Countersteering your Harley...

Countersteering your Harley...

April 8th, 2007, 2:30 am #1

I posted this link on the SA forum for you.

It is true that you must countersteer in order to turn your motorcycle or bicycle. Peter still will not acknowledge that this is correct and trys to make fun of it. Head in the sand.

Go read about countersteering and learn something...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Countersteering

April 8th, 2007, 1:19 pm #2

Ride a motercycle-i guess your never to old.
But on a serious note- Can you explain what countersteering has to do with the golf swing?
I havn't been following the debate. THANKS

JC

April 8th, 2007, 5:34 pm #3

In the golf swing I believe people do things that they don't realize they are doing. By mentally changing the task that your trying to perform you can change things in your swing without thinking about it. Peter says this is not possible.

For example...it has been proven that when people are asked to throw the golf club down the middle of the fairway as far as they can, they immediately change their swing and create a totally different swing than what they use when swinging at a ball. The change happens instantly just by changing the mental image of what the task is.

A simple mental change of task results in a different swing without thinking about it.No conscious thoughts. Swinging an axe is yet another example of an instant swing change. People just do it with out thinking about it.

Peter at the SA forum said this is not true and all things you do must be consciously learned in order to perform them. I disagree.

The best example I can think of is countersteering a bicycle. No one ever consciously learns to countersteer a bike. It is a subconscious movement that everyone does. It still requires that you learn it BUT it is NOT learned through a conscious training exercise. It is learn subconsciously.

This is an excellent example because most people will argue that they never learned it and they don't use countersteering. Peter, Ham, Chazman all say no they don't countersteer. This proves my point perfectly because what they don't realize is they have no choice. The only way to get a bicycle to turn left is to first turn right.It MUST be countersteered in order to turn.It is a balancing act and it is proven Physics.

So Peter, Ham, Chazman are all doing something that they don't make any conscious effort to do. IT JUST HAPPENS subconsciously!! They are so stuck in their theories that they flat out refuse to believe it to be true.

This proves that you don't have to consciously change your swing through learning positions. You can change your swing by simply changing the mental picture of what you are trying to accomplish and you will get an instant change.

You can also try to change your swing by learning positions. This is the most common teaching method but if you don't change your mental concept of the task then any major changes will be difficult.

April 8th, 2007, 9:26 pm #4

It is true that you must countersteer in order to turn your motorcycle or bicycle. Peter still will not acknowledge that this is correct and trys to make fun of it. Head in the sand.

You are racing and need to make a super tight turn, or if you simply want to lay the bike down to avoid an accident.

I can never,ever, recall turning the handle bars in the opposite direction unless I wanted to do the above.

April 8th, 2007, 11:54 pm #5

Obviously not.

The whole point of the articles (written by physics departments) is that you MUST countersteer. It is NOT an option.

What is it that you can't understand? Do you, Peter and Ham all think you know so much about everything that you can ignore these University Physics studies and just go form an opinion on your own that is correct?

Go educate yourself and READ THEM and try to learn something. You guys sound so stupid forming your silly opinions.

I find it laughable that you, Peter and Ham can be so sure of your selves when you all know nothing at all about the subject of bicycle physics. NOTHING.

After you have read the studies come back and THEN tell me they are wrong.

April 9th, 2007, 5:18 am #6

pin head professors from some commie college state it is true.

You DON'T have to countersteer a motorcycle (turn the handle bars in the opposite direction) to make a turn, 15 years of riding one has taught me that.

My suggestion is have these pinheads go to a biker bar and tell the denizens there that they have to steer left to turn right, and see what happens!

My guess is the pinheads would be looking to the school of dentistry for their next bogus theory!

April 9th, 2007, 12:22 pm #7

<object width="425" height="350"><param name="movie" value=""></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"></embed></object>
Regards,
Bob
Lexington, Ky.

April 9th, 2007, 12:41 pm #8

on his lunch hour going to a fine restaraunt.

Interesting article on counter-steering:
http://www.msgroup.org/TIP048.html

April 9th, 2007, 1:01 pm #9

pin head professors from some commie college state it is true.

You DON'T have to countersteer a motorcycle (turn the handle bars in the opposite direction) to make a turn, 15 years of riding one has taught me that.

My suggestion is have these pinheads go to a biker bar and tell the denizens there that they have to steer left to turn right, and see what happens!

My guess is the pinheads would be looking to the school of dentistry for their next bogus theory!
You have an inability to learn new things.

It is a case of you can't teach the old dog new tricks.

You are at a point in your life where you can only hear the voice in your own head. You face everything you don't understand as being bogus.It's your way only.Typical cop attitude.

April 9th, 2007, 1:06 pm #10

<object width="425" height="350"><param name="movie" value=""></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"></embed></object>
Perhaps Mr. Chazman can tell us what's in
that black bag around his waiste
A change of under drawers?

April 9th, 2007, 1:12 pm #11

on his lunch hour going to a fine restaraunt.

Interesting article on counter-steering:
http://www.msgroup.org/TIP048.html
5 for that one. Man you guys are good!!!!!

April 9th, 2007, 1:54 pm #12

You are racing and need to make a super tight turn, or if you simply want to lay the bike down to avoid an accident.

I can never,ever, recall turning the handle bars in the opposite direction unless I wanted to do the above.
http://www.motorcyclecruiser.com/street ... rsteering/

Just google 'countersteering motorcycle'...there are lots of them. Interesting that in the 1st paragraph of the one I linked, the author talks about a CHIPS motorcycle instructor not teaching countersteering "because it confuses them". Hmmmm. The lead-in paragraph refers to the "nut" that connects the handlebars and the seat.

April 9th, 2007, 1:56 pm #13

The rear end seems a little small and I don't mean the bike.

April 9th, 2007, 3:28 pm #14

In the golf swing I believe people do things that they don't realize they are doing. By mentally changing the task that your trying to perform you can change things in your swing without thinking about it. Peter says this is not possible.

For example...it has been proven that when people are asked to throw the golf club down the middle of the fairway as far as they can, they immediately change their swing and create a totally different swing than what they use when swinging at a ball. The change happens instantly just by changing the mental image of what the task is.

A simple mental change of task results in a different swing without thinking about it.No conscious thoughts. Swinging an axe is yet another example of an instant swing change. People just do it with out thinking about it.

Peter at the SA forum said this is not true and all things you do must be consciously learned in order to perform them. I disagree.

The best example I can think of is countersteering a bicycle. No one ever consciously learns to countersteer a bike. It is a subconscious movement that everyone does. It still requires that you learn it BUT it is NOT learned through a conscious training exercise. It is learn subconsciously.

This is an excellent example because most people will argue that they never learned it and they don't use countersteering. Peter, Ham, Chazman all say no they don't countersteer. This proves my point perfectly because what they don't realize is they have no choice. The only way to get a bicycle to turn left is to first turn right.It MUST be countersteered in order to turn.It is a balancing act and it is proven Physics.

So Peter, Ham, Chazman are all doing something that they don't make any conscious effort to do. IT JUST HAPPENS subconsciously!! They are so stuck in their theories that they flat out refuse to believe it to be true.

This proves that you don't have to consciously change your swing through learning positions. You can change your swing by simply changing the mental picture of what you are trying to accomplish and you will get an instant change.

You can also try to change your swing by learning positions. This is the most common teaching method but if you don't change your mental concept of the task then any major changes will be difficult.
What you are saying.
I've heard good players say that when they are
swinging well they can hit a draw or fade without
changing anything in their swing.
Just think draw or fade and it happens.

Is that kinda what you mean?
Do you think Lee Trevino is a good example
of someone would do that? OR Am i full of prunes?
Or am i full of prunes regardless

When a motercycle racer leans into a turn-
How does he know how much to lean?
Is that a consouch(sorry) effort or does it just happen?
Does leaning into a turn and countersteering have
any relationship?
Sorry for all the questions but you have peaked my intrest.

JC

April 9th, 2007, 3:40 pm #15

The rear end seems a little small and I don't mean the bike.
Mr Chazman seems to bring out the best in you
guys.Do you think we might be careying it too
far? He might be a sensitive fellow underneath
and decide enough is enough and leave forever.

JC

Confirmation of reply: