Hummer activity very low

Hummer activity very low

June 19th, 2012, 1:08 pm #1

Hummer action here continues to be very low. I am only seeing one hummer visit a couple times in the morning and a couple times in the evening. Last year my monarda first bloomed on June 20th and it was used extensively by multiple hummers. This year the monarda is peaking now, but it is barely getting used. Sitting at the window looking for hummer action is getting pretty boring. This May was a big improvement from last year, but last June was better. I sure hope July picks up quite a bit.

Dan
Zone 5
East-central Iowa

<span style="width:180px;text-align:center;font-family:sans-serif;font-size:12px;">
Click for weather forecast</span>
Dan
East-central Iowa
Zone 5a

June 19th, 2012, 3:47 pm #2

It's also low in my backyard in Ontario, Canada, but I hope it will get better soon.

Sigrid

June 19th, 2012, 4:15 pm #3

Hummer action here continues to be very low. I am only seeing one hummer visit a couple times in the morning and a couple times in the evening. Last year my monarda first bloomed on June 20th and it was used extensively by multiple hummers. This year the monarda is peaking now, but it is barely getting used. Sitting at the window looking for hummer action is getting pretty boring. This May was a big improvement from last year, but last June was better. I sure hope July picks up quite a bit.

Dan
Zone 5
East-central Iowa

<span style="width:180px;text-align:center;font-family:sans-serif;font-size:12px;">
Same here. My Monarda is just coming into bloom. My backyard doesn't have a lot blooming but the front is loaded with blooms and We haven't seen the first sign of a hummer in the front at flowers or feeders.

Penny
NY
USDA hardiness zone 6a
Heat zone 4
Sunset zone 39
Penny
Zone 6a
Western NY state

June 19th, 2012, 5:10 pm #4

Dan
Zone 5
East-central Iowa

I think we can all look for july action to pick up , at least I hope so. Action here is about the same neither increasing nor decreasing and mostly males so Im assuming females are nesting big time.

Steve
Martinsville, In
Heat zone 6
Sunset zone 35

I love Hummingbirds
I love Hummingbirds

June 19th, 2012, 9:37 pm #5

Dan
Zone 5
East-central Iowa

Same here, Dan, I see my pair of RT about every 3 days or so.

June 19th, 2012, 9:46 pm #6

Dan
Zone 5
East-central Iowa

well they must be hanging or hiding out somewhere. As I recall the spring migration was much better this year with a larger number of birds spotted and recorded coming in over the Gulf.

Penny
NY
USDA hardiness zone 6a
Heat zone 4
Sunset zone 39
Last edited by Pennytoo on June 19th, 2012, 9:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Penny
Zone 6a
Western NY state

June 20th, 2012, 12:35 am #7

Dan
Zone 5
East-central Iowa

I think they are hiding out at my house because I had 10/11 of them out at one time here. Oh, I hope it picks up for you all!

Paula
nw PA
zone 5b/6a
heat zone 4

<span style="width:170px;text-align:center;font-family:sans-serif;font-size:12px;">

June 20th, 2012, 1:24 am #8

Dan
Zone 5
East-central Iowa

this is just like last year. I didn't see a male though last year until we got back from Myrtle Beach the first week of July I think it was. This year I do know that there is a male in the area as I did see one earlier this year. I guess he didn't want to wait for my plants to grow and bloom

Penny
NY
USDA hardiness zone 6a
Heat zone 4
Sunset zone 39
Last edited by Pennytoo on June 20th, 2012, 1:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
Penny
Zone 6a
Western NY state

June 20th, 2012, 3:11 am #9

Dan
Zone 5
East-central Iowa

It's always low here even in the Fall when they migrate south to my area. I rarely if ever see more than one at a feeder at a time. I see the female every other day or so now. No clue if it is the same bird or not. I just know it is a Ruby-throated female and she prefers the feeder over all the blooms... and I think of the money I could have saved by just using feeders! Ha!

~Becky~

<span style="width:164px;text-align:center;font-family:sans-serif;font-size:12px;">

June 20th, 2012, 5:55 am #10

Dan
Zone 5
East-central Iowa

I went out during the last 20 minutes of daylight and counted 11 birds taking their last long drink of the day at the three feeders within view. There was one other feeder that is closely guarded by a dominate male that I could not see. This is much more than I have ever had at this time of the year. I wonder what July will bring?

Confirmation of reply: