Favorite hand pruners

Favorite hand pruners

July 12th, 2018, 4:52 pm #1

Over the years I have bought several different hand pruners.   This spring I found the best one yet for my small hands (stretched out from my palm to the end of my middle finger measures 6.5 inches) that does an excellent job.   I was being too cheap over the years and didn't want to spend $50 or so on a hand pruner.   I decided it was time to treat myself and tried a Felco #6 hand pruner.  I won't go back to using another hand pruner for trimming plants, etc.    I have several holsters that work with a belt or clip on to pants and didn't need to buy one of them.  I usually have a soil knife and pruner in a double holster or use a single holster for either a soil knife or pruner when in the garden.   If you get tired of working with a hand pruner that makes it harder than necessary and have small hands, the Felco #6 pruner is a worthwhile tool to purchase.   Of course Felco makes regular sized hand pruners that are sure to be good too.  Guys, if your special lady is a gardener, has small hands, and does not have a Felco #6 pruner, you could make her very happy with this gift and maybe get one for yourself.  Ladies, if you are tired of using a pruner that is mediocre or less, and want one that does an excellent job, try a Felco.  It's one that will last for a long time.   I'm sure there are lots of other hand pruners that are good, but I'm hooked on the Felco #6 (Swiss made).  I do not have stock in Felco :>))  Just am very pleased with my hand pruner and thought someone might benefit.
Carol Trego
New Cumberland, Pennsylvania, USA
Zone 6b

July 12th, 2018, 5:49 pm #2

Carol, I agree with you.  A good pair of hand pruners makes such a difference.  I also have a pair of Felco's and notice that they seem to be the pruner of choice at locally owned garden centers.  

Another pruner I've added to my stash is a mini pruner; Fiskars calls theirs pruning snips.  They're small (about 6" overall) and SHARP.   I prefer them when deadheading and pruning soft stemmed plants.  Their small size makes it easier to get in among the branches to snip here and there.  Because of their small size, it's also easy to inadvertently send them out with the recycled yard waste (which is why I'm on my second pair).  Luckily, they're relatively inexpensive.  There are several brands; they're easy to find online or at well known local stores.

snips.jpg

July 12th, 2018, 9:00 pm #3

They make great tools. It is a good idea to clean and sharpen the blade on a regular basis.

Regards,
Bob
Lexington, Ky.

July 13th, 2018, 9:29 am #4

Juneroses, I ordered the 3 Felco pruning snips, one for myself and the other 2 for gifts.   

Bob, thanks for the video of how to sharpen the Felco pruner.   It was very helpful and looks easy to do.  I know there are replacement parts that can be ordered too for the hand pruner if needed.    My partner cleans the pruners for me with WD40 and uses steel wool to remove the gunk and sticky stuff.   There is a video for almost every thing out there on YouTube.
Carol Trego
Zone 6b

July 13th, 2018, 11:49 am #5

Yes, the Felcos are excellent. I have two and use one or the other almost every day now deadheading my tithonias. Bob, thanks for the sharpening video. I purchased a different sharpener, but I benefited from the instructions on the video.
Central Florida 9B

July 13th, 2018, 12:07 pm #6

Is it just Me? But one of the laws of nature is that good pruners always vanish while the bad ones stick around for decades?
Southern New Jersey

July 13th, 2018, 12:15 pm #7

It's just you, Ward.

Just kidding. The bright red handles on the Felcos make them easier to spot after we leave them somewhere in the garden. The reason that I have two is that I thought I lost one, because I couldn't find it for several weeks. I think I spied it as I was mowing the lawn. 
Central Florida 9B

July 13th, 2018, 2:03 pm #8

The same thing goes with my soil knife from A.M. Leonard.   I have several of them because if working in the front yard and need it there is one in the garage which means I don't have to go up the hill or climb the basement steps to get the one on back porch.   I'm currently nursing a sore tailbone from a fall and landing hard on it.   Climbing hills aggravates it.   My soil knife is my favorite digging tool made in Italy and very strong.   The handle is bright orange.   I wouldn't be without one.  There are lots of different types on the market. 

https://www.amleo.com/Search.aspx?ss=soil+knife
Carol Trego
Zone 6b

July 13th, 2018, 3:53 pm #9

My tool of choice is the corona classic cut.  Over the years I had went the cheap route and that was exactly what I had a tool either wouldnt hold up or wouldnt do the job I needed it to do. So then I found the corona classic cut , it is 9" long with a strong spring and I have been using it for years. I keep it sharp and lightly oiled. In the photo you can see the years of use. I actually have a holster for it but I never use it.- I highly recommend this model for durability. IMG_4105 (800x533).jpg
Steve W.
Martinsville IN.
Zone 6

July 14th, 2018, 2:24 pm #10

The Felco pruner is a quality product, that can not be denied, but my favorite is the Banco PX-M2. I have both. The Banco just feels better in my hand and cuts with ease. I do a lot of pruning with my muscadine vines each spring and the Banco is the one I usually use. Both are quality products, but the Banco is just my personal favorite.
Larry
Southaven, MS
Zone7B

July 15th, 2018, 2:46 am #11

Comparing the Felco F-8 classic pruner with the Banco PX M2 my impression is that the Felco is a bit heavier and perhaps more sturdy. The Felco claims to be able to cut a one-inch branch, the Banco claims 3/4 in. The Felco's handles are a metal alloy, whereas the Banco's are plastic with fiberglass reinforcement. 

Interesting that both the Banco and Felco come in right and left hand models. As you said, Larry, they both look like quality products. I believe the Felcos come in different sizes from 6 through 9? Not sure about the Bancos. 
Central Florida 9B