Don't tell everybody,but...

Don't tell everybody,but...

January 20th, 2008, 1:53 pm #1

We played our usual skins game yesterday,when the temperature was 25f. Of course,we had propane heaters and cart covers It actually was a nice day for golf,except the greens were frozen,so everyone had to hit bump-and-run shots to get the ball to stay on the greens.

OK,we are going to play again today The current temperature is 4f and the high is forecast to be 20f.

Mr.Chazman,

Today: Sunny, with a high near 64 in Phoenix. Why aren't you playing and were is the swing video you promised six months ago?

Regards,
Bob
Lexington, Ky.

January 20th, 2008, 6:12 pm #2

Thankfully they won't let us on the course
if the greens are frozen.

How well do you score with retracted balls?

January 21st, 2008, 1:46 am #3

<table align=center width=60%><tr><td style=font-size:x-medium;>Quote:<hr width=100%>How well do you score with retracted balls<hr width=100%></td></tr></table>

Actually,it wasn't too bad,as the sun was shining and there wasn't too much wind. I played the 6300 yard tees and shot 74,with three birdies,two doubles and a bogey;that got me one par-3 greenie and four skins (four people playing skins.) You don't often hit a second shot 7 iron from 90 yards downhill,but if you wanted to get the ball to stay on the frozen greens, you played a bump-and-run. Considering I was wearing two pairs of gloves, I thought played well. There was plenty of scrambling,to be sure.

I'm enjoying my S&T swing
Regards,
Bob
Lexington, Ky.

January 21st, 2008, 1:59 am #4

Shooting 74 wearing two pairs of gloves and
hitting downhill with a 7 iron from 90 yards;
I would say you enjoy your S&T swing.

January 21st, 2008, 2:36 am #5

forgot to mention that we played lift,clean and place
Regards,
Bob
Lexington, Ky.

January 22nd, 2008, 5:45 pm #6

We played our usual skins game yesterday,when the temperature was 25f. Of course,we had propane heaters and cart covers It actually was a nice day for golf,except the greens were frozen,so everyone had to hit bump-and-run shots to get the ball to stay on the greens.

OK,we are going to play again today The current temperature is 4f and the high is forecast to be 20f.

Mr.Chazman,

Today: Sunny, with a high near 64 in Phoenix. Why aren't you playing and were is the swing video you promised six months ago?
can you do the same for Helen Georgia and post it here? Im back in florida.
Did you really shoot a 74?- with no cheatin or anything like that?

JC

January 22nd, 2008, 11:17 pm #7

http://tinyurl.com/36vxrg

I try to cheat only when someone isn't looking

But,to answer your question,yes I did shoot 74. Given the frozen greens,I'd say I was pretty lucky. However,from those shorter tees, that's about what I shoot in normal conditions. Also, remember,we were playing L,C and Place;so,you always have a good lie.
Regards,
Bob
Lexington, Ky.

January 27th, 2008, 4:28 am #8

Mr.Chazman,

The greens were frozen again today,with a high temperature of 33 degrees Fahrenheit, moderate wind of about 10 MPH and overcast skies. Today's Winter Rules score was 75,with three birdies and six bogeys. I'm putting very nicely,as well as chipping. It's been fun playing all bump-and-run shots into greens;although, I only hit 8 GIR.Ball striking wasn't quite as good as last weekend.
Hopefully,the greens will become unfrozen tomorrow,with a forecast high of 40 and sunny skies.
Regards,
Bob
Lexington, Ky.

January 27th, 2008, 6:31 pm #9

BOB From Kentucky , 75 is a darn good score for hitting 8 gir.
you must have a very good short game.
Which club do you use the most around the greens?

My short game stinks- I had a round of golf recently
where i hit 16 gir and shot a 81- ain't that bad?

IT'S my pouting obviously thats the problem.
BFK do you have any tips or little secrets that you
use when putting.

How is you putting on frozen greens compare to your
putting in the summer time.?

JC

January 28th, 2008, 4:29 am #10

Actually, putting on frozen greens was nice, for the most part (watch out for those frozen un-repaired divots

Today the greens started to thaw out as the day went on and the greens got slower,so I didn't putt as well today. Putting was definitely the difference today,as my ball striking was very good,for the most part.

I believe I have made a big discovery to help keep me from hooking the ball when I go after a drive. During the downswing, I try to get my hands to cover the ball.

Given the conditions, I played mostly chip shots that landed on the green a few feet and ran to the hole,using whatever club I thought would get the ball rolling to the hole. I do practice the short game quite a bit.

Today was 78,with one eagle,one birdie,one double and numerous missed (makable) par putts. Lately, I've been having good putting results with a slightly open stance and ball forward.
Regards,
Bob
Lexington, Ky.

January 28th, 2008, 2:11 pm #11

"I believe I have made a big discovery to help keep me from hooking the ball when I go after a drive. During the downswing, I try to get my hands to cover the ball".
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

BFK, can you be more pacific about what you mean by "I try to get
my hands to cover the ball."

What do you do with long iron shots like a 5 when the ground
is as hard as concrete?
I have trouble hitting the ball well and it stings my flanges.

JC

January 28th, 2008, 4:04 pm #12

Hitting a 5 iron on frozen ground means you need to plan on plenty of roll We were playing Winter Rules (lift,clean and PLACE),so you found some grass to place the ball. With my Callaway X12 Pro Series irons (Rifle shafts), there never is a shot that stings your hands.Hit it on the top,toward the heel,top of clubface, bottom of the clubface and you never get a stinging shot.

<table align=center width=60%><tr><td style=font-size:x-medium;>Quote:<hr width=100%>

BFK, can you be more pacific about what you mean by "I try to get
my hands to cover the ball."<hr width=100%></td></tr></table>

In your bent over position at address,when you look at your hands and then the the ground,you usually see the hands somewhere near your feet;right? OK, as you come through impact,try to see your hands pass over the ball (that is "cover" it)

Make sense?
Regards,
Bob
Lexington, Ky.

January 28th, 2008, 4:52 pm #13

THANKS BFK. I will have to try that tip in about 8 weeks-
I fell off a ladder and broke my left foot and had surgery
last Friday.

January 29th, 2008, 1:06 am #14

Wish you a speedy recovery! The weather should be perfect for golf in about 8 weeks.
Regards,
Bob
Lexington, Ky.

January 29th, 2008, 4:29 am #15

BFK Can i post some pictures of my foot?
The contraption they put around it looks like a piece
of Art!

Confirmation of reply: