First Rufous of the year.

First Rufous of the year.

July 15th, 2017, 4:21 pm #1

I am excited saw my first Rufous of the year a few days later than normal. It is also a bit bitter sweet as well as this signals the start of migration for our hummers, but they are generally around till September/October. On a positive note my flowers will be getting more use now. He was feeding on my Agastache rupestris and Red Birds in a Tree.
Central Utah
Zone 6b

July 17th, 2017, 4:32 am #2

Yea!!
Cathy P
Downers Grove, IL
Zone 5
Bazuhi@sbcglobal.net
Visit Me At:
https://www.facebook.com/Cathy-Ps-Hummingbird-Gardens-885457968170727/

July 17th, 2017, 7:07 am #3

I am excited saw my first Rufous of the year a few days later than normal. It is also a bit bitter sweet as well as this signals the start of migration for our hummers, but they are generally around till September/October. On a positive note my flowers will be getting more use now. He was feeding on my Agastache rupestris and Red Birds in a Tree.
Such wonderful news Dylan. They are such fun little birds and I love their attitude!! Enjoy!!!
Madison, WI
Zone 5a

July 18th, 2017, 5:45 pm #4

Cool....Lets see some pics.
Northlake, IL

July 20th, 2017, 4:40 pm #5

I totally understand how excited you are! It's crazy that they are already heading back, though! I am so glad that some take the Utah/Colorado route. Do you get migrating Calliopes, too?

July 20th, 2017, 10:26 pm #6

Congrats, Dylan! Sis across the street had a rare sighting a year or so ago but never made it to my yard, unfortunately. I know they are showing up a little more in some north & eastern states.

My Red Birds in a Tree finally bit the dust last year after having it for about 8-9 years. Was another plant listed as Zone 6 that survived in my Zone 5. One of my local Garden Center owners was surprised it over-wintered here. It was in too much shade & always grew bent over but still flowered. I will need to replace it next year.

Joni
Elwood, IL
Zone 5b