Hummingbird food

Hummingbird food

July 16th, 2017, 9:24 pm #1

How long can I keep hummingbird food in the freezer. I'm trying to get ahead of the game, I'm feeding a gallon of nectar a day.

July 16th, 2017, 9:57 pm #2

A gallon a day, wow! Lucky to use an ounce a day here.

Why freeze? Why not just make a gallon of sugar water a day?

Ken
Central NJ
usda zone 6b

July 17th, 2017, 12:11 am #3

How long can I keep hummingbird food in the freezer. I'm trying to get ahead of the game, I'm feeding a gallon of nectar a day.
Oh my!! I can not even imagine how any hummingbirds you are feeding. I know you can make it up in advance and store for a week (for sure) in the refrigerator. Although I cannot even imagine finding space for 7 gallons of sugar water in my refrigerator. Hope for better answers for you, why you must be spending all your time making sugar water and cleaning feeders.

Marilyn

July 17th, 2017, 5:00 am #4

Wow!!
I would think it would depend on if you have
a self defrosting freezer and non defrosting
and how long you plan on leaving it.
Me I would just boil enought for two days, fill
as you go.
Cathy P
Downers Grove, IL
Zone 5
Bazuhi@sbcglobal.net
Visit Me At:
https://www.facebook.com/Cathy-Ps-Hummingbird-Gardens-885457968170727/

July 17th, 2017, 4:02 pm #5

Holy cow!! Where in the world do you live?? I want to move there! So how many hummers do you approx. have?
I usually make two cups and keep them in the fridge for about 2 weeks. I only need a very small amount (which I change every 3 days).

July 17th, 2017, 5:43 pm #6

Mary,
Quite a few hummers your feeding (upwards of 4-500) a day. Can only guess where your located?

I've never had the thought of freezing my solution but don't see why it wouldn't work, sugar solution probably freezes at a lower temp. than regular water. Be careful of the container you use if you do freeze the solution, glass will crack for sure!
We only have the good fortune of using about 1 1/2 qt. a day so 2 pt. size bottles are kept in the fridge at the ready and making up a couple or three pt. a day is no great hardship or very time consuming.

Happy Humming birding,

Joe M.
Lakeland, FL

July 17th, 2017, 7:43 pm #7

I live in the country and I am probably the only hummingbird feeders around for miles. When I lived closer to town I only had one maybe two hummingbirds.
I thought when I put up more 32oz hummingbird feeders I wouldn't have to fill them so often---WRONG, the more feeders I put up (six 32 oz. and two smaller feeders) the more hummingbirds I have.
I make 16 cups of nectar a day, sometimes twice that a day. I am going through probably 10 lbs. of sugar a week or more.
Come February before they come back, I want to have a good supply in our freezer in the garage so I don't have to scramble to make a lot. I know the number of birds will come slowly but by next summer I will be overwhelmed with birds.
Are my calculations on number of birds correct?
1 oz. = 29.5735 grams x 32 oz. = 946.35 per feeder x 4 feeders = 3,785.408 grams divided by 5 grams (each bird eats a day) = 757 birds. That seems WAY to high.

July 17th, 2017, 8:21 pm #8

Mary,
Again you didn't mention where in the US you live ("in the country") is a bit vague.
Here is a link to the most logical article I have read that uses volume as an estimate of the number of hummingbirds using the feeders.
https://fieldguidetohummingbirds.wordpr ... r-numbers/

The numbers are based on consumption research of Black-chinned hummingbirds and would be abut the same for Ruby-throated hummingbirds. I suspect your location is in the western US, with larger birds that consume more solution a day per bird and why I offered a 4-500 number.

Your estimate does seem a bit high but very possible. I question the need to freeze solution over the winter months since at the start of the season, as you mention, your numbers start low and as the days go by the numbers increase.
Same experience here in MA with a much smaller population of Ruby-throats. I start with 16 oz. and a few feeders but never have used 32 oz. feeders. I gauge my need to put up more or larger volume feeders by how quickly the least used feeder is depleted, If the least used is not depleted in 3 days I reduce the number of feeder, if its depleted in less than 3 days I add a feeder.
Cheers,

Joe M.
Lakeland, FL

July 17th, 2017, 8:30 pm #9

I live in Southern California, Julian to be exact. Didn't even know they would have hummingbirds out here. I live at 4800' elevation, so we get a little snow in the winter.
The first time I knew there were hummers is when I was sitting on our steps when we had just moved in and a hummer literally came right up to my face and looked at me like it was saying "You going to feed me?" I ran inside and immediately made some hummingbird food, it's gone up hill from there.

July 17th, 2017, 9:20 pm #10

Thanks for the info regarding your location and elevation.
Without a doubt you have hoards of Anna's Hummingbirds using your feeders, with a few Costa and Black-chinned in the mix.
The Anna's make life miserable for the other but they do get in to use feeders regardless, since with so many birds using the feeders it's hard for any of the birds to exert a real ability to keep other birds from using the feeders.

Your location, and knowing which species is predominate would seem to validate my estimate with a fair amount of inaccuracy. More likely its closer to 500 than 700 hummers.

Must be a real circus watching the activity around your feeders.
Joe M.
Lakeland, FL

July 18th, 2017, 5:27 pm #11

WOW...I make 2 cups every 3 days and toss most of it. Can you post a video?

Northlake, IL

July 18th, 2017, 5:49 pm #12

I make 4 ounces every 2 days and even most of that little bit gets thrown out.
Dan
East-central Iowa
Zone 5a

July 18th, 2017, 6:24 pm #13

Hi Mary. I've frozen pre-made nectar, but in much smaller amounts. I used ice cube trays and then stored the cubes in freezer bags so that I could take out only what I needed at the time.

You could probably use pint containers or larger and then store in the larger freezer bags.

The frozen nectar will remain somewhat syrupy to the touch. At least in my freezer on my fridge it did. I should have tried freezing it in my upright freezer that is set much lower than my fridge/freezer.

In the bags I saw no sign of the cubes degrading like a cube left out in the freezer would from the air moving around, it tends to take the moisture out of it and the cube shrinks in size.

Good luck! Let us know how it turns out.
Pete
Green Bay, WI

July 18th, 2017, 9:05 pm #14

I took a video of my birds, but can't figure out how to post it. I have tried uploading to Photobucket, but it's more trouble then it's worth. I have tried just to "copy" and "paste" but that doesn't work. Any suggestions?

July 18th, 2017, 9:37 pm #15

https://www.flickr.com/gp/152784174@N07/5Sj161

Sorry about it being sideways, but I don't know how to rotate it on Flickr.