Dana Quigley

Dana Quigley

August 30th, 2005, 2:12 pm #1

http://www.megspace.com/sports/moetown/ ... _clip.html

Watch this clip. Notice the forward position of the trail elbow. Ball played off left instep. How right forearm is near-parallel to the ground at impact. How it appears that his right shoulder is hitting the ball. Other than the square stance, does anyone else see lots of Blake here?

It sort of looks "reflex" to me...

August 30th, 2005, 2:36 pm #2

Very much like TGSOF. The overhead looks like the book cover on our masthead.

August 30th, 2005, 11:57 pm #3

http://www.megspace.com/sports/moetown/ ... _clip.html

Watch this clip. Notice the forward position of the trail elbow. Ball played off left instep. How right forearm is near-parallel to the ground at impact. How it appears that his right shoulder is hitting the ball. Other than the square stance, does anyone else see lots of Blake here?

It sort of looks "reflex" to me...
I also see similarity to Blake's swing. Backswing is flatter than Mindy--reminds me a lot of Richard Wax's swing. Jim

Richard Wax
Richard Wax

August 31st, 2005, 6:00 pm #4

Just back to Chicago after a swing through California. The Mindy Blake devotees at Riviera CC is flourishing. Our two leading exponents, Frank and Gene are playing confidently and their knowldege of the method is very impressive. Gene is relishing in the approach and Frank is beaning it well past the 250 yard marker with no effort.

I was in good form scoring in the mid-70's despite a 7.00 am teetime!

On my return to Europe I'll advance the process of creating an updated version of the book.

Also hope to be back in the US in January into Florida so maybe we could focus on some more filming then.

Richard Wax
Richard Wax

September 3rd, 2005, 8:11 pm #5

I was obtaining excellent results today and the thought process was as follows:

forget one is striking a golf ball and adopt the precise positions described by Mindy at address.

then think of dragging a seriouly heavy weight over the ball and brace the body in the backswing to prepare for the drag which the legs are about to initiate.

By eliminating all thoughts of "hitting" a golf ball, the body is configured to deliver an efficient effort and the result is some of the purest shots I've ever hit!

Thought I'd share this with fellow-Mindy devotees.

September 4th, 2005, 6:13 pm #6

Richard,
My first thought was that to 'brace' the body in the backswing would counteract Mindy's direction to maintain relaxation in the transmission muscles. Your idea seems to directly address eliminating the dreaded 'hit impulse'. Re excellent results: were you hitting the ball straighter or farther...or both? Was there a feeling of increased control as well? Thanks, Jim

Richard Wax
Richard Wax

September 4th, 2005, 9:01 pm #7

The effort of swinging the upper body over the right hip is very much Mindy's thinking and it takes the swing out of the confined area between the feet into an area from whence there is more leverage available.

The thought of dragging a heavy weight does absolutely eliminate the hit or release leakage which would anull the entire composition of Mindy's design.

The results were both straighter and longer. However the main feeling I had was that I had added air time to the ball with no extra effort whatsoever.
A feeling of purity of pressure on ball. I feel that if one focues on the idea of "I am going to hit a golf ball", then there will be a resultant hit with hands and wrists. If one addreses the ball with the intention of dragging a heavy weight over the ball, one is very much in the mindset shown by Mindy on page 7 Figure 3.

One of my resolutions when I return to Paris is to exercise with the rubber strap to emphasise this dragging position. I'll report back to the Forum on results.

Incidentally, Mindy was very much into "mindsets". He would say that it should "feel as if"...some aspect of the swing was taking place. This does not mean that it was physically happening but rather that this was the "feeling" one should have.

September 4th, 2005, 9:58 pm #8

Page 77, Figure 3....

September 5th, 2005, 1:55 am #9

I was obtaining excellent results today and the thought process was as follows:

forget one is striking a golf ball and adopt the precise positions described by Mindy at address.

then think of dragging a seriouly heavy weight over the ball and brace the body in the backswing to prepare for the drag which the legs are about to initiate.

By eliminating all thoughts of "hitting" a golf ball, the body is configured to deliver an efficient effort and the result is some of the purest shots I've ever hit!

Thought I'd share this with fellow-Mindy devotees.
That's the way I learn most effectively. Can't wait to try it.

September 5th, 2005, 4:15 am #10

The effort of swinging the upper body over the right hip is very much Mindy's thinking and it takes the swing out of the confined area between the feet into an area from whence there is more leverage available.

The thought of dragging a heavy weight does absolutely eliminate the hit or release leakage which would anull the entire composition of Mindy's design.

The results were both straighter and longer. However the main feeling I had was that I had added air time to the ball with no extra effort whatsoever.
A feeling of purity of pressure on ball. I feel that if one focues on the idea of "I am going to hit a golf ball", then there will be a resultant hit with hands and wrists. If one addreses the ball with the intention of dragging a heavy weight over the ball, one is very much in the mindset shown by Mindy on page 7 Figure 3.

One of my resolutions when I return to Paris is to exercise with the rubber strap to emphasise this dragging position. I'll report back to the Forum on results.

Incidentally, Mindy was very much into "mindsets". He would say that it should "feel as if"...some aspect of the swing was taking place. This does not mean that it was physically happening but rather that this was the "feeling" one should have.
I'll have to give some thought to the feeling of purity of pressure. What is 'release leakage'? Could you describe the rubber strap exercise? I also have always liked Mindy's similes and metaphors to describe sensations of the swing. Jim

Maurice
Maurice

September 6th, 2005, 9:44 pm #11

Richard, if you are stopping by Paris, I really would like to see you practicing if possible and discuss about Reflex swing.

I switched from CG to RS over last autumn and attended a session at Marivaux golf club. My golf improved a bit in consistency, but not as much as I expected (I must admit however that I play no more than one or twice a month).

My thirst of knowing more about the technique of Mindy Blake pushed me to read Golf:GtB this summer. I learned details that the pro didn't mention during the session. So I returned to the driving range last week-end to put these details into practice with the hope of really improving my swing and the feelings you mentionned earlier. But things were going worse than ever, so I returned home very frustrated and disapointed !

That's why I really would love to see the maestro in practice. And I'm sure I would not be the only one.

Last thing, I've heard about DVDs about you. Do they exist in a format compatible with french DVD readers ?

Looking forward to meet you in Paris...

Maurice

September 7th, 2005, 1:49 am #12

While the DVDs discussed here are not in SECAM, you should be able to play them on your computer using one of the software DVD players like WinDVD or PowerDVD as long as you have a DVD drive.

Peter

September 7th, 2005, 12:00 pm #13

Richard,
Is it possible that one of the reasons why the reflex swing has taken so long to get accepted and practiced, is one of semantics? What i am saying is that it seems that the task of putting theory into practice has been bogged down by the interpretation of the words used in Mindy's books. Is it possible that this is
a fundamental problem, or is it only a sign of my desperation ?
I will use an example to make my point.

When i read about "dragging the club" the idea of resistance comes to my mind. This is reinforced by the idea of imagining that the club is very heavy and needs to be "dragged". In reality the club is very light. Now in my mind, dragging the club invariably causes me to accelerate my down movement, in order to overcome the imagined heaviness. To imagine the club being heavy will reduce the need for hitting, however this is then offset by my accelerating the movement, resulting in a premature release action. This is counter productive and cannot bring about the desired result. Dragging is synonymous with effort,
the reflex swing is effortless.

Looking back, the little success that i have experienced with the reflex swing was as a result of my resisting the temptation to accelerate the club during the down swing, and consequently not releasing the club.

September 7th, 2005, 12:48 pm #14

In the video Richard talks about Blake as a lead swide swing with little involvement from the trail hand. If you 'drag' with the lead hand and keep the trail hand 'out of it' you will not get a premature release even with an accelerated movement. So it may not be semantics that is the problem but a different concept of what is happening associated with the 'dragging'.

Peter

Richard Wax
Richard Wax

September 7th, 2005, 2:06 pm #15

I'll have to give some thought to the feeling of purity of pressure. What is 'release leakage'? Could you describe the rubber strap exercise? I also have always liked Mindy's similes and metaphors to describe sensations of the swing. Jim
Release leakage is when I feel that I haven't made the effort to ensure the grip completon has been achieved and this results in a leakage of leverage on the ball as the wrists might start to come into the swing.

As for the exercise with the rubber strap, it is a wide strip of rubber which I attach to a door handle. I adopt the Mindy stance and then pull the strap over the ball position. I get the feeling that this strengthens he very muscles I need to propel the ball. I'll get back to the Forum with results.

Confirmation of reply: