Finally a Brief Sighting Sat. 5/13/17

Finally a Brief Sighting Sat. 5/13/17

May 16th, 2017, 9:32 pm #1

Briefly saw my first of the year (female) hovering near my orange/jelly Oriole feeders then took off out of sight. This was late Sat. & as much as I wanted to get on here, have been working in yard all day since last Fri. trying to keep my Canada Thistle from taking over & getting as many weeds pulled while I still had a little moisture left in the ground & since they were calling for high 80's for a few days. I was inside so couldn't see where she flew. She showed up again Sun. morning near the feeder & my large pot of Salvia 'Amistad' but never drank from either. Seemed very flitty & cautious.

Joni
Elwood, IL
Zone 5
Last edited by Yodlei44 on May 16th, 2017, 9:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

May 16th, 2017, 9:36 pm #2

Good news! She might be a little jumpy if there are other HB's around. Hopefully that's the case.
Pete
Green Bay, WI

May 16th, 2017, 9:38 pm #3

Briefly saw my first of the year (female) hovering near my orange/jelly Oriole feeders then took off out of sight. This was late Sat. & as much as I wanted to get on here, have been working in yard all day since last Fri. trying to keep my Canada Thistle from taking over & getting as many weeds pulled while I still had a little moisture left in the ground & since they were calling for high 80's for a few days. I was inside so couldn't see where she flew. She showed up again Sun. morning near the feeder & my large pot of Salvia 'Amistad' but never drank from either. Seemed very flitty & cautious.

Joni
Elwood, IL
Zone 5
Congrats Joni, hopefully you'll see more this week
Tom M
St. Pete, FL

May 16th, 2017, 10:34 pm #4

Joni
Elwood, IL
Zone 5
Congratulations Jodi. Hopefully, this first brief sighting will be followed by many more. It looks like you will have a phenomenal garden this year, so I'm sure you will be visited by many hummingbirds. Enjoy!!

May 16th, 2017, 11:17 pm #5

Joni
Elwood, IL
Zone 5
Congratulations on your first sighting! They will start coming more frequently now! Soon you'll be sitting out in your garden watching them darting around, vying for the best flowers. Just sit back and enjoy!

Fran
Lakeview, OR
Zone 4/5

May 16th, 2017, 11:18 pm #6

Joni
Elwood, IL
Zone 5
Congrats on the hummer. It's nice to see everyone getting action now.
Dan
East-central Iowa
Zone 5a

May 17th, 2017, 1:14 am #7

Joni
Elwood, IL
Zone 5
Joni,

Now all those plants you purchased are going to be put to lots of use I bet! Enjoy all your hummingbird visits.

Marilyn

May 17th, 2017, 9:43 am #8

Joni
Elwood, IL
Zone 5
Congrats Joni!
They always seem to be a bit jumpy when they first arrive until they get settled in. That is why I think both the male and female I saw here have been here for a while because they are very relaxed with me or the dog being outside. I also think the female is already on a nest because I hardly see her but the male comes to the feeder off and on throughout the day.
Penny
Zone 6a
Western NY state

May 17th, 2017, 1:46 pm #9

Joni
Elwood, IL
Zone 5
Awesome...
Northlake, IL

May 18th, 2017, 9:57 am #10

Joni
Elwood, IL
Zone 5
So excited for you!!! I think I have a couple, 1 is very shy, 1 doesn't care if I am close..haven't seen a female yet, but fingers crossed she will come back...

Confirmation of reply: