Honeysuckle (Lonicera sempervirens)

Honeysuckle (Lonicera sempervirens)

May 17th, 2017, 11:46 pm #1

Our Honeysuckle are in full bloom, and our resident female Rubythroated Hummingbird is using them daily

Major Wheeler, two years old

My oldest L. sempervirens, no varietal name

May 18th, 2017, 1:54 am #2

Very nice... it's a nicer-looking plant than mine.
Dan
East-central Iowa
Zone 5a

May 18th, 2017, 4:02 am #3

Our Honeysuckle are in full bloom, and our resident female Rubythroated Hummingbird is using them daily

Wow, your 'Major Wheeler' is the same age as mine but yours is off to a much better start! Last year the three I planted seemed to do well and bloomed a bit but they seem to be going backwards this year. I think there is something wrong with them and am very close to pulling them out and starting over.

Further back in the garden I planted out a row of Lonicera dioica that I grew out from locally collected seed. They seem to be doing much better than the 'Major Wheeler', but are still a few years away from attaining a large size:

Donald
Donald
Red Wing MN
zone 4

May 18th, 2017, 4:18 am #4

My Lonicera sempervirens continues to look fantastic this week! It had suffered from aphids in the past but the problem seems to have largely cleared up, on it's own, with no help from me (not saying there aren't some now but not enough to bother me). Hummers have been hitting this plant daily...

I got this plant at a sale at Bartram's Garden, a historic site in Philadelphia, several years ago. No cultivar was mentioned so it might just be the straight species. I probably fertilized it with something last year - wish I could remember what! No fertilizer this spring though.

Wilmington, Delaware (USDA Zone 7a)

May 18th, 2017, 4:23 am #5

Ron, that is an awe-inspiring display! I hope the aphids are in the rear-view mirror now. Does your nameless Lonicera sempervirens rebloom well through the summer into fall like 'Major Wheeler' has a reputation for doing?

Donald
Donald
Red Wing MN
zone 4

May 18th, 2017, 4:41 am #6

It does re-bloom in the latter part of summer - but I help it along in late July with some "bloom booster" fertilizer usually. Not sure if it is any cultivar - none was mentioned. There was a big wall of these blooming at Bartram's Garden where I bought it - maybe offspring of one of those?

May 18th, 2017, 5:14 am #7

D. and Ron, beautiful honeysuckles. Ron, yours is nothing short of spectacular! Ours is just starting to bloom now. Don, that you for posting the photo of the Lonicera dioica---very interesting flowers.

May 18th, 2017, 12:46 pm #8

My sister, who passed away last summer, helped me build that trellis a few years ago. My honeysuckle looks so good and pest-free this year, it makes me wonder if I am getting some divine intervention from "the other side"!

My other theory is that the House Sparrows have learned to eat aphids (because they love hanging out on that vine)! Even Goldfinches are flying over there. Well, I'll take all the help I can get, with any sort of chemical-free pest management!
Last edited by RonDEZone7a on May 18th, 2017, 12:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

May 18th, 2017, 1:55 pm #9

My problem with the House Sparrow theory is the darned things breed so fast, born pregnant. My theory is that some winters no aphid eggs survive for unknown reasons. My own plants usually get hit but not always. For years Magnifica was the not always plant, this year it is a couple of widely separated Alabama Crimson.

May 18th, 2017, 2:58 pm #10

If I could only have one hummingbird friendly plant/flower in my yard it would be Coral Honeysuckle. They love it.

Confirmation of reply: