Got a new plant - Japanese Honeysuckle

July 18th, 2013, 4:29 pm #16

Needed to replace my Major wheeler that got burned up last summer. Got this at Lowes for half price - 8 bucks. I know it's late in the season but figured if I get a head start maybe it will bloom next spring.

[/IMG]

<span style="width:488px;text-align:center;font-family:sans-serif;font-size:12px;">
Click for weather forecast</span>

Heat Zone- Hot
Well, almost a year later this thing hasnt bloomed at all. No berries or seeds either, I've been looking for em. I thought it would climb up my trellis but it wont even do that. Maybe it needs a bigger pot -

[/IMG]

<span style="width:488px;text-align:center;font-family:sans-serif;font-size:12px;">

Heat Zone- Hot
Northeast Missouri

July 18th, 2013, 8:00 pm #17

Needed to replace my Major wheeler that got burned up last summer. Got this at Lowes for half price - 8 bucks. I know it's late in the season but figured if I get a head start maybe it will bloom next spring.

[/IMG]

Heat Zone- Hot
Mike,

I really hate to sound like the bad guy here, but we recommend in our Gardening for Hummingbirds program that people not plant this particular honeysuckle. It smothers and strangles native plants and is really bad for the environment. Here's a link:

http://www.nps.gov/plants/alien/fact/loja1.htm

We really are not two of those sometimes annoying "native plant" people who go "tsk, tsk" when someone uses an exotic plant in their garden (and we have many ourselves---we just make sure that they are not invasive in our habitat), but this is a plant that we feel has an outstanding native counterpart (Lonicera sempervirens) and that we can make some kind of an impact by campaigning against the use of Japanese Honeysuckle.

I'm afraid that having it in a pot (although it may never bloom in such a small pot), does not really solve the problem of it's invasiveness since it is also propagated by the numerous seeds contained in the berries that follow the flowers (birds eat the seeds and then create new plants.)

Sometimes a bargain is really not a bargain when it's the wrong plant. We cannot tell you what to do, but we think you would be so much happier with the right honeysuckle and you could give it a happy home in the ground where it belongs.

Please don't hate us Mike! Please let us know what you decide to do.

Michael and Kathi Rock
Madison, WI
Zone 5
Madison, WI
Zone 5a

July 18th, 2013, 8:29 pm #18

[/IMG]

Heat Zone- Hot
I realize this is politically incorrect statement but the cow is long out of the barn on this one and there is no bringing it back in. While there is every reason to keep it out of ones yard because it is so rampant it long ago became one of the most common vines in the east maybe even more common than poison ivy and virginia creeper. And it does have wildlife value. A comparison study was done a few years ago on two patches of woods in Pennsylvania, one without Japanese Honeysuckle and one with it. The "with it" woods had higher numbers of birds. I am not in favor of this plant being offered for sale but another one within its invasion zone won't make any difference.
Southern New Jersey

July 18th, 2013, 8:35 pm #19

[/IMG]

Heat Zone- Hot
Mike,

I have certainly seen the rampant overgrowth of Japanese Honeysuckle down here, but I love it anyway and I believe that it is a major source of nectar for northbound Ruby-throateds in the spring. Makes me wonder what hummers used before it was introduced into this country in 1881, the year my grandfather was born. To many southerners, the sweet fragrance often seems to be an affirmation of the south.

Nevertheless, if it is bad for the ecology, we need to restrain ourselves. Of course, if it fails to flower, no seeds will be produced, but no hummers will be benefited either. Actually, I have never been able to keep it alive in my yard.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Nancy L Newfield
Casa Colibrí
Metairie, Louisiana USA
USDA Zone 9b
http://www.casacolibri.net/
Nancy L Newfield
Casa Colibrí
Metairie, LA

July 18th, 2013, 8:35 pm #20

[/IMG]

Heat Zone- Hot
Ward,

There is no point in arguing and I agree that birds and other wildlife love this plant, but I can only imagine how many new plants would be created in a warm place like Austin, Texas if Mike plants this in his yard. Nurseries should not be allowed to sell this plant period. I like to see a native plant survive if it can and Japanese Honeysuckle takes that chance away. We struggle trying to keep Trumpet Creeper under control in our zone 5a garden, I can't even imagine how much work it would be to keep this honeysuckle under control in a zone 8 or 9 garden.

However, I don't want Bob to shut this thread down, so this is my last comment and Mike should do what he likes.

Michael and Kathi Rock
Madison, WI
Zone 5
Madison, WI
Zone 5a

July 18th, 2013, 8:43 pm #21

[/IMG]

Heat Zone- Hot
When we are looking for half-hardy bird within our Christmas Bird Count territories we always check the honeysuckle patches. If they are around, most of the orioles, catbirds, thrashers and such will be found there. The think patches are also roosting places for Long-eared and Saw-whet Owls.

If Austin isn't within the range of Japanese Honeysuckle I would agree that it should be destroyed. Austin may actually be too hot and dry for this species.
Southern New Jersey

July 19th, 2013, 12:14 am #22

[/IMG]

Heat Zone- Hot
Ward, your comment made me lol. Thanks. Anyway, since it hasnt bloomed or produced any seeds I dont think it has caused any harm. Maybe I will just let it freeze this winter cause it's too bulky to bring inside with the trellis.

So, what kind of climbing hummingbird vine can anyone suggest? I had a Major Wheeler that did pretty good till it burned up a couple summers ago. What else is there?

Heat Zone- Hot
Northeast Missouri

July 19th, 2013, 1:28 am #23

[/IMG]

Heat Zone- Hot
My favorite honeysuckle to date is Alabama Crimson Coral Honeysuckle. It grows a little better than our PNW native Orange Honeysuckle. The trouble is, it's hard to find Coral Honeysuckle anymore...

Ruth
Everett, WA
Zone 8
<span style="width:164px;text-align:center;font-family:sans-serif;font-size:12px;">
Ruth
Everett,WA
Zone 8

July 19th, 2013, 2:02 am #24

[/IMG]

Heat Zone- Hot
I concur with Ruth. I put in an Alabama Crimson this year and I love this plant!, despite I've had to water the crap out of it during this hazy, hot and humid weather we have been having these past few weeks. There are plenty of places to get one online or through your local garden club.

BTW, Sweet Hamelia! I just got mine a week ago, looking forward to seeing it get bigger!

SpaceMan
Zone 7a - SouthCentral PA
-------------------------------------------
I know the voices in my head aren't real...
But they DO have some GOOD IDEAS!
Mark
S.C. PA "The Shire"
Zone 6b/7a

July 19th, 2013, 2:16 am #25

[/IMG]

Heat Zone- Hot
Mike, I hope I wasn't too hard on you---just wanted you to know what you were getting into.

Other ideas for vines that could take your heat might be Trumpet Creeper (which is invasive too, but it blooms for a lot longer than Japanese Honeysuckle) or Small Red Morning Glory (we could send seeds.) Scarlet Runner Bean or Cypress Vine might be another ideas. Nancy suggests Lonicera Arizonica for the Desert Southwest, but unfortunately it's not for sale anywhere.

Michael and Kathi Rock
Madison, WI
Zone 5
Madison, WI
Zone 5a

July 19th, 2013, 2:25 am #26

[/IMG]

Heat Zone- Hot
Not at all. I know y'all are trying to help. I think I will try another Major Wheeler when this vine fizzles out.

Thanks Spaceman! That thing has really done well after it nearly froze last winter. I really like it.

Heat Zone- Hot
Northeast Missouri

July 19th, 2013, 3:56 am #27

[/IMG]

Heat Zone- Hot
Lonicera arizonica seed is available from Southwestern Native Seeds in Tucson. I purchased some seed from them a couple of years ago and have a few small plants in containers that I haven't managed to kill yet.

Donald

Zone 4 Red Wing MN
Donald
Red Wing MN
zone 4

July 19th, 2013, 4:59 am #28

[/IMG]

Heat Zone- Hot
Thanks Donald for this fascinating website. It was fun to peruse it and look up all the plants that were not familiar to me. I'm assuming that most would not survive in the Midwest. Good to know that if Mike wants to try growing the Lonicera Arizonica (which looks just like Lonicera sempervirens but it's more heat resistant I'm assuming) that seed is available.

Mike, you might try Lonicera sempervirens 'Alabama Crimson'. This is easily available online. We have a small one in our yard and hummers love it despite its small size and we are assuming that it would do better in a warmer climate and be quite heat resistant and a wonderful hummingbird vine.

Next time you might want to try your honeysuckle in a lightly shaded location instead of full sun and planting it in the very early spring to give it time to get established before the really hot weather. Here is some info I found online from SF Gate regarding honeysuckle:

"Light Requirements

Most species of honeysuckle have light requirements ranging from full sun to part shade. This implies honeysuckle will grow well in any area of the garden except full shade, but doesn't tell the full story. Honeysuckle grow best in areas where their roots stay shaded and cool and their foliage receives some sunlight. This sunlight can be dappled light through trees or a couple hours of morning or evening sun with shade the rest of the day. Few species of honeysuckle can tolerate blaring sun all day long without suffering leaf burn or overheated roots.

Shady Choices

Of the many species of honeysuckle that will do well in partial shade, some are known to thrive in low light conditions. Orange honeysuckle (L. ciliosa) is native to North American forests where it grows as a partially shaded understory plant. Chaparral honeysuckle (L. interrupta) and California honeysuckle (L. hispidula) are two California natives that can grow in partial shade. Other North American honeysuckles that can fill your partially shaded garden include trumpet honeysuckle (L. sempervirens), twin berry (L. involucrata) and yellow honeysuckle (L. flava)."

We actually planted a Twin Berry or Lonicera involucrata in our yard last year and it's going great guns (still no flowers yet.) It will be interesting to see if hummers will use it.

Hope you can get this going for next season, as it's a "must have" plant for a hummingbird gardener.

Michael and Kathi Rock
Madison, WI
Zone 5
Madison, WI
Zone 5a

July 19th, 2013, 10:18 am #29

[/IMG]

Heat Zone- Hot
Any of the Coral Honeysuckle Lonicera sempervirens cultivars ought to do well in central Texas, if supplemental water can be supplied. A friend in Driftwood, Texas, grew a solid wall of it around his swimming pool.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Nancy L Newfield
Casa Colibrí
Metairie, Louisiana USA
USDA Zone 9b
http://www.casacolibri.net/
Nancy L Newfield
Casa Colibrí
Metairie, LA

July 19th, 2013, 2:45 pm #30

[/IMG]

Heat Zone- Hot
On second thought. I think I'll try that Alabama Crimson. Says it does best in full sun and thats what it will get. Appreciate all the advice.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/TWO-Alabama-Cri ... 5d3dd8c83a

Heat Zone- Hot
Northeast Missouri