How to counter-steer a motorcycle video

How to counter-steer a motorcycle video

April 16th, 2007, 12:47 am #1

Regards,
Bob
Lexington, Ky.

April 16th, 2007, 1:11 am #2

for so long I guess I learned to do this and didn't even know it existed. BTW, what,if anything,does this have to do with golf? Subconscious learning?
Regards,
Bob
Lexington, Ky.

April 16th, 2007, 1:21 am #3

When he showed the example of counter steering by pushing on the right handle bar, it was the weight shift to the right doing that made the bike move right, that was not true counter steering, here is true counter steering

April 16th, 2007, 1:58 am #4

Once you make up your mind it stays locked up tight
under any amount of evidential assault! I'm sure
glad you never arrested me! I'm even starting to
believe that the guy with the welded handlebars just
wasn't leaning hard enough! Dang!

April 16th, 2007, 7:55 am #5

There is a serious problem with that welded handlebars test. Nobody rides a bike with welded handlebars!! It is a totally absurd test.

Just get on a bike and you will see that you can turn to the right without first steering to the left. I think everybody agrees that countersteering is used very often in turning a bike. The problem is with those who say it is the ONLY way you can turn. That is simply not true.

Ham

April 16th, 2007, 12:14 pm #6

the test would be more convincing if the handlebars
were blocked to left turns but free to turn right
or vice versa. But the test still proves that you
can't turn a bike by leaning.

April 16th, 2007, 2:18 pm #7

How does a rider using no hands make a turn?

The answer...He shifts his weight using his hips. Remember,riding a bike is a balancing act.You must cause the bike to fall one way or the other. You can do this one of two ways...one way is to turn the handle bars in the opposite direction. Turn them left (very slightly) and the steering trail built into the geometry of the front fork will cause the bike to fall to the right and vice versa. The other method is to shift weight from side to side. The upper body will stay centered and the weight shift occurs in shifting the hips from one side to the other causing an imbalance and the bike will begin to fall.

A simple experiment...balance a broom with the heavey end up in the air and the pole placed in the palm of your hand.
(the more weight up at the top end the easier it will be to balance)

Take notice that (while your balancing) if you want to move the broom to the right you must first move your hand left to create the imbalance that starts the broom falling to the right.

It can't be done any other way.

April 16th, 2007, 2:31 pm #8

volunteer to show the no BS bike owners how to turn
it by shifting your hips. That would be fun to
watch.

April 16th, 2007, 2:45 pm #9

There is a serious problem with that welded handlebars test. Nobody rides a bike with welded handlebars!! It is a totally absurd test.

Just get on a bike and you will see that you can turn to the right without first steering to the left. I think everybody agrees that countersteering is used very often in turning a bike. The problem is with those who say it is the ONLY way you can turn. That is simply not true.

Ham
The reason you THINK you can turn without countersteering is because the movements are very small and undetectable.

Your thinking you can turn without countersteering is a common mistake and is a difficult concept for some people to grasp.Some never get it.

Ham, my statements are not ABSURD and you disagreeing with true proven physics makes you look like the unintelligent one.

Perhaps you could point to a Physics study that backs your ideas. I have supplied plenty of proof. You riding your bike around the block and then declaring that countersteering is not needed is not much of a scientific study.

April 16th, 2007, 2:50 pm #10

volunteer to show the no BS bike owners how to turn
it by shifting your hips. That would be fun to
watch.
Many people have.

How do you think they make the bike turn?

April 16th, 2007, 3:25 pm #11

The reason you THINK you can turn without countersteering is because the movements are very small and undetectable.

Your thinking you can turn without countersteering is a common mistake and is a difficult concept for some people to grasp.Some never get it.

Ham, my statements are not ABSURD and you disagreeing with true proven physics makes you look like the unintelligent one.

Perhaps you could point to a Physics study that backs your ideas. I have supplied plenty of proof. You riding your bike around the block and then declaring that countersteering is not needed is not much of a scientific study.
betcha it is all about degrees of, vs. black and white, just as in golf tips stuff....

And different ways of saying subjective experiences.

Momentum from a high center of gravity plays a part, I would imagine.

Is there any real correlation with a normal bicycle? I never counter steered that I recall when I rode like the wind in exuberant silliness as a kid...

April 16th, 2007, 4:54 pm #12

Many people have.

How do you think they make the bike turn?
A bycycle can be turned by leaning into a curve. What
happens is the bike counter-steers itself and corrects.
You would not be able to turn a big hog with no hands by
leaning.

I am reminded of a time when I was out on a jog and a kid
came by me on his bike with his right hand on the handlebar
and his left hand off to carry a book bag. He had to turn
right to get to the bus stop so he pulled on the right bar
and took a hard spill to his left.

April 16th, 2007, 5:14 pm #13

betcha it is all about degrees of, vs. black and white, just as in golf tips stuff....

And different ways of saying subjective experiences.

Momentum from a high center of gravity plays a part, I would imagine.

Is there any real correlation with a normal bicycle? I never counter steered that I recall when I rode like the wind in exuberant silliness as a kid...
This is all about riding normal bicycles and motorcycles.

As you rode while you where a child every turn you made you countersteered. You obviously didn’t realize you were doing it but you were.

How does this relate to golf???

I believe that people make moves during the golf swing that they are unaware of just as you are unaware that you are countersteering.
It is obvious to me that learning can occur subconsciously. Learning to ride a bicycle would be very difficult if you were taught to consciously countersteer. You are better off letting the natural instincts take over and just do what feels right. The countersteering will happen all by itself without any coaching and you won’t even realize you’re doing it.

The problem with golf is if you pick up a golf club and do what feels natural it will likely be wrong. So my belief is that in order to make a real change in your golf swing you have to change the mental image of what you are trying to achieve. It isn’t accomplished through learning positions but rather creating a new task to be performed.

People swing incorrectly because their mental image is flawed and they perform the same task over and over because it feels natural to what they perceive to be the correct thing to do. The best example of this is the over the top swing that plagues so many people. Isn’t it interesting that a quick mental change of Task such as throwing a club or chopping wood can instantly render a whole new swing that IS correctly on plane AND feels natural doing it?

I believe the real key is to find a new task that does render a true change and yet feels natural to perform. If they don't change the mental task they will forever be stuck where they are.

Ham
Ham

April 16th, 2007, 5:29 pm #14

the test would be more convincing if the handlebars
were blocked to left turns but free to turn right
or vice versa. But the test still proves that you
can't turn a bike by leaning.
but I think the main point that people have problems with is those who claim that you CANNOT turn a bike without countersteering. That is the problem here. I think countersteering is automatic for most people, but you CAN turn without doing it.

Ham

April 16th, 2007, 5:40 pm #15

When he showed the example of counter steering by pushing on the right handle bar, it was the weight shift to the right doing that made the bike move right, that was not true counter steering, here is true counter steering

what a retired policeman thinks ---what a goofy statement--- I think I'll levitate myself to the golf course--- It is well known I power the ball with my mind , no clubs involved. Balfour you are wasting your time.!!

Confirmation of reply: