How Lorena Does It

How Lorena Does It

July 29th, 2008, 4:56 am #1

On the cover of Aug 08 Golf Digest: Lorena Ochoa: How does she do it? 5' 6", 127 lbs, 290 yards.

In her own words: "Launch it with your lower body. All the power in my golf swing comes from my hips and legs. My lower body is pretty fast. As long as I get the sequence right from the top, letting my legs and hips get a head start on the downswing, I can keep all the energy I have in my upper body and release it at the ball. You don't have to be big or swing crazy fast to hit it long. You just need to make a good turn going back, and let your lower body lead coming down, your legs and hips pulling everything through."

Reads somewhat Mindy-like, eh, especially where she says, "ALL THE POWER in my golf swing comes from my hips and legs," and "...your legs and hips PULLING EVERYTHING THROUGH." She says her lower body is "pretty fast". She goes on to say that you don't have to swing "crazy fast." However, the fact that she points out that her lower body is "pretty fast" suggests to me that she moves her lower body through at a fast pace, not the 'dinner table turn' that Richard Wax advocates. Could it be that, unknown to her, she is not powering her swing but it actually just clearing her hips with her lower body move? She has a nice looking swing with the 'idiosyncrasy' of a head tilt backwards as she starts her downswing. That tilt gives her a Jack Nicklaus look at impact. Could her head tilt have a purpose? A pictorial of her swing sequence is also in the Aug Golf Digest. SD

August 10th, 2008, 3:42 am #3

On the cover of Aug 08 Golf Digest: Lorena Ochoa: How does she do it? 5' 6", 127 lbs, 290 yards.

In her own words: "Launch it with your lower body. All the power in my golf swing comes from my hips and legs. My lower body is pretty fast. As long as I get the sequence right from the top, letting my legs and hips get a head start on the downswing, I can keep all the energy I have in my upper body and release it at the ball. You don't have to be big or swing crazy fast to hit it long. You just need to make a good turn going back, and let your lower body lead coming down, your legs and hips pulling everything through."

Reads somewhat Mindy-like, eh, especially where she says, "ALL THE POWER in my golf swing comes from my hips and legs," and "...your legs and hips PULLING EVERYTHING THROUGH." She says her lower body is "pretty fast". She goes on to say that you don't have to swing "crazy fast." However, the fact that she points out that her lower body is "pretty fast" suggests to me that she moves her lower body through at a fast pace, not the 'dinner table turn' that Richard Wax advocates. Could it be that, unknown to her, she is not powering her swing but it actually just clearing her hips with her lower body move? She has a nice looking swing with the 'idiosyncrasy' of a head tilt backwards as she starts her downswing. That tilt gives her a Jack Nicklaus look at impact. Could her head tilt have a purpose? A pictorial of her swing sequence is also in the Aug Golf Digest. SD
"All the power in my golf swing comes from my hips and legs. My lower body is pretty fast. As long as I get the sequence right from the top, letting my legs and hips get a head start on the downswing, I can keep all the energy I have in my upper body and release it at the ball."

When a player says something like that it sounds like she thinks
upper body energy is the most important and it probally is, almost
like she is trying to hold it off.

Maybe she should have said "All the delaying action comes from my hips and legs, and then all my upper body power can release in to the ball.

Maybe she uses her hips and leg as a delaying action so she
can use the upper body power she has.

Is it possible that Mindy found a way to use the legs in a
similar fashion not to add to upper body power or hit with the legs but to make the power
everyone has naturally to "kick in" at the Right-later- time?

JC

August 11th, 2008, 3:24 am #4

How would you think Lorena or anyone "uses her hips an leg as a delaying action"? SD

August 12th, 2008, 4:15 am #5

I am not saying the hips and legs ain't involved in power obviously. Slide the hips to start the down swing ,bumb your hip Left to start the down swing ,move the left knee
toward the target to start the down swing, and on and on- everyone
has one
I think these ideas are all designined as a delaying or if you will
as a timming mechanism -to get the arms in posisition and whatever else the player
thinks is necacary to hit the ball correctly. IT gets their arms and hands
hands in to their most productive use and to be used at the most
productive time. The down swing begins from the ground up.
IMPROPER use of the lower body takes
us on to the subject of timming -what feels a certain way for one player
and may feel completely different to another.
THE hips and legs bring the upper body down to what some call the hitting area- hopefully with no help from the upper body, though even that is questioned by teachers like Crocker, and our old friend Dalton.

Any good player may use their lower body in a way that is easy to
see for us, but difficult to explain for them.
The idea of a delaying action to retain the magic lag is what
everyone wants too achieve. Can Lorena turn her hips even faster if
she wished? would it improve her swing? I don't know.
Fast swingers may imploy a delaying action out of necescity, or is it
slow swingers? CD, help me out on this one

IT just occurred to me that maybe Mindy wants us to use our legs to make
othrer parts work more efficiently and did not mean for to much
importance too be put on them. well at least as much as there is.

Lee TREVINO said he used his knees on as delaying action. I guess you could call that a delaying action using the lower body first. Dant'e 5 magic moves is a good reference book full
of ideas ideas
for using the lower body to stop or delay something(USALLY BAD)
from happening in another part of the body area in the swing the wrong way or too soon.
OVER THE TOP, fat,shank,slice,top.
SO I don't think players should think of the lower body just to generarte
power -it can flatten swing plane,to keep from hitting fat, slicecing..........
jc

August 16th, 2008, 6:49 am #6

I think a lot of the distance reports for the LPGA players is promotional hype. The longest hitters on the LPGA have maximum swing speeds under 110 mph, probably closer to 105mph. For the top sluggers on the PGA Tour, the maximum speeds are around 125mph, making the distance differential between the men and the women about 45 yards under identical course conditions.

When I was much younger, I observed that a very good 28 year old club amateur player could hit a 3-wood a bit farther than the average LPGA player could hit a Driver. I think that rule of thumb holds true today.

As for how to generate maximum club head speed and deliver it to the ball, I think there are some mechanical requirements, but I doubt that "delay" or "holding back" is one of them.

Tom

August 18th, 2008, 12:36 am #7

I've been to several LPGA tournaments and have seen Michelle Wie in the US Open Sectionals. The distances I observed correlated well with reports of the players distance in subsequent TV coverage.

Peter

August 19th, 2008, 11:18 am #8

I think a lot of the distance reports for the LPGA players is promotional hype. The longest hitters on the LPGA have maximum swing speeds under 110 mph, probably closer to 105mph. For the top sluggers on the PGA Tour, the maximum speeds are around 125mph, making the distance differential between the men and the women about 45 yards under identical course conditions.

When I was much younger, I observed that a very good 28 year old club amateur player could hit a 3-wood a bit farther than the average LPGA player could hit a Driver. I think that rule of thumb holds true today.

As for how to generate maximum club head speed and deliver it to the ball, I think there are some mechanical requirements, but I doubt that "delay" or "holding back" is one of them.

Tom
Some years ago they played several Australian Women's Opens on my home course. I spoke to the guy doing the laser distance measurements. Sophie Gustaffson and Karrie Webb were the longest drivers and both were around 285 meters off the tee. That is around 310-315 yards. A fair hit if you ask me!
Cheers
Mac.

Nicholas Demetriades
Nicholas Demetriades

June 21st, 2011, 2:06 am #9

I have found through trial and error in my own swing that a stronger or faster hip turn frees up the left side and creates more lag in my swing hence more power. For example my average carry distance for a 7 iron is approximately 140 yds. However when i make the same swing with a faster hip turn it becomes 160 yds plus. The head tilt keeps the club more on plane coming through the ball and creates a better posting action into the left side also adding more power to the shot.

Confirmation of reply: