Getting rid of bees

Getting rid of bees

June 25th, 2012, 2:35 pm #1

The bees try to take over my feeders. Anyone know how to get rid of them? They cover the feeder stations & I have to fight them off to take the feeders in for refills, & they are relentless!

June 25th, 2012, 6:06 pm #2

I have had good luck with puting a shallow bowl of the old sugar water from the feeder in a sunny location close to a feeder. as the bees or in my case yellow jackets find the open bowl I move it a litle away from the feeder until it is far enough away that they don't bother the feeders as much. I also use yellow jacket traps baited with old sugar water for the yellow jackets as I have more of a problem with them than I do bees.

Penny
NY
USDA hardiness zone 6a
Heat zone 4
Sunset zone 39
Penny
Zone 6a
Western NY state

June 25th, 2012, 10:48 pm #3

The bees try to take over my feeders. Anyone know how to get rid of them? They cover the feeder stations & I have to fight them off to take the feeders in for refills, & they are relentless!
Thanks....I'll definitely try it!

June 25th, 2012, 11:07 pm #4

I had a really bad problem with wasps at my feeders last autumn. I was using Perky Pet 4-Flower feeders. I had popped off the yellow "bee guards" since I read wasps and bees are actually attracted to the color yellow. Still the wasps came.

I took down the 4-Flower feeders and replaced them with the UFO style. Virtually all of the wasps and bees are gone. With the good weather, I might see one or two wasps/bees infrequently inspecting the UFO feeders, but they quickly leave when they can't find a way in.

The 4-Flower feeders are a great favorite of my hummers. I didn't want to put them away so I moved them to the other side of my house and partly hid them on the deck. The hummers found them and all is well. Since there are only green plants (no flowers) on my deck I haven't seen any wasps/bees coming there at all.

Cali
Southern California Coast

June 26th, 2012, 10:42 am #5

Libra
Another option if you haven't already tried it is to use the saucer style feeders or as Cali said UFO feeders. such as the Humzinger feeder. Because of the design the bees aren't able to access the nectar. Keeping feeders in a shadier location also helps.

Penny
NY
USDA hardiness zone 6a
Heat zone 4
Sunset zone 39
Penny
Zone 6a
Western NY state

June 26th, 2012, 3:09 pm #6

The yellow jackets would empty my feeders - shade or sun, it didn't matter. I did buy the hummzinger feeders and have never had a problem. Plus the hummzingers are so easy to clean.

Linsey
MN
USDA hardiness zone 4b
Heat zone 5
Sunset zone 43

June 26th, 2012, 3:29 pm #7

My main problem here are wasps and I just dont know if you can get rid of them completely but I do have a hummzinger which is not bothered by them and first nature which so far has little attention from them. Mostly they go to feeders we on this forum have referred to as the "$.97 feeders" I have 3 hanging from a trellis which is one of the hummers favs but also the wasps. So what I do is use a 1-4 ratio mix as opposed to a 1-3 mix in those tiny feeders and it isnt bothered as much and hummers still use it. There were times last summer when I went to an even lower mix at 1-5 and hummers still used it.

Another problem that happens is ants from time to time. Just the other day ants found my PP209 so out came my first ant moat and that is always fun watching the ants go craZy not being able to get to the mix.

Steve
Martinsville, In
Heat zone 6
Sunset zone 35

Last edited by Stevenindy on June 26th, 2012, 3:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Confirmation of reply: