Homemade hummingbird perch

Homemade hummingbird perch

July 13th, 2009, 8:31 pm #1

I notice that my hummingbirds really like to perch on the tomato cages that I use to support plants around the garden. When cleaning out my shed, I found a few rings that had come off of broken cages and decided to tie them to shepherd's hooks that have hummingbird feeders or plants hanging from them.

Here are a few pictures - the last one proves that they like this new perch as they are playing their own game of King of the Ring!

Carol WNY
Amherst, NY
Zone 5

July 13th, 2009, 9:10 pm #2

Excellent idea Carol. I have also hung rings to the topcross bar on an arbor with a hook and then hung a feeder at the bottom of the ring. The perch on the ring that way also. If you have a smaller ring your could wire it at the top of the larger one and let it hang free on the bottom and they could use it as a little swing

Penny
Niagara Falls, NY
USDA zone 6a/6b
Heat zone 4
Sunset zone 39
Penny
Zone 6a
Western NY state

July 14th, 2009, 4:45 am #3

I notice that my hummingbirds really like to perch on the tomato cages that I use to support plants around the garden. When cleaning out my shed, I found a few rings that had come off of broken cages and decided to tie them to shepherd's hooks that have hummingbird feeders or plants hanging from them.

Here are a few pictures - the last one proves that they like this new perch as they are playing their own game of King of the Ring!

Carol WNY
Amherst, NY
Zone 5
I like to make the homemade perches.

Dianne
Southeast Alabama
Heat Zone 8
Sunset Zone 31

July 14th, 2009, 12:10 pm #4

Carol WNY
Amherst, NY
Zone 5
Carol - An excellent idea and real cute photo!

Carol
Milford, CT
Zone 6

July 14th, 2009, 3:40 pm #5

Carol WNY
Amherst, NY
Zone 5
Dianne, I am glad to see your post. I was beginning to worrry about you.

July 14th, 2009, 3:44 pm #6

Carol WNY
Amherst, NY
Zone 5
Carol, great idea. I see them on my tomato cages too. Earlier I had one of the little mini greenhouses on my porch full of seedlings. The little male that has been with me all season would perch and preen on the little rod that goes across the top, especially when it rained.

July 16th, 2009, 11:06 am #7

Carol WNY
Amherst, NY
Zone 5
Linda,
They do seem to like the thickness of that thin wire, don't they? I also made a perch for them in my vegetable garden by taping two bamboo stakes together and topping it with a wooden nob with a straightened piece of coat hanger stuck through it. It sticks up above the tall flower border in that part of the yard so I can check and see them there often.

Whatever it takes to keep tabs on those hummingbirds!

Carol WNY
Amherst, NY
Zone 5

July 24th, 2009, 10:22 pm #8

Carol WNY
Amherst, NY
Zone 5
Carol, I've also noticed my hummers love the tomato cages...think I'll try to make one of your perches!

[/IMG]

Zone 7B
North Carolina Piedmont

July 25th, 2009, 1:24 pm #9

Carol WNY
Amherst, NY
Zone 5
Maybe I need more purchase in my garden and that is why I am not seeing them. I think I will go dig out all those bamboo stakes in the garage that aren't being used and put perches all over the yard.

Penny
Niagara Falls, NY
USDA zone 6a/6b
Heat zone 4
Sunset zone 39
Penny
Zone 6a
Western NY state

July 25th, 2009, 1:49 pm #10

Carol WNY
Amherst, NY
Zone 5
Penny, after all these days, it seems like we finally have a 'resident' hummer. I think it is a young female. Even my first year, they came much earlier. It's just a bizarre season. The guaraniticas are barely flowering. You should be getting fledgelings soon. The adult male appears to have moved on.

Priya
Zone 7, Maryland

Confirmation of reply: