corabell
corabell

November 6th, 2010, 1:38 pm #31

Well, I know it's been getting frosty in parts of N. America. I know Ruth Ann was planning on a cut-em-back work party last weekend, getting her brugs ready for winter storage. Has anyone else done the same? I'm thinking about it, but hopefully I'll have a few more weeks before temps dip to freezing - we're starting to get forecasts of low 40's overnight, but I don't think we've been below about 45 or 46....mostly upper 40's.

Today is beautifully sunny. I have some Round-Up spraying to do, then I'll work with my Cupheas. This is the first year I've grown them (hummers really love them) and I understand they dump their leaves when the temps get into the low 40's. I'll rescue at least part of them to hold over Winter & take cuttings next spring. Oh heck, I'll probably save some cuttings when I cut the big plants back before bringing them indoors. I'll put the largest in the garage and a couple of smaller ones and/or cuttings in the house.

Patrick
USDA Zone 8b
Heat Zone 3
Sunset Zone 5
SeaTac, WA...one cool place
I don't pollinate but once awhile they make their own seeds.[/IMG]

November 9th, 2010, 12:51 am #32

Well, I know it's been getting frosty in parts of N. America. I know Ruth Ann was planning on a cut-em-back work party last weekend, getting her brugs ready for winter storage. Has anyone else done the same? I'm thinking about it, but hopefully I'll have a few more weeks before temps dip to freezing - we're starting to get forecasts of low 40's overnight, but I don't think we've been below about 45 or 46....mostly upper 40's.

Today is beautifully sunny. I have some Round-Up spraying to do, then I'll work with my Cupheas. This is the first year I've grown them (hummers really love them) and I understand they dump their leaves when the temps get into the low 40's. I'll rescue at least part of them to hold over Winter & take cuttings next spring. Oh heck, I'll probably save some cuttings when I cut the big plants back before bringing them indoors. I'll put the largest in the garage and a couple of smaller ones and/or cuttings in the house.

Patrick
USDA Zone 8b
Heat Zone 3
Sunset Zone 5
Well, it is officially end of season at my house. I finally repotted my huge brug and moved it inside. They are all officially tucked in for the winter.

November 9th, 2010, 2:11 am #33

Patrick
USDA Zone 8b
Heat Zone 3
Sunset Zone 5
I'm coming right along behind you, Selma. The garage is clear & ready to receive the brugs. I've put up a temporary "tarp tent" behind my garage & some of the plants are now there where they'll stay dry and the root balls will have a chance to dry out a bit. I'm in the process of stripping leaves from those plants & cutting back the tall (12-15 feet!) brugs so they'll fit below the 7-8 foot ceiling limit in the garage. There's still a lot of work to do, but I'm seeing progress.

Patrick
USDA Zone 8b
Heat Zone 3
Sunset Zone 5

November 9th, 2010, 1:58 pm #34

Patrick
USDA Zone 8b
Heat Zone 3
Sunset Zone 5
Spoken like a true brug lover, Patrick..............ALWAYS a lot of work to do, but so worth it. I will be cutting my inground ones to the ground this coming Saturday, and shaping the container ones to fit into their space. My greenhouse should be complete by next Sunday, so some of them will have a new home.

USDA Zone 7/8
Copper Canyon
North Central Texas

November 11th, 2010, 2:16 pm #35

Patrick
USDA Zone 8b
Heat Zone 3
Sunset Zone 5
I am glad Patrick and Carrie and some others got to see fruits of their labours, even if it was later in the season.
It seems so foreign to me to not be going down to the GH each day checking for wet soil, too much warmth etc because the Brugs are up here in the basement this year.

Canada 5b
Forum editing tech

November 12th, 2010, 4:07 pm #36

Patrick
USDA Zone 8b
Heat Zone 3
Sunset Zone 5
With threats of 32 degrees last weekend, I moved all of my potted brugs from DFW to east Texas. I then moved those and the ones already there into the sunroom, but decided to risk cutting back the in-ground brugs as there were buds on many.

I have to drive 2 hours or so each way, so I was taking a gamble as I can't quickly get there to move plants around, but I won this roll of the dice. Still no freezes over there, some nice rain, and some buds that I expect to see open this week.

Then I'll strip the potted plants - the sunroom isn't that sunny since my lot is wooded - and maybe look into setting up some lights. I have the thermostat set in there at 50 just to keep everything comfortably above freezing.

Whew! A lot of work! I need to get more beds set up next year!!!

Lin

November 13th, 2010, 3:21 am #37

Patrick
USDA Zone 8b
Heat Zone 3
Sunset Zone 5
If we get past tonight and tomorrow night, Lin, we should have another week, at least, of pretty decent weather. I am waiting for it to get warm enough to move my plants in for the winter.......LOL>

USDA Zone 7/8
Copper Canyon
North Central Texas

November 13th, 2010, 5:05 pm #38

Patrick
USDA Zone 8b
Heat Zone 3
Sunset Zone 5
Lol...Carrie, I do know what you mean, but that sure sounds backasswards! Sorta like putting on your snow tires in July...or sunbathing in January...ha ha.

I don't know what all the distractions have been here, but none of my brugs are inside the garage yet. I think all of them that are under the "tent" are ready to go inside, as soon as I remove more leaves. Then there's a group gathered outside the "tent" that can follow along. I think it's time to DO IT! This is about 1 month later than usual for me.

Patrick
USDA Zone 8b
Heat Zone 3
Sunset Zone 5

November 14th, 2010, 6:11 am #39

Patrick
USDA Zone 8b
Heat Zone 3
Sunset Zone 5
Well Patrick, if I am hearing the weather correctly, I think I heard the "s" word for friday. It figures, our local dog show always has the worst weather, and it is this next weekend! So that gives you about 6 more days (in the rain) to get your brugs in the garage! I just have one to drag into the basement (and it is under cover now).

November 14th, 2010, 6:44 am #40

Patrick
USDA Zone 8b
Heat Zone 3
Sunset Zone 5
Selma, I had a dream a couple of nights ago that I stepped out of my garage to check my brugs under the "tarp tent" and it had snowed & the tent was totally collapsed....I couldn't even see lumps where the the brugs should have been. Maybe that means all the brugs were in the garage but I hadn't taken the temporary tent down?!

I got about 1/3 of the brugs into the garage today & a fair number of others have been moved under the tent. Even with rainy days ahead, I should be able to complete the move before next Friday. And I WILL take the tent down!

S-N-O-W ?! That's a 4-letter word!

Patrick
USDA Zone 8b
Heat Zone 3
Sunset Zone 5

November 14th, 2010, 3:08 pm #41

Patrick
USDA Zone 8b
Heat Zone 3
Sunset Zone 5
Oh, yes, Patrick ......DEFINITELY a four letter word for me. I did, however, get all my inground brugs cut back yesterday, and all of the big container ones in storage. Had about 10 people over to take cuttings home with them. A great day with a group of dedicated gardeners. Now, when my greenhouse is completed today, I can get all my other plants put up this week. MN has been kind enough to extend my good weather at least through next Saturday........thanks MN !!!

USDA Zone 7/8
Copper Canyon
North Central Texas

November 17th, 2010, 2:23 am #42

Patrick
USDA Zone 8b
Heat Zone 3
Sunset Zone 5
My season has stretched out for an additional month, but we're expecting near-freezing temps by Sunday. Over the past few days, I've moved most of my brugs into the garage. We had quite a big wind storm yesterday...ripped my temporary "tarp tent" loose last night, but by then I had most of the brugs moved on into the garage. I moved the few that were left next to the house wall or laid them over on the ground...no major damage.

Patrick
USDA Zone 8b
Heat Zone 3
Sunset Zone 5

November 17th, 2010, 3:17 pm #43

Patrick
USDA Zone 8b
Heat Zone 3
Sunset Zone 5
I have the day off, and so I am planning on moving the one lone brug inside. No major damage from the wind, but we did lose power at 8:45, so decided to go to bed! Got a nice rest. We live close enough to the "foothills" that we need to watch for snow this weekend!

November 18th, 2010, 12:19 am #44

Patrick
USDA Zone 8b
Heat Zone 3
Sunset Zone 5
You all don't know how glad I am to tell you all this is over and done with for me

Canada 5b
Forum editing tech

November 18th, 2010, 5:35 am #45

Patrick
USDA Zone 8b
Heat Zone 3
Sunset Zone 5
RA, it's been really hard this year to whack on the brugs & put them away for the Winter. After a very poor perfomance year, I've had more brugs in bloom during the last 4 weeks than I had all the rest of the year. So it seems that I kept finding excuses to delay the project. I'm glad I finally did it however - between the wind storms and now the dropping temps, it's comforting to know they're safely put away. I reduced my collection in the process & I feel good about that, too. (The multiple jars of cuttings don't count, do they?!)

Patrick
USDA Zone 8b
Heat Zone 3
Sunset Zone 5

Confirmation of reply: