all the time, I thought I would just snap a few pictures and as I did I notice after I shot and the flash would go off, he would make this funny thing with his beak. I really think I was making him mad, so I stopped. However, I thought this was a cute photo.

I don't understand why my photos look so blurry, when they are so sharp on my computer, is there a better way to post them to keep the sharpness?

Jodi
South Central Ohio
Is that a black-chinned hummingbird? Is it possible I saw one here in Rhode Island? I had one on my feeder this morning and his/her head and neck looked very dark, similar to that picture.

May 12th, 2012, 2:34 pm #4

Jodi
South Central Ohio
Jodi you photo is very clear to me and for whatever reason he is clearly not very happy about something but it is a great shot. He might have spotted another male in his territory.

I don't believe it is a black chinned. Depending on how the light is reflecting off their feathers the male Ruby throat head can appear black. The ruby throated is the only one that is generally seen in the eastern part of the country.

Penny
NY
USDA hardiness zone 6a
Heat zone 4
Sunset zone 39
Penny
Zone 6a
Western NY state

May 12th, 2012, 6:57 pm #5

Jodi
South Central Ohio
Jodi, the image sharpness might have been affected when you edited it. What method did you use to crop/resize the pic? I pulled it into Paint Shop Pro and adjusted the light & contrast, then sharpened it. To my eyes, it's now a clearer image. Would you like me to email it to you?

Patrick
USDA Zone 8b
Heat Zone 3
Sunset Zone 5
SeaTac, WA...one cool place

May 12th, 2012, 9:08 pm #6

Jodi
South Central Ohio
Lisa** This was a Ruby Throat, it just looks black. That is the only kind we have around here.

Penny** Your right, there was other hummers invading his territory at the time, and they were all fueding too.

Patrick** I would appreciate your email of the photo. I use Photoshop to resize the photos for Photobucket. I must be doing something there that makes them less sharp then what I am seeing on the computer.

Thanks Everyone

Jodi
South Central Ohio

May 13th, 2012, 3:48 am #7

Jodi
South Central Ohio
What a great picture! I find that hummers take off when they notice the camera pointed at them. I wonder if it looks like a predator to them.

Sigrid

May 13th, 2012, 4:33 am #8

Jodi
South Central Ohio
Jodi - Very cute photo! He looks like he is laughing!

~Becky~

<span style="width:164px;text-align:center;font-family:sans-serif;font-size:12px;">
Click for weather forecast</span>

Confirmation of reply: