Honeysuckle - Aphids are back

Honeysuckle - Aphids are back

April 19th, 2016, 3:34 pm #1

For several years my coral honeysuckle was ravaged by aphids each spring. For some unknown reason, last year there were no aphids at all. Now that this year's growth has taken off I've been checking for aphids again. Yesterday, the first growth tip I checked had some aphids, but no others. This morning, I found several growth tips with developing aphid colonies. Most of the vine is still clean, but I know from experience there is little I can do to stop them once they show up. The good news, however, is that this year's vine is already loading up with healthy flower buds. In previous years aphids ravaged the vine before any good buds could form.
Dan
East-central Iowa
Zone 5a

April 19th, 2016, 3:53 pm #2

Yes I also have spotted the aphids. For those of us that have them its an ongoing battle. Im thinking of keeping my goldflame in a bush mode and maybe I can keep better track of its condition.
Steve W.
Martinsville IN.
Zone 6

April 19th, 2016, 4:02 pm #3

For several years my coral honeysuckle was ravaged by aphids each spring. For some unknown reason, last year there were no aphids at all. Now that this year's growth has taken off I've been checking for aphids again. Yesterday, the first growth tip I checked had some aphids, but no others. This morning, I found several growth tips with developing aphid colonies. Most of the vine is still clean, but I know from experience there is little I can do to stop them once they show up. The good news, however, is that this year's vine is already loading up with healthy flower buds. In previous years aphids ravaged the vine before any good buds could form.
Sorry Dan. So far I haven't seen any yet but that might change at any time. The darned things reproduce so fast, they can actually be born pregnant.
Southern New Jersey

April 19th, 2016, 8:39 pm #4

Like Ward, I haven't noticed any yet on my honeysuckles. I was out over the weekend trimming some of the errant vines back to allow for more circulation and better growth and didn't see any colonies yet but that isn't to say they aren't in there. I still need to cut back the largest and oldest plant and that is the one that usually gets hit the hardest if not checked very early.
Penny
Zone 6a
Western NY state

April 22nd, 2016, 1:56 pm #5

As we know we have to check the leaf clusters which is where they hide early on . I was over at my sisters house the other day and her coral honeysuckle is very full lots of flowers, but I checked one leaf cluster that apppeared a bit out of shape or overfull and busted her bubble showing the aphids. Even so she has many many flowers that dont appear to have escaped the aphids for now, good for her. As for me the only honeysuckle that is coming along and looking nice is a goldflame and like I mentioned on another thread I may just leave it as a bush or try to.
Steve W.
Martinsville IN.
Zone 6

April 22nd, 2016, 2:03 pm #6

I found some on an Alabama Crimson yesterday not I need to find the time spray the growing tips with an insecticide and see if I can catch it before it gets out of hand. Not likely! The aphids seem to love fast growing new shoots at first before they spread to the flowers. I was at least two years free, oh well.
Southern New Jersey

April 23rd, 2016, 12:56 am #7

Aphids cover at least 40% of the buds on most of our honeysuckles this year. I wonder if pruning them hard would help next year. I've tried blasting them with the watering hose, manually squishing buds with just enough pressure not to damage buds or in bad cases just pinching off the clusters entirely. I've seen hungry House sparrows occasionally eat aphids from the vines although I wonder if they also eat buds while they're at it.
-Adrienne
(Staten Island, NY Zone ~7)

April 23rd, 2016, 1:07 am #8

Every year its game on with aphids. I will spray with horticultural oil, but usually the best method is a good spray bottle with jets of water blasting them out of the leaf and flower clusters. In that process usually get aphids all over my hands but thats better than on my honeysuckles.
Steve W.
Martinsville IN.
Zone 6

April 23rd, 2016, 12:15 pm #9

I used to have a terrible aphid problem on my Coral Honeysuckle but, for the last few years, I have few or none. I see House Sparrows hopping around on my honeysuckle all the time now - I wonder if they are cleaning them up?
Wilmington, Delaware (USDA Zone 7a)

April 25th, 2016, 3:22 am #10

I haven't seen any aphids so far. Very early this year and the last couple, I've used Bonide systemic cultivated into the soil at the base of the vines. Mine are just beginning to bloom.

April 25th, 2016, 12:59 pm #11

I don't know if I would recommend a systemic insecticide on a hummingbird / pollinator plant as that stuff tends to linger for a long time in the plants, sometimes up to a year. Also many contain neonicotinoids like Clothianidin which are also toxic to pollinating insects like bees and are linked to bee colony collapse. Coral Honeysuckles is fairly inaccessible to honey bees but other smaller native bees may be pollinating it.
Wilmington, Delaware (USDA Zone 7a)

April 25th, 2016, 2:49 pm #12

I totally agree with Ron on this one. We don't have this issue, and I can only imagine that it must be so frustrating, but you may be poisoning the very pollinators you hope to attract. We always recommend in our Gardening for Hummingbirds program that people try to find organic or natural controls to insect problems like this as much as possible.
Madison, WI
Zone 5a

April 25th, 2016, 3:50 pm #13

It is totally frustrating to see plants start out looking beautiful then go downhill fast because of the aphid attack.
Steve W.
Martinsville IN.
Zone 6

May 9th, 2016, 4:23 pm #14

I have a bit of a dilemma. Last year I planted a honeysuckle vine in a different location and it did well for a first year vine with no sign of an aphid investation. Over the winter and in this early spring it has seemed to have not survived, in fact I claimed in an earlier post that it was dead seeing no sign of any new growth from the very bottom to the top of the vine. Gutter water does seem to pile up in the growth bed. Recently though what I thought was weed in the bed is in fact new honeysuckle growth. I dont know if I should leave it alone or to plant the vine I bought last year and didnt plant as a replacement for that honeysuckle which is struggling in that location. Hope I made a little sense or is it totally confusing.
Steve W.
Martinsville IN.
Zone 6

May 9th, 2016, 6:58 pm #15

I suspect the vine is receiving too much water and planting another one would just be wasting a good plant
Southern New Jersey