Cuphea Vermilionaire?

Cuphea Vermilionaire?

June 24th, 2016, 5:59 pm #1

I just transplanted three of these plants into the ground. One is doing really well but the other two have lost their flowers. What could be the problem?
Burke Baker
Santa Rosa Beach, FL
We are right next to Sandestin Resort between Destin and Panama City.

June 24th, 2016, 7:29 pm #2

Burke, First, I say that this is not the best time to be transplanting insofar as it is very warm - at least it is here. Cuphea need lots and lots of water. I have 1 Cuphea 'Vermillionaire' in the ground since last year and 1 in a 5 gallon container - both in full sun. Neither is flowering as densely as they did last year when I first got them. I wouldn't do this with recently transplanted plants, but I am going to give both of mine a healthy shot of Super Bloom.
Nancy L Newfield
Casa Colibrí
Metairie, LA

June 24th, 2016, 7:58 pm #3

I just transplanted three of these plants into the ground. One is doing really well but the other two have lost their flowers. What could be the problem?
Burke, was the soil in all the pots moist before you planted them? If the medium in a pot has dried out, it's frequently necessary to actually soak the plant in a bucket of water to force it to take up the water. If you planted a dry plant into the garden thinking that watering afterward would remedy the problem, then you may still have a very dry plant. Just a possibility for your consideration.

I've found Vermillionaire very easy to root from cuttings, and our Florida heat and humidity provide a natural greenhouse. And the hummers love it!!

June 24th, 2016, 8:32 pm #4

June, a landscaping crew transplanted these potted plants for us. When I got home that afternoon I watered them in pretty good but maybe not good enough. I have a soaker hose on them now so hopefully they'll recover soon.

Nan, I think you're right in that I didn't pick a good time to transplant during this extreme heat. They must still be a little shocked. I'll keep plenty of water on them and hope they flower again this summer.
Burke Baker
Santa Rosa Beach, FL
We are right next to Sandestin Resort between Destin and Panama City.

July 7th, 2016, 1:38 pm #5

We all have had trouble with whatever is bothering David Verity and Vermillionair. So how are folks plants doing now that we're into July.

My row of 6 David Verity are now about 2 feet tall and doing better despite still showing some curled leaves. They are just entering their heavy bloom stage and are now regularly being visited.

Vermillionair of which there are a whole bunch present a more mixed bag. Some are roughly a foot times a foot and blooming very heavily now. Others are just OK with quite a bit of leaf curl and a few are struggling. Hummingbirds visiting them a bit but I am sure this will pick up (at least I hope) once the gardens become mobbed (more hope) with fledglings and migrants.

These are two plants I just don't want to give up on despite their issues.
Southern New Jersey

July 7th, 2016, 2:22 pm #6

I have two vermillionaire in pots. They are both doing well. The 16" pot is, as expected, not growing at the rate david verity used to(not necessarily a bad thing for a pot). It is, however, bushy and loaded with blooms. The smaller pot(9"?) is growing well and, oddly, has a bit lusher foliage than the bigger one. The smaller one is not quite as loaded with blooms, but has plenty. I've also noticed the smaller pot has blooms with slightly bigger openings... not sure why. I've only had a few hummers visiting my yard(daily) over the last month, but the vermillionaire has been used heavily. On my patio I have pots of black & blue, amistad, wendy's wish, heatwave blaze, cuphea llavea (batface), and two vermillionaire. The verms have been the top choice.
Dan
East-central Iowa
Zone 5a

July 7th, 2016, 2:45 pm #7

That is good to hear Dan. Vermillionaire was new to me last year and by the time it was planted the garden was pretty full so it went into an area where I couldn't watch it.
Southern New Jersey

July 7th, 2016, 7:18 pm #8

Our Home Depot usually never has any worthwhile hummingbird plants, but when we were there last night for some other gardening supplies we found Cuphea 'Vermillionaire'---of course, I just had to buy one. I only wish we had as many hummingbirds as cuphea plants in our garden right now!!
Madison, WI
Zone 5a

July 7th, 2016, 7:49 pm #9

Luckily my david verity doesnt seem to be bothered by curled leaves just JB. My plant is about 2' tall and looking quite nice other than JB.

In checking the plant today I found JB piggy backing on the plant and I proceeded to pick off 16 of these damn annoying and destructive critters. Surprisingly and thankfully they were not on my schumannii.

Steve W.
Martinsville IN.
Zone 6

July 7th, 2016, 7:57 pm #10

I have more Japanese beetles than usual. They haven't been on the Cuphea but to my surprise they have been at the Agastache scrophulariifolia. Who would have guessed they would eat any Agastache? It has been beetle month. Potato beetles keep appearing on the tomatoes requiring daily removal.
Southern New Jersey

July 8th, 2016, 12:03 am #11

Im now seeing Jb on my roses. May have to consider putting down some milky spores.
Steve W.
Martinsville IN.
Zone 6

July 8th, 2016, 12:09 am #12

My Cuphea are the same way...So do we fertilize??? And with what?

July 8th, 2016, 12:43 am #13

When I planted Vermillionair & David Verity I gave them organic veggie garden food and followed a month later with blood & bone meal. They both respond to feeding and like water.
Southern New Jersey