Favorite Hoes...

July 17th, 2017, 4:37 am #16

or other weeding tools??

Years ago I used to pull weeds in my established beds by hand. Took a long time, and the weeds grew back really fast. Actually, when I did it by hand I probably left half the plant in the ground ready to pop right back up. Also, I definitely left the tiny new weeds intact as I went through the beds.

Then I bought a soil knife and I scraped it along the surface. Much better. Faster, easier on the hands, more thorough, etc.

A couple of years ago I got a stirrup hoe. Really fast on tough weeds. Works on push and pull, cuts just below the surface without disturbing the soil much. This is an amazing tool and if I was to get only one hoe this is the one I would get!

This year I picked up a collinear hoe. This would be my second hoe to buy after the stirrup. It works great on beds that are already weeded and have small easy weeds to clear out. Just like cleaning a feeder often is easier in the long run, running this tool on soil that looks basically weed free a few times a week is easy and quick. My beds look amazing! With the collinear hoe you stand taller and use it more like a rake. It gets under plant better than the stirrup. I can link to a video of someone using this tool the proper way if anyone is interested.

Again, if i was to have only one, the stirrup is the way to go, much better on tougher weeds and is easy to control. The collinear on established weeds would be pretty tough!

Only use my hands now on weeds that are mixed in the base of plants. Also I hardly use the soil knife anymore.

What are some of your favorite weeding tools?

Ken
I had looked at this thread before and was going to check out the stirrup hoe to see if they sell it in my area but got sidetracked, perhaps I will check it out now.
Steve W.
Martinsville IN.
Zone 6

July 17th, 2017, 11:44 am #17

or other weeding tools??

Years ago I used to pull weeds in my established beds by hand. Took a long time, and the weeds grew back really fast. Actually, when I did it by hand I probably left half the plant in the ground ready to pop right back up. Also, I definitely left the tiny new weeds intact as I went through the beds.

Then I bought a soil knife and I scraped it along the surface. Much better. Faster, easier on the hands, more thorough, etc.

A couple of years ago I got a stirrup hoe. Really fast on tough weeds. Works on push and pull, cuts just below the surface without disturbing the soil much. This is an amazing tool and if I was to get only one hoe this is the one I would get!

This year I picked up a collinear hoe. This would be my second hoe to buy after the stirrup. It works great on beds that are already weeded and have small easy weeds to clear out. Just like cleaning a feeder often is easier in the long run, running this tool on soil that looks basically weed free a few times a week is easy and quick. My beds look amazing! With the collinear hoe you stand taller and use it more like a rake. It gets under plant better than the stirrup. I can link to a video of someone using this tool the proper way if anyone is interested.

Again, if i was to have only one, the stirrup is the way to go, much better on tougher weeds and is easy to control. The collinear on established weeds would be pretty tough!

Only use my hands now on weeds that are mixed in the base of plants. Also I hardly use the soil knife anymore.

Ken
On Saturday the stirrup hoe zipped through 700 feet of park garden in just 6 hours, unfortunately it asked me to come along.
Southern New Jersey

July 17th, 2017, 11:23 pm #18

or other weeding tools??

Ken
Not available in my town at least not a long handled one, so I ordered one thru wally world, should receive in a week or so.
Steve W.
Martinsville IN.
Zone 6

July 24th, 2017, 3:05 pm #19

or other weeding tools??

Ken
I received my "action hoe" a couple of days ago but decided to give it a little test run this morning. I do have some mulch down in my gardens but presently its not thick enough to prevent weeds from coming up. So here I went with my hoe , pretty nice job can get up close to plants without having to get down on my knees. But I really liked how I can go along the edging surrounding my garden where weeds always find their way and previously was down on my knees with a trowel. Like was mentioned above will have to pull out weeds inter mixed with plants, but overall saves a lot of bending over and strain on the back and knees.
Steve W.
Martinsville IN.
Zone 6

July 24th, 2017, 3:23 pm #20

or other weeding tools??

Ken
Glad that you like the action hoe so far. I am sure you will come to wonder how you got by without it!

Don't go too deep with it as the weeds will have bigger rootballs, though if you hoe on a hot sunny day even those will not reroot.

Ken
Central NJ
usda zone 6b

July 25th, 2017, 6:07 pm #21

or other weeding tools??

Ken
I cleared out my main garden today which is about 12x25' section with plants close together. I removed most of the debris and shall now wait to see what I missed or what comes back. Does what it is meant for if you dont mind the work.
Steve W.
Martinsville IN.
Zone 6

July 25th, 2017, 6:24 pm #22

or other weeding tools??

Ken
LOL, Ward. THE NERVE of some peoples tools!
I don't think I could live without my Stirrup (action, scuffle, box, loop, hula) hoe.
I like to sharpen mine every spring...gotta watch them toes!
Mark
S.C. PA "The Shire"
Zone 6b/7a

July 25th, 2017, 7:39 pm #23

or other weeding tools??

Ken
Was it more work using the hoe, or picking up the weeds?

Best time to hoe is before the weeds get big. Actually the best time to hoe is just before you see the weeds. Either way, you can leave the weeds right where they fall if you do it before they get big. If you do the above not only will it be easier, but it will be much quicker than it took today.

Ken
Central NJ
usda zone 6b

July 25th, 2017, 8:14 pm #24

or other weeding tools??

Ken
What you say about getting after weeds while they are still young is sure true.
Here is something else that seems to be true. It gets harder to stay motivated as the season progresses into August and September. Maybe it is the heat maybe it is a lack of good character or poor parenting, but whatever it is it is hard to overcome. Just thinking about it makes me want to sit down.
Southern New Jersey

July 25th, 2017, 8:46 pm #25

or other weeding tools??

Ken
For sure todays work was the tough one having not cleared out the weeds before. Anything I do from now on this season will just be fine tuning. All the scrap went around to my compost pile. Seems I have continuous compost pile going. The garden leavings gets recycled over and over again once the season is over.
Steve W.
Martinsville IN.
Zone 6

July 31st, 2017, 6:05 pm #26

or other weeding tools??

Ken
Previously I had always just cut the weeds close to the ground with weed whacker, now that I have went thru my garden with my stirrup hoe the big job done I can look back on it and see the plants are still clear . If I see an occasional blade of weed/grass I just bring out the stirrup again and knock it out no problem. IM sure my plants are thanking me for it. It was well worth the effort.
Steve W.
Martinsville IN.
Zone 6

August 9th, 2017, 4:22 pm #27

or other weeding tools??

Ken
Here to re-affirm my feelings on the stirrup hoe, excellent tool for my flower garden, once you get the weeds down they stay down for the most part. Being able to get between and close to plants without harming the plants is another plus. I ordered mine thru walmart , used store pickup saved shipping. Total with taxes $16.76 May be the best money Ive spent garden wise in a long time, possibly ever.
Steve W.
Martinsville IN.
Zone 6

August 10th, 2017, 1:33 am #28

or other weeding tools??

Ken
Hi Steve,

Glad that you like the stirrup hoe so much! I am always hesitant to recommend anything that parts someone from their money.

My gardens never looked so good!

Just be aware that you will have to hoe more often at the beginning of next season than you are now. Once a week with a quick run through is all I need this time of year to keep the beds at bare dirt!

Spring time and earlier summer it does need more attention. Keeping ahead of new growth is better than letting them get big.

Ken
Central NJ
usda zone 6b

August 10th, 2017, 2:03 am #29

or other weeding tools??

Ken
I located mine & brought it back out from retirement a few weeks back. If not covered & mulched, my weeds are back in a couple of weeks. I'm again losing my battle & am very frustrated although it does help on tiny weeds. Hate to admit it but an acre might end up being too much to take care of. Might have to end up with more grass & make my beds smaller. Thought I would be further along than this now that I finally found something to finally get rid of my Canada thistle. I like to weed but this 8 hours a day is getting old. If it poured every 3-4 days, it would help. 1-2" sounds like a lot but then 4-5 days later, ground still has cracks & hard as cement.

Joni
Elwood, IL
Zone 5b

August 10th, 2017, 3:20 pm #30

or other weeding tools??

Ken
I wanted mine for my main flower garden and it was worth the effort and price for that . The first time was rough but since then its easy to just knock out a new weed or two. Like ken said I will need to get on it early next spring. Last winter I didnt cover the garden this year I plan to which helps keep the weed down early on.
Steve W.
Martinsville IN.
Zone 6