David Verity is very sun-sensitive.

David Verity is very sun-sensitive.

May 18th, 2011, 1:40 am #1

Boy, I'm having a heck of a time keeping my david veritys green. When I first put the overwintered pots outside last month I gave them too much sun and burned the crap out of the them. I cut them both back by half(which I had to do anyway) so the greener leaves closer to the base of the plant were exposed. I've been gradually giving them sun again the last couple weeks and both plants were doing pretty well, remaining green. However, yesterday and today several hours of sun browned even the new growth on one of them and burned the crap out of the other one again. This is really getting frustrating. I'm not having trouble with any other plants. Even the schumannii, which has gotten just as much sun, is very green with no sign of sunburn. I remember last spring the DV were sensitive as well and initially burned a bit.

Dan
Zone 5
East-central Iowa
Last edited by hawkeye_wx on May 18th, 2011, 1:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
Dan
East-central Iowa
Zone 5a

May 18th, 2011, 2:17 am #2

I am having to cut my whole plant completely back. Mine has been in mostly shade but the nearly 40 degree drop in temps from 80 to mid 40's in one day and then the constant heavy downpours has decimated mine. If the rain slacks up enough tomorrow I will cut it down tomorrow and hope for the best.

Penny
NY
USDA hardiness zone 6a/6b
Heat zone 4
Sunset zone 39
Penny
Zone 6a
Western NY state

May 18th, 2011, 2:20 am #3

Boy, I'm having a heck of a time keeping my david veritys green. When I first put the overwintered pots outside last month I gave them too much sun and burned the crap out of the them. I cut them both back by half(which I had to do anyway) so the greener leaves closer to the base of the plant were exposed. I've been gradually giving them sun again the last couple weeks and both plants were doing pretty well, remaining green. However, yesterday and today several hours of sun browned even the new growth on one of them and burned the crap out of the other one again. This is really getting frustrating. I'm not having trouble with any other plants. Even the schumannii, which has gotten just as much sun, is very green with no sign of sunburn. I remember last spring the DV were sensitive as well and initially burned a bit.

Dan
Zone 5
East-central Iowa
I keep all of my cupheas in mostly shade, as that is where they are the happiest. They need a fair bit of water, especially when grown in the sun.

Bay Area, CA

May 18th, 2011, 2:26 am #4

Dan
Zone 5
East-central Iowa
I know that any overwintered plants or cuttings have to re-adjust once putting them outside or in the ground. They should come around and look the way you want eventually.

Steve
Martinsville, In
Heat zone 6
Sunset zone 35

May 18th, 2011, 5:27 am #5

Dan
Zone 5
East-central Iowa
Dan,

We find that the leaves of Cuphea DV turn darker here when the weather is cold. We are having abnormally cold nights in Madison lately. I put some of our overwintered plants outside and they seem to be doing fine here in Wisconsin though because our sun just isn't very intense. You really do have to "harden off" plants that have been in the house though (even if they've been under grow lights), especially in more southerly climates (to us, Iowa is more "south" and therefore warmer, but that may or may not be true)---keeping them in shade for a while and then exposing them to gradually increasing hours of sunlight. I bet, in time, your plants will adjust and be fine.

Kathi and Michael Rock
Madison, Wisconsin
Zone 4/5

May 18th, 2011, 12:02 pm #6

Dan
Zone 5
East-central Iowa
I've planted Cuphea "David Verity" all over my property, in sun and shade, and they seem to adjust fine, in the end. From my observation, they can take a few weeks to adjust when first planted but they have been pretty tough plants in the end - I don't think I've ever lost one in the transplanting process - mine all seem to take and grow well once they get going. The only problem I've had is potted plants, in full sun, needing frequent watering. I do, however, plant most of mine in a part-sun / part-shade location and they do very well with basically only occasional watering when it gets hot.

I'm really big on enriching my local soil extra humus, micro nutrients, and slow release fertilizers like Osmocote. Doing so, my DVs grow into huge monsters by the end of summer, actually forming a 2 foot+ high hedge around my patio, covered in flowers. These are photos from last year and 2009.

Here are some in late October, still blooming like crazy - no southbound hummer will go hungry in my garden!

You can kind of make out the Cuphea DV "hedge" around my patio:

This Cuphea DV (lower right of photo) was planted in full sun last year on the south side of my house. The foliage did get redder in full sun but otherwise the plant was healthy and still bloomed like crazy:

Dan - so I would say, don't worry too much about the discoloration. Some reddening of the foliage is normal in full sun - but it could also be slight damage from the cool wet spring we are having (here in the east at least). I think they will recover in the end though.

Wilmington, Delaware
USDA zone 7a
Heat zone 6
Sunset zone 32
Last edited by RonDEZone7a on May 18th, 2011, 12:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Wilmington, Delaware (USDA Zone 7a)

NLN

May 18th, 2011, 12:45 pm #7

Dan
Zone 5
East-central Iowa
Most of my larger Cupheas flower best in full sun. Since they are hardy in the ground here, I really don't have to worry about hardening them to full sun conditions. In the last 2 winters, they were all frozen to the ground but were among the first plants to break dormancy. In full sun, the leaves will get dark as a protection from the full force of the sun, but I accept that as the way the plants are intended to grow by nature.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Nancy L Newfield
Casa Colibrí
Metairie, Louisiana USA
USDA Zone 9

May 18th, 2011, 3:03 pm #8

Dan
Zone 5
East-central Iowa
Ron

It is surprising to me that your mature looking DV plants appear to be hardy in your zone 7. If that is so it just surprises me that Del. is zone 7

Steve
Martinsville, In
Heat zone 6
Sunset zone 35

May 19th, 2011, 10:47 am #9

Dan
Zone 5
East-central Iowa
Steve,

I am in Zone 7a but "David Verity" is not hardy here. They do all that growing in one season! Mine just bloom right up to the first hard frost, which comes here in late October or early November.

I wish they were hardy here because I buy 14 - 15 new plants every year. Maybe with my new greenhouse shed I can winter some in pots now. I will have to make it a point to root some cuttings in fall this year and try to overwinter some.

Wilmington, Delaware
USDA zone 7a
Heat zone 6
Sunset zone 32
Wilmington, Delaware (USDA Zone 7a)

May 19th, 2011, 11:48 am #10

Dan
Zone 5
East-central Iowa
When I have had enough DV to put some in the ground they have gotten quite large and bushy. I seem to remember them getting at least 2 1/2 to 3 ft. tall and about as wide maybe wider. It has been a couple of years since I have had enough to put some in the ground.

Penny
NY
USDA hardiness zone 6a/6b
Heat zone 4
Sunset zone 39
Penny
Zone 6a
Western NY state

Confirmation of reply: