Geiger Tree (Cordia sebestena)

Geiger Tree (Cordia sebestena)

June 8th, 2012, 4:56 am #1

Another interesting hummingbird plant... This is called the Geiger Tree (Cordia sebestena). It is found growing successfully into tree form further south of me in Miami and the Florida Keys. It can't handle freezing temps, so every winter it dies to the ground. It comes back every year and grows to a medium size shrub which seems to blooms constantly from early summer to frost. The fruit is very interesting looking, but is tasteless to me. It produces fruit from every bloom and they drop all over the ground below. I've never gotten a single volunteer from seed in my yard. It's a hummer magnet which may be why every flower produces fruit. I've never seen bees or butterflies use it, which is odd.

~Becky~

<span style="width:164px;text-align:center;font-family:sans-serif;font-size:12px;">
Click for weather forecast</span>

June 9th, 2012, 1:09 pm #2

Very interesting looking plant. Down in the Miami area I saw all kinds of different blooms. You are fortunate to be able to grow them where you are, especially since hummers love them.

Sigrid

NLN

June 9th, 2012, 2:46 pm #3

Another interesting hummingbird plant... This is called the Geiger Tree (Cordia sebestena). It is found growing successfully into tree form further south of me in Miami and the Florida Keys. It can't handle freezing temps, so every winter it dies to the ground. It comes back every year and grows to a medium size shrub which seems to blooms constantly from early summer to frost. The fruit is very interesting looking, but is tasteless to me. It produces fruit from every bloom and they drop all over the ground below. I've never gotten a single volunteer from seed in my yard. It's a hummer magnet which may be why every flower produces fruit. I've never seen bees or butterflies use it, which is odd.

~Becky~

<span style="width:164px;text-align:center;font-family:sans-serif;font-size:12px;">
Interesting, Becky. I have never seen one except in photographs. It is first cousin to the South Texas/Mexican Anacahuita Cordia boissieri http://www.wildflower.org/plants/result ... lant=COBO2, which is used by hummers as well. I have not tried either of them, but Joan is experimenting with Anacahuita.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Nancy L Newfield
Casa Colibrí
Metairie, Louisiana USA
USDA Zone 9b
http://www.casacolibri.net/

June 10th, 2012, 12:05 am #4

~Becky~

Thanks Sigrid and Nancy!

Nancy - Does the South Texas/Mexican Anacahuita Cordia boissieri have white blooms? The fruit/seed pods on sebastena looks different than the fruit on boissieri. I'll have to take a photo when the fruit develops so you can see the difference.

I wonder what Joan's secret is to getting the seeds to germinate?

~Becky~

June 11th, 2012, 12:53 pm #5

~Becky~

The Texas Olive has white blooms. I'll try to find a photo. I bought a very small tree online and planted it in a well-drained area in sandy soil as recommended. It didn't seem to be happy in it's new spot so I moved it. Still unhappy, so I potted it up. The root system looked fragile and it dropped it's leaves completely. I finally gave it another chance in a spot with better soil and it leafed out and is growing strong. The info says it can lose all of it's leaves over winter but I think in my zone it will retain it's leaves under ordinary circumstances.
While fooling around with this tree I thought I better try to germinate some seeds. The trick is using a heat mat and having patience. I don't have patience, but did manage to sprout about 8 seeds from maybe 16 or so. It did take weeks so be prepared to give them time.

Joan Garvey - Metairie, LA Zone 9

June 11th, 2012, 1:08 pm #6

~Becky~

Found a bloom picture. It didn't bloom this year but at least it survived and is finally growing.

June 11th, 2012, 1:38 pm #7

~Becky~

Very pretty flower!

June 12th, 2012, 2:51 am #8

~Becky~

Thanks Joan for replying to my question about how you germinate your seeds. The blooms look very similar to mine except the color. Very pretty! Does yours get hummer usage? Good shot of the blooms today!

~Becky~

June 12th, 2012, 7:42 pm #9

~Becky~

The plant didn't bloom this year yet and when it bloomed last year I wasn't living at the property so I can't answer that. I'm moving into the house tomorrow so at least I'll have a better chance of observing but there aren't any hummers around in the city at this time. I know that it is a hummer plant where it is native.

June 12th, 2012, 8:00 pm #10

~Becky~

Ah, the kind of plant that only blooms when the gardener isn't around. I have grown several of that type over the years.

Confirmation of reply: