HUMMER SEEN ON OCTOBER 24, 25, 26, 27, 28 & 29!!

HUMMER SEEN ON OCTOBER 24, 25, 26, 27, 28 & 29!!

October 24th, 2010, 3:59 pm #1

We have been out of town from October 19 to 23. I (Michael) was in the backyard fixing our small garden pond that had run dry (dry due to a kink in the water supply tubing). Prior to going out of town, our garden was still going strong due to the absence of a hard freeze. There must have been a freeze while we were gone, because the canna leaves and Salvia coccinea are toasted. However, other plants continue to fare well including Salvia guaranitica, Salvia greggi, and Lonicera sempervirens.

Anyway, back to the story. After filling the pond, I see....... a hummingbird flitting about the aforementioned flowers!! I was shocked. This little guy (or girl) was fat. As much as I would like to make this out to be something other than a ruby throated hummingbird, there was no trace of rufous anywhere on this bird. The back and tail were totally green with white tipped tail feathers. Despite having 8 feeders still hanging in the backyard, the bird was only going to flowers. After sampling the flowers in the backyard, it went towards the front yard (which is on the south side of our house). I suspect the hummer is gone now, so no opportunity to obtain a picture.

This is our second latest sighting of a hummer (our previous late date was October 27.)

As Yogi Berra said, "It ain't over till it's over".

Kathi and Michael Rock
Madison, Wisconsin
Zone 4/5
Last edited by kathijr on October 29th, 2010, 8:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

October 24th, 2010, 4:43 pm #2

Wow, Kathi. I didn't expect to get another sighting report from anyone north of me. My garden is still going pretty strong, but I haven't seen a hummer in 11 days. I've been spending much less time watching for them so it's possible I've missed one.

Dan
Zone 5
East-central Iowa
Dan
East-central Iowa
Zone 5a

October 24th, 2010, 5:16 pm #3

We have been out of town from October 19 to 23. I (Michael) was in the backyard fixing our small garden pond that had run dry (dry due to a kink in the water supply tubing). Prior to going out of town, our garden was still going strong due to the absence of a hard freeze. There must have been a freeze while we were gone, because the canna leaves and Salvia coccinea are toasted. However, other plants continue to fare well including Salvia guaranitica, Salvia greggi, and Lonicera sempervirens.

Anyway, back to the story. After filling the pond, I see....... a hummingbird flitting about the aforementioned flowers!! I was shocked. This little guy (or girl) was fat. As much as I would like to make this out to be something other than a ruby throated hummingbird, there was no trace of rufous anywhere on this bird. The back and tail were totally green with white tipped tail feathers. Despite having 8 feeders still hanging in the backyard, the bird was only going to flowers. After sampling the flowers in the backyard, it went towards the front yard (which is on the south side of our house). I suspect the hummer is gone now, so no opportunity to obtain a picture.

This is our second latest sighting of a hummer (our previous late date was October 27.)

Kathi and Michael Rock
Madison, Wisconsin
Zone 4/5
I had a female RTHU yesterday, the 23rd. That's the latest migrant for me. I was hoping for a Rufous, but I think she was a Ruby. I didn't get a real good look though.

Pam
Matawan,NJ 6B

October 25th, 2010, 2:44 am #4

Kathi and Michael Rock
Madison, Wisconsin
Zone 4/5
Wow, congrats! You inspired me to spend some time out in my garden--no freeze here yet, lots of flowers, but alas--no hummers. Still, it was nice to get outside and enjoy the flowers, which normally are toast by this time of year.

Donald

Zone 4 Red Wing MN
Donald
Red Wing MN
zone 4

October 25th, 2010, 10:56 am #5

Kathi and Michael Rock
Madison, Wisconsin
Zone 4/5
Oh Kathi that is just wonderful - what a sight to see upon return - makes one wonder if it had stayed a few days while you were gone. Nice!

Carol
Milford, CT
Zone 6

NLN

October 25th, 2010, 8:56 pm #6

Kathi and Michael Rock
Madison, Wisconsin
Zone 4/5
Kathi, Michael,

I know how excited y'all are about getting such a late migrant. Although we caught 4 Ruby-throateds yesterday, I had not seen one here at Casa Colibrí in a week. That is until today! And, I am pretty sure I saw 2 different birds. One appeared to be an immature male while the other was a female.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Nancy L Newfield
Casa Colibrí
Metairie, Louisiana USA
USDA Zone 9

October 26th, 2010, 4:41 am #7

Kathi and Michael Rock
Madison, Wisconsin
Zone 4/5
Thanks for all of your nice comments everyone. It's great to have The Forum to turn to share our excitment with others who understand!!

Late this afternoon (Monday, October 25) I was looking out our dining room window when I saw a hummingbird using our First Nature feeder hanging right near the window. At first I thought I was seeing things, but then I got closer to the window and lo and behold, it was a very thin looking Ruby-throated hummingbird (the bird that Michael saw on Sunday was quite well nourished and healthy, whereas this one did not appear to be in such great condition.) I did not see any buffy on the body and heard no "chipping" noise (the window was open because of our unusually warm temperatures), which probably rules out a Selasphorus. Anyhow, like the bird from Sunday, it fed quickly and was never seen again. I went out into the yard immediately and looked around and saw no evidence of it. Wow, another posting to Journey North (where there are no other postings for Wisconsin for quite some time.)

I guess it's not over until it's over. We keep hoping for that Rufous someday, but we'll enjoy the late Ruby-throated migrants while we still can.

Kathi and Michael Rock
Madison, Wisconsin
Zone 4/5

October 26th, 2010, 2:23 pm #8

Kathi and Michael Rock
Madison, Wisconsin
Zone 4/5
Kathi

Way to go , how fantastic to get a hummer this late and that far north. Been without hummers here for about a month now. Ive had enough frosts here that not much is flowering , very sparse black and blue and some salvia darcyi are hanging in , also some lady in red and reseeding plants showing red.

Steve
Martinsville, In
Heat zone 6
Sunset zone 35

October 26th, 2010, 2:45 pm #9

Kathi and Michael Rock
Madison, Wisconsin
Zone 4/5
That is amazing that there are so many late migrants this year. Perhaps there were quite a few late nesters.

Penny
NY
USDA hardiness zone 6a/6b
Heat zone 4
Sunset zone 39
Penny
Zone 6a
Western NY state

October 26th, 2010, 4:19 pm #10

Kathi and Michael Rock
Madison, Wisconsin
Zone 4/5
Interesting to see that there are still a few hummers up north. We haven't seen any since the 12th but still do have a couple feeders up. We haven't had a frost yet so the little red and little yellow morning glories and the Cape Honeysuckle are still blooming in case any late ones come by.

Confirmation of reply: