First Scary sight of the Season!

First Scary sight of the Season!

June 8th, 2012, 5:59 pm #1

Yep JB is here, first japanese beetle of the season. When I saw this floating in my birdbath I immediately went to check my cupheas which always get hit first and hardest. Then of course into the soap bucket it went.

Steve
Martinsville, In
Heat zone 6
Sunset zone 35

Last edited by Stevenindy on June 8th, 2012, 6:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

June 8th, 2012, 6:01 pm #2

Steve
Now you are going to have poor Eldon freaking out!

Penny
NY
USDA hardiness zone 6a
Heat zone 4
Sunset zone 39
Penny
Zone 6a
Western NY state

June 8th, 2012, 6:13 pm #3

Yep JB is here, first japanese beetle of the season. When I saw this floating in my birdbath I immediately went to check my cupheas which always get hit first and hardest. Then of course into the soap bucket it went.

Steve
Martinsville, In
Heat zone 6
Sunset zone 35

Sorry Eldon.

Steve
Martinsville, In
Heat zone 6
Sunset zone 35

June 9th, 2012, 3:16 am #4

Steve
Martinsville, In
Heat zone 6
Sunset zone 35

Today, I found my first two Japanese beetles of the year just starting to feast on my Cuphea micropetala. Into the soapy-water cup of doom they went. I haven't seen too many in the last few years but the warm winter has caused a bug explosion. I'm getting to learn about a bunch of new insect pests. I've never noticed them on the Cuphea before either, but the early spring has caused it to start blooming now and I suspect the flowers are luring them.

June 9th, 2012, 3:22 am #5

Steve
Martinsville, In
Heat zone 6
Sunset zone 35

Danita

Sorry to hear about your beetles. For some reason they really like the cupheas. I hope its not too bad of an invasion this year.

Steve
Martinsville, In
Heat zone 6
Sunset zone 35

June 9th, 2012, 5:25 am #6

Steve
Martinsville, In
Heat zone 6
Sunset zone 35

Steve,

Thanks for the report. We have not seen our first beetle yet. Usually, it's around June 20, but I bet it will be earlier this year because of the warmer winter and spring. Right after I read your e-mail, I went out and checked our Cupheas and perennial sweet peas, but nothing yet thankfully.

Kathi and Michael Rock
Madison, Wisconsin
Zone 4/5

June 9th, 2012, 5:27 am #7

Steve
Martinsville, In
Heat zone 6
Sunset zone 35

I have yet to have this beetle show up. If any year though, it would be this one. I've lost many plants and parts of plants to so many critters and insects. I'll keep an eye out now I know what I'm looking for!

June 9th, 2012, 5:59 am #8

Steve
Martinsville, In
Heat zone 6
Sunset zone 35

Steve - Ugh!!!! Double ugh!!!! They are the very reason I can't grow Cuphea in my yard. (sigh)

June 9th, 2012, 4:21 pm #9

Steve
Martinsville, In
Heat zone 6
Sunset zone 35

Kathi , Linsey, and Becky

Yes they quickly destroy cupheas but schumannii seems to get hit the hardest . You have to really stay on top and check them daily . It almost makes you want to take them inside during this beetle period.

Steve
Martinsville, In
Heat zone 6
Sunset zone 35

June 9th, 2012, 5:12 pm #10

Steve
Martinsville, In
Heat zone 6
Sunset zone 35

I have seen one so far, but I know the war has just begun.

Paula
nw PA
zone 5b/6a
heat zone 4

<span style="width:170px;text-align:center;font-family:sans-serif;font-size:12px;">
Click for weather forecast</span>

Confirmation of reply: