How do you clean a hummingbird?

June 17th, 2006, 3:07 pm #1

I'm sure they're filthy little beasts, living outdoors all the time and all, so I started looking around for something I could put in the birdbath to clean them up a bit. I found these in a store in Mexico:

I figure they've got lots more hummingbirds down there than we do, so they must know what they're doing hygiene-wise. I got both kinds, but I'm already almost out of the "Frescura de Bosque" ("woodland fresh"). My question is do you think it's okay to use the "Invierno" ("winter fresh") version this time of year? Or maybe I should just get some more of the green one and send the other to Nancy to use on all those hummingbirds she bands every winter?

Sheri

June 17th, 2006, 3:54 pm #2

(Gee, I thought this was gonna be another culinary question.)

Tough call, Sheri. Which one mixes better with tequila?

June 17th, 2006, 3:57 pm #3

I'm sure they're filthy little beasts, living outdoors all the time and all, so I started looking around for something I could put in the birdbath to clean them up a bit. I found these in a store in Mexico:

I figure they've got lots more hummingbirds down there than we do, so they must know what they're doing hygiene-wise. I got both kinds, but I'm already almost out of the "Frescura de Bosque" ("woodland fresh"). My question is do you think it's okay to use the "Invierno" ("winter fresh") version this time of year? Or maybe I should just get some more of the green one and send the other to Nancy to use on all those hummingbirds she bands every winter?

Sheri
I've been using a bleach solution, but I'm not sure that was a good idea:

BEFORE:

AFTER:

Regards,
Bob
Lexington, Ky.

June 17th, 2006, 7:30 pm #4

Sheri
At least you didn't try a Magic Eraser, like I did:

June 17th, 2006, 7:47 pm #5

Sheri
That has to hurt

-
Cheers,Bob

USDA Plant Hardiness Zone 6a
Lexington,Kentucky
How to add a Signature
Regards,
Bob
Lexington, Ky.

June 17th, 2006, 11:09 pm #6

Sheri
Ow indeed! I've heard that they're not diswasher safe, but I wonder about dry cleaning....

June 17th, 2006, 11:33 pm #7

Sheri
. . . is the only way to go. Not only does it get your hummers clean, but at the same time you can clean the windows, walls, deck, etc., etc., etc. (The more pressure the better!!!!!)

Frank Janzen
Mountain Center, CA
Zone 9

June 17th, 2006, 11:43 pm #8

Sheri
Do you suppose I can use my Limpiador Antibacterial Colibri in the pressure washer? I mean, I want them to be not just "clean" but sanitary.

June 18th, 2006, 4:28 pm #9

Sheri
A FLAME THROWER will not only burn the germs right off
their little bodies, it will get rid of the feathers and
Bar-B-Q them for a quick munch if you are hungry for a snack.

Sherri, why not mix the two together, pour the mixture in your pressure washer and experiment.

June 19th, 2006, 11:51 am #10

Sheri
Y'all are just killing me here LOL!

Penny
Niagara Falls, NY
USDA zone 6a/6b
Heat zone 4
Sunset zone 39
Penny
Zone 6a
Western NY state

June 20th, 2006, 1:38 am #11

Sheri
Me too.

Dianne
Southeast Alabama
Heat Zone 8
Sunset Zone 31

July 1st, 2006, 5:39 pm #12

Sheri

well, i was thinking of using the traditonal washboard that our grandparents used to use..with liberal amounts of lye soap and some of the liquid sanitizer Sherri mentioned..
but then, we are in modern times.so why not just use a more traditional method..

but, to save on electricity, you could use a blowdryer to dry..

or you could hang out on the clothes line to dry..
( more old fashioned.)

the clothes pins may not hold the beak very securely, so best hang by little legs..

alice