First Hummingbird

First Hummingbird

May 3rd, 2013, 11:17 pm #1

The hummingbirds are on the move. I just saw my first male of the season on the feeder. Unfortunately he didn't stay long because as he just started to drink, a truck went by and scared him off. I'm glad I at least got a little glimpse of him.

Gary
Napoleon, OH
Zone 6a
Last edited by Naturelover68 on May 3rd, 2013, 11:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

May 3rd, 2013, 11:21 pm #2

If he flew off toward the east maybe he is headed my way (I wish LOL). Hopefully he will return and stick around for you.

Penny
NY
USDA hardiness zone 6a
Heat zone 4
Sunset zone 39
Penny
Zone 6a
Western NY state

May 3rd, 2013, 11:22 pm #3

The hummingbirds are on the move. I just saw my first male of the season on the feeder. Unfortunately he didn't stay long because as he just started to drink, a truck went by and scared him off. I'm glad I at least got a little glimpse of him.

Gary
Napoleon, OH
Zone 6a
Thanks Penny. Actually he headed south so maybe he decided to go back to the tropics. ha

Gary
Napoleon, OH
Zone 6a

May 3rd, 2013, 11:24 pm #4

Gary
Napoleon, OH
Zone 6a
LOL! the way this spring has been I wouldn't be surprised if he did head back south Gary!

Penny
NY
USDA hardiness zone 6a
Heat zone 4
Sunset zone 39
Penny
Zone 6a
Western NY state

May 3rd, 2013, 11:27 pm #5

Gary
Napoleon, OH
Zone 6a

It seems to me when they first come back they are a little easier to scare away.
When they finally get adjusted they don't seem to mind things like a truck going by. Mine
usually don't mind being around when I am out working in the yard, can't wait until they
get adjusted an let us watch them.

Happy to know you had a sighting.
I am sure you can look forward to more.

Jodi
Zone 6
South Central Ohio

May 3rd, 2013, 11:31 pm #6

Gary
Napoleon, OH
Zone 6a
I wouldn't blame him for going south, either. If I had the snow they had in Minnesota this week, I'd probably be packing my bags for the southern US.

Yes, I've noticed they seem to be frightened easily when they first arrive. Hopefully he flew around to the back of my house and fed from my feeder in the back yard.

Gary
Napoleon, OH
Zone 6a

May 3rd, 2013, 11:38 pm #7

Gary
Napoleon, OH
Zone 6a
Yep they are always skiddish when they first arrive but who can blame them. No telling what all they encounter from the time they leave Central America to reach their summer home. I think I would be pretty skiddish too.

Penny
NY
USDA hardiness zone 6a
Heat zone 4
Sunset zone 39
Penny
Zone 6a
Western NY state

May 4th, 2013, 12:01 am #8

Gary
Napoleon, OH
Zone 6a
Gary

On your first hummer, those early hummers always seem so skittish at first.

Steve
Martinsville, In
Heat zone 6
Sunset zone 35

May 4th, 2013, 4:16 am #9

Gary
Napoleon, OH
Zone 6a
Gary

He's still there.

Vicki

Middlefield OH

there were many years when I was in NJ that I saw a glimpse of a male at this time of year

and not another glimpse (although i'd hear them occasionally)

until the fledgings appeared raiding the feeders and having a no fear attitude... in early/late july .. that was always my favorite time especially when it was a drizzly day .. like they get in pacific northwest from sept - june

May 4th, 2013, 6:21 am #10

Gary
Napoleon, OH
Zone 6a
Gary - Congrats!!!!

~Becky~

<span style="width:164px;text-align:center;font-family:sans-serif;font-size:12px;">
Click for weather forecast</span>

Confirmation of reply: