Honeysuckle - Aphids are back

May 22nd, 2016, 11:37 pm #31

For several years my coral honeysuckle was ravaged by aphids each spring. For some unknown reason, last year there were no aphids at all. Now that this year's growth has taken off I've been checking for aphids again. Yesterday, the first growth tip I checked had some aphids, but no others. This morning, I found several growth tips with developing aphid colonies. Most of the vine is still clean, but I know from experience there is little I can do to stop them once they show up. The good news, however, is that this year's vine is already loading up with healthy flower buds. In previous years aphids ravaged the vine before any good buds could form.
Keistin,it
I'm sure there are folks that have a problem with aphids in MA, just hasn't been a problem for me. Have "bee balm" that gets destroyed every summer by white flies there, but a relative 10 miles away has no problem with hers, go figure! I'm beginning to think that although many of these common pests are prevalent throughout the country, their impact and concentration tends to be localized to certain areas. Even their impact changes year to year in those same areas, some years severe others benign.
Joe M.
Lakeland, FL

May 22nd, 2016, 11:57 pm #32

For several years my coral honeysuckle was ravaged by aphids each spring. For some unknown reason, last year there were no aphids at all. Now that this year's growth has taken off I've been checking for aphids again. Yesterday, the first growth tip I checked had some aphids, but no others. This morning, I found several growth tips with developing aphid colonies. Most of the vine is still clean, but I know from experience there is little I can do to stop them once they show up. The good news, however, is that this year's vine is already loading up with healthy flower buds. In previous years aphids ravaged the vine before any good buds could form.
Yes, Joe. For example, I seldom am troubled by Japanese beetles, but they can certainly be found in this general region. I did have a minor problem last year with them chewing up my cuphea, but most years I barely see a single one.

We do have some sort of invasive, vining honeysuckle growing in the woods. I don't ever remember seeing its flowers damaged by aphids, but perhaps the vines serve as a reservoir for the aphid eggs, or overwintering forms.

May 27th, 2016, 8:38 pm #33

Kristin, No doubt the honeysuckle growing in the woods is the invasive "radicans" variety which seems to be indestructible and not affected by any pests.

When I spoke earlier about aphids it was in relation to the "coral" variety. In FL I have both varieties and only the "coral" is susceptible to aphids not the "radicans"!

Campsis Radicans growing in an Oak Tree 45' up

Coral Honeysuckle on an arbor. (No aphids yet)

Joe M.
Lakeland, FL

May 28th, 2016, 4:12 am #34

Joe, I think the honeysuckle we have growing wild in the woods is Lonicera japonica. It is supposedly a Lonicera, like sempervirens, but looks much different to me with its white/tawny yellow flowers. I don't remember seeing it affected by aphids, but can't help but wonder if they infest it sometimes, or lay eggs in it, or whatever.

That Campsis radicans photo is not a honeysuckle at all, a totally different family, so I don't imagine it would get the Lonicera sempervirens aphids. It doesn't seem to ever have serious problems, being quite vigorous. It does not typically grow wild around here in SW Pennsylvania, but people do plant it and it does extremely well.

May 28th, 2016, 4:06 pm #35

Kristin

You may remember that I mentioned the honeysuckle I gave my friend who has made major wheeler into a bit of a showpiece. Heres a few shots of that HS, sorry that my photo taking cant do it justice but you get the idea. Somehow I feel its partially mine but I cannot grow them without the aphids and he can. Some images from front and some from rear.

Steve W.
Martinsville IN.
Zone 6

May 28th, 2016, 5:47 pm #36

Beautiful planting, Steve!
Joe M.
Lakeland, FL

May 28th, 2016, 6:48 pm #37

Beautiful! I'm so envious that he doesn't have to deal with the aphids. My current crop of flowers is completely destroyed--shriveled, and missing flowers everywhere. It may be a month or more before it regains its form.

I hope your "child" continues to do well with his adoptive parent!

May 28th, 2016, 8:05 pm #38

Now that is how you grow honeysuckle.... no fence behind it, no confined space, all the room it wants.
Dan
East-central Iowa
Zone 5a

May 28th, 2016, 9:40 pm #39

My child is 3 going on 4 and will get nothing but bigger and better Im assuming.
Steve W.
Martinsville IN.
Zone 6

May 28th, 2016, 11:18 pm #40

Despite all the aphids and my cutting off all the most infested blooms earlier in the week, I've actually never had so many blooms. If only I had some hummers to use them when they open.

Dan
East-central Iowa
Zone 5a

May 29th, 2016, 12:23 am #41

Oh my goodness, Dan, that IS a lot of flowers! Mine had maybe 2/3 as many flowers this spring, its best spring ever, but there were no hummingbirds to visit them.

I just saw a hummingbird this afternoon fly to my honeysuckle, investigate a few shriveled blossoms, then flew off (disappointed, I suppose!) to my feeders. I have seldom seen my vine so devastated by aphids. There are usually at least a few decent flowers in even the worst infestations, but this time there's pretty much nothing but badly shriveled and dying blossoms. It was frustrating that there were no blossoms for the poor little bird, when there had been so many a few weeks ago. Maybe I should just shear everything off, burn the cuttings, and see what grows.

Oh, and by the way, this is all happening in SW Pennsylvania.

May 29th, 2016, 3:07 am #42

Well I am trying honeysuckle this year, I tried it many many moons
ago
I planted the following this spring, in fact 5 went in yesterday
3 Lonicera sempervirens 'Coral Honeysuckle'
2 Lonicera sempervirens 'Alabama Crimson'
1 Blanche Sandman Lonicera sempervirens
1 Gold Flame - Lonicera × heckrottii
I wanted to get Major Wheeler but they didn't have any at my nursery
and I figured I'll keep looking locally

Here is a very informative article about Honeysuckle Aphids and I am
going to book mark this for my reerence
It explains the insect and what to do......

http://www.mortonarb.org/trees-plants/t ... ckle-aphid
Cathy P
Downers Grove, IL
Zone 5
Bazuhi@sbcglobal.net
Visit Me At:
https://www.facebook.com/Cathy-Ps-Hummingbird-Gardens-885457968170727/

May 30th, 2016, 3:38 am #43

My photo looks real good from a distance, but up close there are quite a few mangled blooms. Each day I'm still finding more aphid colonies, despite the calendar nearing June. One thing I've noticed... the vast majority of the aphid infestation is on the right(east) half of the vine. The left(west) half is pretty clean and is loaded with good blooms.
Dan
East-central Iowa
Zone 5a

May 30th, 2016, 6:20 am #44

Steve and Dan, those are beautiful honeysuckles!!! It is such a striking vine when it's in full bloom. I only wish it bloomed more in the fall when increased numbers of hummingbirds were around.

Despite 6 honeysuckle vines in full bloom, we've seen only occasional visits this spring---we have a bunch of feeder junkies I guess!!
Madison, WI
Zone 5a

June 4th, 2016, 2:41 pm #45

I used Neem oil on both of mine. The aphids were still there when I checked on second day, third day they pretty much were gone. Some of the leaves on one plant were yellow not sure if it was the Neem or damage from the Aphids. After 5 days there was still some Aphids on it , nowhere near the amount before I sprayed. Im going let mother nature do its thing and see what happens. Still getting blooms and the female is still visiting them.
Northlake, IL