First freeze

November 10th, 2016, 3:04 pm #1

It's pretty amazing we've made it to mid November without a freeze. The garden season should finally end Saturday morning when we are expected to fall to about 30 degrees. That should take care of the guaraniticas and zap most of the other blooms. I'm ready to cut down the cannas and several of the salvias while it's still mild.

Edit: I forgot to mention that my average low temp is now 30 and falling fast.
Dan
East-central Iowa
Zone 5a

November 10th, 2016, 3:13 pm #2

Dan, this is all backwards, the first freeze at home was several weeks ago and there has been at least one more. It wasn't hard enough to freeze back everything and here and there skipped a tender plant or two. The tallest stuff seemed to be above the freeze and has continued - Van Remsen and Leonotis nepetifolia are two of those. Around here it is often just one bad hour and then weeks or occasional more than a month goes by without another occurrence. The park garden has only had a very light frost or two, the kind that only whitens the ground. The tall coccinea that Kate sneaked in few years ago is putting on a wonderful late show. The reds of the 7 foot plants really stand out in the browning landscape. In wetter years the microphylla would be blooming well but the few flowers being put out are appreciated.

Time for fall clean-up and dig up.
Southern New Jersey

November 10th, 2016, 3:26 pm #3

It's pretty amazing we've made it to mid November without a freeze. The garden season should finally end Saturday morning when we are expected to fall to about 30 degrees. That should take care of the guaraniticas and zap most of the other blooms. I'm ready to cut down the cannas and several of the salvias while it's still mild.

About the same is in store here as Dan proclaimed. This morning it was close at 34 but sat and sun morning are the times it is expected to hit 30 according to local weather reports. Yes we have been lucky in the midwest to have such nice weather and we have enjoyed it, now we can seriously be ready for the cut-down and cleanup. Im noticing there are still bees here getting maybe their last couple of days of use as it will soon be over for them too.
Steve W.
Martinsville IN.
Zone 6

November 10th, 2016, 7:02 pm #4

Looks like Friday and Saturday out my way we may be
getting our first frost of the season. I usually luck out
due to the canopy of trees keeps things pretty frost free,
I'll be curious to see what happens.
I have been doing my fall clean up on stuff that is no longer
blooming, getting my leaves bagged up for my B&B's and all my stuff
has already been brought in.
Cathy P
Downers Grove, IL
Zone 5
Bazuhi@sbcglobal.net
Visit Me At:
https://www.facebook.com/Cathy-Ps-Hummingbird-Gardens-885457968170727/

November 12th, 2016, 5:49 pm #5

The frost pretty much turned everything that was in bloom to toast this morning.
Steve W.
Martinsville IN.
Zone 6

November 13th, 2016, 1:51 am #6

We got down to 30 or 31 this morning, enough to take out the more tender plants and most blooms. A brief shot of colder air next weekend should finish the job, although there is still no sustained cold in sight.

Minneapolis hasn't had a single freeze yet, which is pretty ridiculous.
Dan
East-central Iowa
Zone 5a

November 13th, 2016, 3:59 am #7

After over a week of preparation, starting with cleaning my greenhouses, I worked from 1:30 PM to 7:30 PM, two hours after sunset, getting all of my frost-tender (and ready to bloom sages) into them. I did not get all of them cleaned up as usual, but am ahead of where I usually am. Tomorrow I hope to shoot a video walk through of the collection, then get back to cleaning and trimming. We should get down to 29 degrees.

November 16th, 2016, 6:18 pm #8

Last week we had our first light freeze, but this weekend we will see multiple hard freezes. That means getting the cannas and geraniums into basement storage for the winter and getting most of the rest of the garden cut down while it's still mild/warm outside. Thursday will certainly be our final 70 degree day until next spring.

The seasons's first snowstorm will be hitting areas well to my northwest on Friday. A lot of weather experts and enthusiasts continue to think there will be a major flip to cold for the eastern US in December.
Dan
East-central Iowa
Zone 5a

November 16th, 2016, 7:17 pm #9

There still hasn't been a freeze at the park gardens, the tall coccinea in particular looks great.

It looks like we'll be seeing below freezing by Sunday or Monday. Since the leaves are still mostly on the trees bags of leaves aren't available to cover the zone 8 stuff. Since we won't be having a freeze that will be getting into the ground plants like David Verity, Amistad, and the Cannas should be just fine. In fact I wonder if it is better to wait a bit longer to cover to make sure the plants are dormant.
Southern New Jersey

November 16th, 2016, 8:02 pm #10

We have only just brushed a first freeze. Only the very tender tropical plants are toasted. Many salvias continue on until Saturday anyhow, when the ball drops (temperatures will drop into the 30's during the day and the 20's at night---our coldest weather of the season)!! We will be bringing everything in by end of day Friday.

Madison, WI
Zone 5a

November 16th, 2016, 8:37 pm #11

So don't you feel sorry for all those from the deep south and far west coast? As soon as everything gets cleaned up we get break time. No more weeding, no more watering, no more getting dive bombed by little SOBs. Hummers aside there really is something to be said for a profound change in seasons. By spring we'll be gung ho again with new plants to plant and a brand new attitude. It will be another chance to get it right, whatever "right" is?
Southern New Jersey

November 16th, 2016, 11:17 pm #12

You are correct Ward, I was out clipping, pruning and otherwise occupied with controlling the "jungle" that continues to emerge in our environment, this afternoon. In another month the oaks will start dropping their leaves and that's another annual chore.
But at least we have a small cheering group of hummers to chuckle about our activity in the yard.

Joe M.
Lakeland, FL

November 17th, 2016, 6:34 am #13

Ward,

I totally agree with that. As much as I love hummingbirds and gardening, Michael and I are ready for a break. It has been a difficult season for us in many ways and it's been challenging to care for all of these plants in the ground and in pots for the past month without the daily motivation of hummingbirds visiting them. I agree, winter is a great time to start dreaming about next year's garden without the daily grind of watering, etc. intruding.

Enjoy your break Ward, and Joe, try not to work too hard in the garden!!

Madison, WI
Zone 5a

November 17th, 2016, 5:19 pm #14

Once that first hard freeze hits its time for cleanup which is exactly whats been happening here. Its nice to have a place for all the cleanup debris , into my two compost piles. Lately Ive tried my luck at hot composting and seem to do ok with it keeping my piles in the 140-150F range which should kill all weed seed and pathogens.
Steve W.
Martinsville IN.
Zone 6

November 18th, 2016, 3:28 pm #15

You will be ahead of me Steve. Clean-up in the home garden goes in stages that last into March. There is quite a bit of seed out there and cover for the winter birds. For the white-throats and juncos etc the garden is their 2nd favorite feeding place, the first is where any crabgrass grew.
Southern New Jersey

Confirmation of reply: