End of the Season?

October 13th, 2010, 8:00 pm #1

Well, I know it's been getting frosty in parts of N. America. I know Ruth Ann was planning on a cut-em-back work party last weekend, getting her brugs ready for winter storage. Has anyone else done the same? I'm thinking about it, but hopefully I'll have a few more weeks before temps dip to freezing - we're starting to get forecasts of low 40's overnight, but I don't think we've been below about 45 or 46....mostly upper 40's.

Today is beautifully sunny. I have some Round-Up spraying to do, then I'll work with my Cupheas. This is the first year I've grown them (hummers really love them) and I understand they dump their leaves when the temps get into the low 40's. I'll rescue at least part of them to hold over Winter & take cuttings next spring. Oh heck, I'll probably save some cuttings when I cut the big plants back before bringing them indoors. I'll put the largest in the garage and a couple of smaller ones and/or cuttings in the house.

Patrick
USDA Zone 8b
Heat Zone 3
Sunset Zone 5
SeaTac, WA...one cool place

October 13th, 2010, 9:51 pm #2

Yes, I had my open house last w/e Patrick. The weather was perfect at 70 and sunny, the chatting, trading of cuttings and finding homes for all my mature plants but one, then the guests helping dig the smaller plants I was keeping to bring it, all made for a perfect day. Today I woke up to frost so my timing couldn't have been better.

Canada 5b
Forum editing tech

October 14th, 2010, 12:26 am #3

Well, I know it's been getting frosty in parts of N. America. I know Ruth Ann was planning on a cut-em-back work party last weekend, getting her brugs ready for winter storage. Has anyone else done the same? I'm thinking about it, but hopefully I'll have a few more weeks before temps dip to freezing - we're starting to get forecasts of low 40's overnight, but I don't think we've been below about 45 or 46....mostly upper 40's.

Today is beautifully sunny. I have some Round-Up spraying to do, then I'll work with my Cupheas. This is the first year I've grown them (hummers really love them) and I understand they dump their leaves when the temps get into the low 40's. I'll rescue at least part of them to hold over Winter & take cuttings next spring. Oh heck, I'll probably save some cuttings when I cut the big plants back before bringing them indoors. I'll put the largest in the garage and a couple of smaller ones and/or cuttings in the house.

Patrick
USDA Zone 8b
Heat Zone 3
Sunset Zone 5
Most excellent, RA...good sense of timing!

Patrick
USDA Zone 8b
Heat Zone 3
Sunset Zone 5

October 14th, 2010, 2:48 pm #4

Patrick
USDA Zone 8b
Heat Zone 3
Sunset Zone 5
I have had near picture perfect weather for several weeks now, but I am certain MN has something up her sleeve as we are due to go to the 70/50 for a few days next week. I usually have my brug cutting near the middle of November, and I really hope "she" allows me the option of waiting until then this year. It has been such a bad brug year for me that I will be almost glad to regroup and start over. However, I am getting some pretty decent flushes now. Some of my older container plants are going to be cut back severely this year.............both for space to store them, and because they need reshaping.

USDA Zone 7/8
Copper Canyon
North Central Texas

Selma McNamara
Selma McNamara

October 14th, 2010, 8:23 pm #5

Patrick
USDA Zone 8b
Heat Zone 3
Sunset Zone 5
Thanks for the topic, Patrick, I was just about to email and see when you were going to bring your brugs in. My Equador Pink has two buds on her, and I really would like to see her bloom before bringing her in.

October 14th, 2010, 11:19 pm #6

Patrick
USDA Zone 8b
Heat Zone 3
Sunset Zone 5
Hi Patrick, I was just going to send you an email about when you were bringing your brugs in for the season. I have two buds on my Ecudor pink, and I would like to see them bloom before going into the basement!

October 17th, 2010, 5:09 pm #7

Patrick
USDA Zone 8b
Heat Zone 3
Sunset Zone 5
Had our kill frost last night. I had moved most of the brugs up to the house but 2 that I plan to cut back and repot got nipped a little. I hope to get seed from Yevvone's Salvia.

Allison
Sunset 5
USDA 8
Heat 2/3
<a href="http://www.wunderground.com/US/WA/Arlin ... motimetemp" rel="nofollow">
</a>

October 17th, 2010, 10:38 pm #8

Patrick
USDA Zone 8b
Heat Zone 3
Sunset Zone 5
Yvonne's Salvia seems to seed prolifically - and the seeds don't fall out the moment they're ripe. If you have calyxes that have turned tan/brown, you should see black seeds inside. Once they're black, they're ready to harvest. Sometimes I hand-pick the ripe seeds and leave the rest a little longer. Other times, when the majority of the seeds are ripe, I'll cut whole flower spikes and lay them on a tray, then take it indoors to get the seeds. I have a colander that has holes big enough for the seeds to drop thru, leaving calyxes behind.

Patrick
USDA Zone 8b
Heat Zone 3
Sunset Zone 5

October 17th, 2010, 11:37 pm #9

Patrick
USDA Zone 8b
Heat Zone 3
Sunset Zone 5
I didn't get any to go that far. All I'm finding are soft white seed.

Allison
Sunset 5
USDA 8
Heat 2/3
<a href="http://www.wunderground.com/US/WA/Arlin ... motimetemp" rel="nofollow">
</a>

October 18th, 2010, 3:36 am #10

Patrick
USDA Zone 8b
Heat Zone 3
Sunset Zone 5
You may have started them too late in the season....but then, it was such a crappy gardening year, they could easily have just sat there doing next to nothing! I didn't plant any this year...had a couple of volunteers that came up late & have been blooming only a short while. If you need seeds for next year, I probably have enough harvested last year that I can share.

Patrick
USDA Zone 8b
Heat Zone 3
Sunset Zone 5

October 19th, 2010, 1:15 pm #11

Patrick
USDA Zone 8b
Heat Zone 3
Sunset Zone 5
At least you guys can grow them, it gets too hot for them here.

USDA Zone 7/8
Copper Canyon
North Central Texas

October 23rd, 2010, 4:03 am #12

Patrick
USDA Zone 8b
Heat Zone 3
Sunset Zone 5
Well, it really is end of season for me. My Ecuador Pink had a bud-bloom slowly opening, and this am it got knocked off. So I now have only two brugs out, that need to get moved into the basement. I just have to trim them to fit, and repot the NOID pink I have. And wait until next year for my next smell of brug!

October 23rd, 2010, 6:38 am #13

Patrick
USDA Zone 8b
Heat Zone 3
Sunset Zone 5
Selma, I'm in a quandry...so many of my brugs are starting to open flushes. I want to leave them out and see them bloom, in many cases for the 1rst time this year. But I have too many to risk having to strip all their leaves and get them into the garage on short notice. I'm beginning to gamble with time. I suppose I will placate myself a little by clearing out the garage in preparation for so serious brug moving. I've already been tidying up behind the garage, to make the rear entry door easy to approach with the plants.

Even tho the temp is cool outside right now, I just came home and was greeted by the fragrance of my tall 'Harlot' which stands near my front door and by my bedroom window. It is loaded with buds and they're opening pretty fast. The color is pale, but it's still impressive to see the clusters of buds/blooms & catch that great fragrance.

Patrick
USDA Zone 8b
Heat Zone 3
Sunset Zone 5

October 23rd, 2010, 4:27 pm #14

Patrick
USDA Zone 8b
Heat Zone 3
Sunset Zone 5
Oh what a quandary you face. I will wish you warmer temps so that you at least get to see one bloom from your 'first timers'.

October 23rd, 2010, 8:55 pm #15

Patrick
USDA Zone 8b
Heat Zone 3
Sunset Zone 5
I have a yellow noid that the frost took all the leaves and now is in full bloom. It looks weird being all twigs with these yellow blosoms hanging there. I have put my Day Dreams under the eave next to the house with a sheet of plasic hung in front of it to get it to finsh blooming.

Allison
Sunset 5
USDA 8
Heat 2/3
</a>

Confirmation of reply: