Eureka!!!

Eureka!!!

June 12th, 2012, 3:31 am #1

I did a lot of yard work today...the ol' body is tired & aching. A little before 8PM I dumped the last of the weeds, prunings, etc, put the lawnmower & weedeater away & gathered up my hand tools. Then I stood for a few minutes looking over all that's in bloom - mostly the Salvia 'Hot Lips' and 'San Luis' as well as several Phygelius. Today I finally saw a little hummer activity at the flowers vs. the feeder & was feeling good about that.

Suddenly, I could barely believe my eyes...there was an adult male Rufous partaking of the flowers about 8' from me! I've been fully resigned to just enjoying the juvie Rufous that's been around for 4-5 days. Seeing the adult male REALLY made my day...suddenly the aches & pains meant nothing.

After a day of beautiful blue skies, sunshine & 74 degrees (F), the sky is now overcast & it's very calm...we have rain coming in by tomorrow morning. I took flower pics earlier, but by the time Mr. Rufous showed up, it was too dim to try for a pic of him. If we get any breaks in the rain tomorrow, maybe I'll go out with my camera.

Happy Dance!

Patrick
USDA Zone 8b
Heat Zone 3
Sunset Zone 5
SeaTac, WA...one cool place

June 12th, 2012, 3:38 am #2

Patrick

I can associate with everything you said, but you are one lucky dog, rufous and rain too. How lucky can you be. I have neither and my chances of getting either are astronomical. Enjoy your evening.

Steve
Martinsville, In
Heat zone 6
Sunset zone 35

June 12th, 2012, 5:03 am #3

I did a lot of yard work today...the ol' body is tired & aching. A little before 8PM I dumped the last of the weeds, prunings, etc, put the lawnmower & weedeater away & gathered up my hand tools. Then I stood for a few minutes looking over all that's in bloom - mostly the Salvia 'Hot Lips' and 'San Luis' as well as several Phygelius. Today I finally saw a little hummer activity at the flowers vs. the feeder & was feeling good about that.

Suddenly, I could barely believe my eyes...there was an adult male Rufous partaking of the flowers about 8' from me! I've been fully resigned to just enjoying the juvie Rufous that's been around for 4-5 days. Seeing the adult male REALLY made my day...suddenly the aches & pains meant nothing.

After a day of beautiful blue skies, sunshine & 74 degrees (F), the sky is now overcast & it's very calm...we have rain coming in by tomorrow morning. I took flower pics earlier, but by the time Mr. Rufous showed up, it was too dim to try for a pic of him. If we get any breaks in the rain tomorrow, maybe I'll go out with my camera.

Happy Dance!

Patrick
USDA Zone 8b
Heat Zone 3
Sunset Zone 5
Steve, I'll try to persuade the rain to move over your way...we've had way too much. We've already exceeded our average June rainfall and we're barely 1/3 of the way thru the month. The weeds & wild grasses are growing like gangbusters. But barring working in rain gear and packing down muddy soil, I can't get caught up on yard work.

Patrick
USDA Zone 8b
Heat Zone 3
Sunset Zone 5

June 12th, 2012, 10:36 am #4

Happy Dance!

Patrick
USDA Zone 8b
Heat Zone 3
Sunset Zone 5
Patrick
I know that sighting really did wash a way all the pain even for a few minutes of the garden toil. Rain has been at a premium here this year but we did get some overnight thankfully since I just put a few more plants in the ground and even though they were well watered, the rain water seems to get them settled in and start growing so much sooner.

Penny
NY
USDA hardiness zone 6a
Heat zone 4
Sunset zone 39
Penny
Zone 6a
Western NY state

June 12th, 2012, 11:22 am #5

Happy Dance!

Patrick
USDA Zone 8b
Heat Zone 3
Sunset Zone 5
Isn't is amazing how these little guys make us feel, even when our aches and pains take over.
We could use your rain here too, we had a little yesterday but not enough to do much good, not expecting any for a while. My hummers tend to be a little more plentiful when it has rained. Enjoy your hummers!!!

Jodi
South Central Ohio

June 13th, 2012, 2:56 am #6

Happy Dance!

Patrick
USDA Zone 8b
Heat Zone 3
Sunset Zone 5
Happy for you Patrick!

Paula
nw PA
zone 5b/6a
heat zone 4

<span style="width:170px;text-align:center;font-family:sans-serif;font-size:12px;">
Click for weather forecast</span>

June 13th, 2012, 3:13 am #7

Happy Dance!

Patrick
USDA Zone 8b
Heat Zone 3
Sunset Zone 5
Congrats on your perfect day, Patrick! Glad it ended with a sighting of a Rufous!

June 15th, 2012, 1:48 am #8

Happy Dance!

Patrick
USDA Zone 8b
Heat Zone 3
Sunset Zone 5
There is a town call eureka,ill what do you mean by eureka?????????????

eldon voorhees peoria,ill area

June 15th, 2012, 6:22 am #9

Happy Dance!

Patrick
USDA Zone 8b
Heat Zone 3
Sunset Zone 5
Eldon, "eureka!" is a very old exclamation. The following explanation came from the online dictionary, Wiktionary:

eureka = An exclamation indicating sudden discovery.

Patrick
USDA Zone 8b
Heat Zone 3
Sunset Zone 5

June 15th, 2012, 10:31 am #10

Happy Dance!

Patrick
USDA Zone 8b
Heat Zone 3
Sunset Zone 5
Eldon
Sometimes people will say 'Eureka' when they have found something that has been misplaced. As Patrick said when they have made a discovery. Sort of Like saying HOORAY!

Penny
NY
USDA hardiness zone 6a
Heat zone 4
Sunset zone 39
Penny
Zone 6a
Western NY state

Confirmation of reply: