Golf

Golf

May 1st, 2006, 6:19 pm #1

"is a game played below the waist."

Within that definition Blake is an
ideal application.

May 1st, 2006, 7:25 pm #2

Bobby Jones thought the game's essence to be centered much higher up: "Golf is a game that is played on a five-inch course - the distance between your ears." Do you agree with the below-the-waist quote? SD

May 1st, 2006, 8:26 pm #3

agree with it. I think that everything that happens
above the waist is strictly concerned with building
and dissipating momentum. All the stuff that will
improve the quality of ballstriking and score is
going on below the waist.

Snakedoc
Snakedoc

May 2nd, 2006, 2:40 am #4

As you know there are numerous golf theorists, instructors and writers who firmly believe the lower body should only provide a 'stable platform' for activity primarily above the waist. Is a lower-body-controlled swing demonstrably superior to an above-the-waist-controlled swing? There is an interesting video at Gideon Ariel's web site (arielnet.com) entitled the 'Biomechanics of Power Golf' that summarizes the research and experiments done by Ariel on the golf swing. In the video section it's listed under 'Golf Analysis' and is the one that is just under 52 minutes long. It makes a good case for the superiority of a lower-body swing. Jim

May 3rd, 2006, 8:54 am #5

Jim,

Thank you so much for pointing out that (52 minute) video on Gideon Ariel's web site (arielnet.com), namely the 'Biomechanics of Power Golf'. To me it makes a very good case for keeping the muscles of the arms and hands relaxed during the forward swing. It did not investigate why this is so difficult !!

This is where, I believe, the Blake swing comes in. It gives a way of keeping those 'transmission muscles' relaxed whilst still being able to return to the ball with a square clubface. I won't repeat points that I have made in previous postings to this forum but would encourage everyone to take a look at this video.

Regards, Chris Walker.

May 4th, 2006, 8:17 pm #6

Chris,
You have expounded before on how the arms must be relaxed even during the downswing in order to achieve the optimum reflex action, ie, transfer of leg-generated power to the hands. I have been concentrating on relaxed arms (at address) in my preset half backswing with promising results. Maximum reflex action seems to occur when arms are in their most relaxed condition when downswing begins. There is a conundrum here however, and it may be the source of why some forum members don't 'get it' when you have written about relaxed transmission muscles.

First, how do you get the arms from their low position at address to the higher position at top of backswing--effort must be expended to get them there? In GtTB Blake wrote: "The swing is started by an instinctive movement of the legs, which push the club straight back from the ball." Even if the legs are doing the pushing, the arms would must have structure/contraction (not be limp) in order for the legs to push them back. Do you agree that the legs push the club back from the ball? From the top, assuming a good trail elbow position has been maintained, the legs can drag the arms/hands down and through impact. Again, wouldn't the arm/hand assembly require structure in order for it to be dragged down by the legs? If the arms were totally relaxed (without structure) at the top, how could they be dragged down by leg action. It would seem that an intricate balance of relaxation-contraction of arm muscles would be necessary to achieve an optimum reflex action.

You posted a while back that you intended to experiment with Mindy's grip change. Has that that worked out? Jim

May 5th, 2006, 8:04 pm #7

Jim,

Firstly, I did try the grip change / grip completion once more but again without success. It just lead to a great deal of inconsistency.

Secondly, relaxed 'tranmission muscles'. I like what you say about the importance of having the arm muscles relaxed as the downswing starts. If you achieve this (with the arms in the correct configuration), you are more than half way towards a reflex action. So, how is this possible ?

Well, you should be able to get the club to the top of the backswing with the arm muscles reasonably relaxed - ie. in complete contrast to someone who has the muscles of their hands and forearms tensed up at address. The turning of the torso and the muscles of the shoulders should achieve this. I have found that the legs cannot completely drive the backswing. When I have tried that, the hips (which must be pushed towards the target at address) turn too far (away from the target) and you end up in a very poor position at the top.

You are then quite correct in saying that the arms and hands must have a particular 'structure' at the top of the backswing if the legs are going to able to drag them and the club down. In the past I have suggested the exercise of taking a normal backswing (except not too far round behind you) and then, at the top, closing the clubface by ay least 30 degrees.

On another aspect of a Blake swing: I have recently discovered how important it is to have the shoulders square or only very slightly open at address (albeit the hips are way open). This is indeed what Mindy recommended in GTTB but is in contrast to setting up with the shoulders open and then twisting them back to the square position. Albeit, we do end up in the same position so there could be discussion as to which approach is the better. If I am not careful, I start getting my shoulders way too open at address. This is what I must guard against.

Regards, Chris Walker.

May 6th, 2006, 3:59 am #8

Chris, What is the result if your shoulders are too open at address? Jim

May 6th, 2006, 4:55 pm #9

Jim,

Having the shoulders open at address results in:

a) the trail arm and elbow not being as far across the torso as is necessary,

b) difficulty taking the club back from the ball on the correct plane. You will tend to take it back outside of the line towards the target.

c) difficulties turning over the trail hip-joint during the backswing.

I have to guard against a tendency to have my shoulders open at address because such a position can feel so nice and relaxed. Having the shoulders square but the hips way open is a position which takes a good deal of concentration to achieve.

Talking about relaxation... when things are going really well with my swing, I manage to keep my arms and hands relaxed right through impact. They certainly go through nice and fast if this happens.

Regards, Chris Walker.

May 6th, 2006, 6:45 pm #10

I agree that when my arms are relaxed they come through faster, contributing to....greater clubhead speed. Jim

Confirmation of reply: