Datura 'Box of Chocolates' D 169-70

Datura 'Box of Chocolates' D 169-70

August 21st, 2010, 11:40 pm #1

Here are two seedlings from the seed strain Datura 'Box of Chocolates', obtained from Jack of blicon. These bloomed for the first time on August 7th. I see tiny buds on many of the other Datura seedlings, hope they bloom before frost, and that there is even time to set seed.

August 21st, 2010, 11:42 pm #2

August 21st, 2010, 11:44 pm #3

Here are two seedlings from the seed strain Datura 'Box of Chocolates', obtained from Jack of blicon. These bloomed for the first time on August 7th. I see tiny buds on many of the other Datura seedlings, hope they bloom before frost, and that there is even time to set seed.

August 22nd, 2010, 1:05 pm #4

Great, John, and I hope I get blooms............not looking promising so far. This is a beautiful datura.

USDA Zone 7/8
Copper Canyon
North Central Texas

August 22nd, 2010, 1:20 pm #5

Hi Carrie,

My seeds were planted March 20th, and are taking a long time to bloom. I would have thought the very hot summer would have been ideal datura weather. I note that the local wild Datura are in flower now, though.

This first batch (of 4) gave 100% germination rather rapidly, and made nice plants with purple stems. They all have tiny flower buds, so I am hopeful. The other batches are even slower coming along.

It seems to me Datura always have one magnificent first flower, then smaller flowers later on.

I really would like to save seeds, and see if this batch are stabilized as a seed strain--- to come 'true' from seed, or if further variations will appear.

August 22nd, 2010, 7:46 pm #6

I have only one that MAY flower for me........... I had very poor germination. And yes, datura have always handled the heat with no problem.....one of the reasons I like to grow them. Not this year, however.............just a very strange season for me. Think I will just regroup and start over next year.

USDA Zone 7/8
Copper Canyon
North Central Texas

August 23rd, 2010, 1:16 am #7

I like yours John with the hint of mauve on the creamy yellow, I think it would show up well despite the foliage.

Canada 5b
Forum editing tech

August 23rd, 2010, 3:57 am #8

Thanks, Ruth Ann. And thanks for helping me get in touch with Jack to obtain these seeds!

September 8th, 2010, 7:35 pm #9

Lovelly,next year I will try with datura seeds...looks wonderful....I'm impressed

http://houseandecogarden.blogspot.com/
http://healthyanddeliciousrecipes.blogspot.com/

Confirmation of reply: