Cuttings

Cuttings

September 12th, 2017, 6:17 am #1

When trying to root David Verity do you just cut a branch, remove some leaves at the bottom and put it in water? I did that last year with no success. Or, do you put the cutting in potting soil?

I have three plants of Vermillionaire that didn't grow very well because they are in too much shade. I was thinking of digging them up to pot and see if they make the winter inside. I wonder if that will work.

Sometimes I'm surprised how easy it is to get roots on cuttings when in water without trying and other times it does not happen. African Blue basil really surprised me with getting roots on a cutting I had in a small bouquet that was in water.

Carol Trego
New Cumberland, Pennsylvania USA
Zone 6b

September 12th, 2017, 11:54 am #2

I think they will root in water although I have always done it in potting soil. You want to use green wood, don't cut down to the brown. Plants brought in will probably do OK depending on indoor conditions. Generally David Verity is a very easy plant to root from cuttings.
Southern New Jersey

September 12th, 2017, 2:36 pm #3

When trying to root David Verity do you just cut a branch, remove some leaves at the bottom and put it in water? I did that last year with no success. Or, do you put the cutting in potting soil?

I have three plants of Vermillionaire that didn't grow very well because they are in too much shade. I was thinking of digging them up to pot and see if they make the winter inside. I wonder if that will work.

Sometimes I'm surprised how easy it is to get roots on cuttings when in water without trying and other times it does not happen. African Blue basil really surprised me with getting roots on a cutting I had in a small bouquet that was in water.

Carol Trego
New Cumberland, Pennsylvania USA
Zone 6b
I think they will root in water although like Ward I prefer to start them in soil. Seems if you start them in water then the adjustment to soil is difficult. I dont know if there is an easier plant to root than david verity.
Steve W.
Martinsville IN.
Zone 6