Hermine got me - but I feel fortunate

September 2nd, 2016, 1:00 pm #1

I don't post much since I only get the occasional hummer.

We were 150 miles east of Hermine but it still uprooted one of my firebushes My lake is brackish as it feeds to a bayou off Tampa Bay and a 3:00 A.M. storm surge flooded my hummer garden so only time will tell which plants are salt-tolerant and will survive....

Hopefully Burke, Rhonda and the others up that way have survived safely.

Picture through blown out screen in swimming pool cage

[/IMG]

Uprooted firebush

[/IMG]

4' Surge, next high tide at 3:00 P.M.

[/IMG]

Cannas line the full length of the bottom of my raised box (45'), grown from seed JP sent me. I hope some of them survive the salt intrusion, the hummers do enjoy them.

[/IMG]

Tom M
St. Pete, FL

September 2nd, 2016, 2:02 pm #2

Good luck with your plants. I suspect the canna will survive but check in later and give us an update. At least the water didn't reach your house.
Southern New Jersey

September 2nd, 2016, 2:21 pm #3

We were 150 miles east of Hermine but it still uprooted one of my firebushes My lake is brackish as it feeds to a bayou off Tampa Bay and a 3:00 A.M. storm surge flooded my hummer garden so only time will tell which plants are salt-tolerant and will survive....

[/IMG]

Uprooted firebush

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

Cannas line the full length of the bottom of my raised box (45'), grown from seed JP sent me. I hope some of them survive the salt intrusion, the hummers do enjoy them.

[/IMG]
Tom,

Thanks for posting and letting us know that you are ok---hopefully, other Florida Forum members are also safe. Awesome photos. Best of luck to you as you restore your plants and deal with the damage. Thinking of you all!!

Madison, WI
Zone 5a

September 2nd, 2016, 2:24 pm #4

[/IMG]

Uprooted firebush

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

[/IMG]
Holy cow is you bush totally out of the ground or knocked over?
Maybe it can still survive with rinsing the roots?
I hope everything makes it thru maybe it will be diluted
with all the rain. Glad your safe!
Cathy P
Downers Grove, IL
Zone 5
Bazuhi@sbcglobal.net
Visit Me At:
https://www.facebook.com/Cathy-Ps-Hummingbird-Gardens-885457968170727/

September 2nd, 2016, 6:23 pm #5

[/IMG]

Uprooted firebush

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

[/IMG]
Good to hear that you are okay. It will be interesting to see what survives from the salt water exposure.

September 2nd, 2016, 8:01 pm #6

[/IMG]

Uprooted firebush

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

[/IMG]
Tom, You may get lucky with your plants assuming you get some drying conditions sooner than later. Tampa bay is not as saline as the Gulf and the surge may not have increased the salinity of the water by a great deal. Most of your plants may well survive unless they succumb to a fungal disease caused by their soaking.
Joe M.
Lakeland, FL

September 2nd, 2016, 9:15 pm #7

[/IMG]

Uprooted firebush

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

[/IMG]
Thanks for the well wishes folks. No further rise with the 3:00P.M. high tide, water receding now I'll stake the firebush tomorrow and keep my fingers crossed that the rest of the plants do survive, we have both fresh-water (bass) and salt-water fish (mullet) in the lake so hopefully the salt content is low enough that there is hope.

Sure hope the folks north of me are okay....

Tom M
St. Pete, FL

September 2nd, 2016, 9:28 pm #8

[/IMG]

Uprooted firebush

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

[/IMG]
Hi Tom,
I'm sorry to see all the damage to your property and plants but am glad you are OK. Hopefully some will recover or come back next year. Your property looks like such a peaceful place.
We're OK here. We're about 30 minutes due east of Cedar Key and we started getting extremely strong and constant wind and rain around midnight and it continued non-stop until 3 am. Our yard is almost entirely sand, so there's no evidence that it Evan rained. We lost electric around midnight and it is still out. We only lost one tree which was a scrub oak out back in the woods that I didn't like anyway There are branches and debris all over. Overall, I'd say we were pretty lucky.

It's getting pretty warm in the house and the hubby is getting crankier with each degree the temp rises. I'll just make trips to an air conditioned mall til the electric cones back on. Lol
Take care,
Rhonda
Never stop enjoying life,
Rhonda

Rhonda Furlong
Englewood, Florida
Zone 10a

September 3rd, 2016, 2:39 pm #9

[/IMG]

Uprooted firebush

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

[/IMG]
Hi Rhonda,

I'm glad you're okay there, my sister in Lecanto lost power for only three hours - very fortunate. When I talked to her yesterday morning at 07:30 A.M. she was already watching Ruby's so they must have survived okay too. It is pouring buckets here this morning as I'm writing this post so hopefully the fresh water will dilute out any remaining salt and my plants will survive, fingers crossed Joe is right about the low salt content.

Sure would like to hear from Burke.

I'll post a follow-up in 30 days on how my plants are doing.
Tom M
St. Pete, FL

October 6th, 2016, 3:12 am #10

[/IMG]

Uprooted firebush

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

[/IMG]
Hi Tom,

The incoming hurricane got me thinking about you and your plants after Hermine. It's been a month, did they survive? Maybe you can post some new pics to show the current status of them? Thanks!

Rhonda
Rhonda

Rhonda Furlong
Englewood, Florida
Zone 10a

October 6th, 2016, 2:19 pm #11

[/IMG]

Uprooted firebush

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

[/IMG]
Hi Rhonda,

So far everything is still alive, but the cannas look really ratty and I can't tell if they are in decline or just stressed right now. I was able to tie/stake the firebush and it is doing well.

My thoughts are with Becky and the folks on the other coast, it is really going to be bad over there....

St Pete Tom
Tom M
St. Pete, FL

October 6th, 2016, 6:13 pm #12

[/IMG]

Uprooted firebush

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

[/IMG]
Tom, glad to hear that you were able to save some and hopefully the rest will recover.

This is going to be a big one! I hope Becky will be OK. I'd be scared if I were on the Atlantic coast. I'm still trying to convince my son and his girlfriend who are in Volusia county near Daytona to get to my house. They're afraid if they leave that they may not be let back in for a while. He landscapes and plans on working Saturday to clean up debris. They are in a block built house so I think it will hold up. My other son is in Orlando and I made the same offer to him. The mom in me would rather they come here.

Rhonda
Rhonda

Rhonda Furlong
Englewood, Florida
Zone 10a

October 7th, 2016, 9:35 pm #13

[/IMG]

Uprooted firebush

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

[/IMG]
Hoping for safety of all down that way!

If you can get a sack of gypsum and spread it around the plants and then water it in a little that will help with the salt. I know you'll probably look foolish watering your plants right now, but if you wait a few days and hopefully get dry weather I'd give it a try.
Pete
Green Bay, WI

October 8th, 2016, 2:31 pm #14

[/IMG]

Uprooted firebush

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

[/IMG]
Your kids come out okay Rhonda?

Looks like they really dodged the worst weather on the other coast, can't wait to see a post from Becky. I hope her damage was minimal.

Pete, gypsum huh? Pelletized or granular?

Tom M
St. Pete, FL

November 18th, 2016, 5:48 am #15

Hi Rhonda,

So far everything is still alive, but the cannas look really ratty and I can't tell if they are in decline or just stressed right now. I was able to tie/stake the firebush and it is doing well.

My thoughts are with Becky and the folks on the other coast, it is really going to be bad over there....

St Pete Tom
Tom,

Sorry that I'm just now responding, I somehow missed your post. Both of my sons survived with no damage. The one in Volusia lost electric for 2 days but that was the extent of it.

Hermine and Matthew were my first experiences with hurricanes ever and I'm glad they didn't hit us too hard though I know others weren't as lucky. I saw worse damage from tornadoes and blizzards in Ohio. We were without electric for a week in below 0 weather one winter, and had a small tornado go right down through our property one summer, pulling 200+ year old walnut, oaks, cherry and apple trees right out by the roots.

Rhonda
Rhonda

Rhonda Furlong
Englewood, Florida
Zone 10a

Confirmation of reply: