Coral Honeysuckle

Coral Honeysuckle

March 18th, 2012, 7:27 pm #1

It's only mid March, but the weather is so incredibly warm my honeysuckle is putting out a lot of growth. Unfortunately, that also means one bad thing... APHIDS!!! They are not wasting any time this year. My honeysuckle is just beginning to have leaves mature enough for them and I already found some this morning. It looks like I'll have to check every day so I can squish and spray them off. I sure hope it's not as bad as last year, but the incredibly warm winter probably means bad insects this spring/summer.

Dan
Zone 5
East-central Iowa

<span style="width:180px;text-align:center;font-family:sans-serif;font-size:12px;">
Click for weather forecast</span>
Last edited by hawkeye_wx on March 18th, 2012, 7:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dan
East-central Iowa
Zone 5a

March 18th, 2012, 8:06 pm #2

I cut mine back yesterday and opened it up so that more air could get through hopefully that will thwart the aphids some.

Penny
NY
USDA hardiness zone 6a
Heat zone 4
Sunset zone 39
Penny
Zone 6a
Western NY state

March 18th, 2012, 8:30 pm #3

It's only mid March, but the weather is so incredibly warm my honeysuckle is putting out a lot of growth. Unfortunately, that also means one bad thing... APHIDS!!! They are not wasting any time this year. My honeysuckle is just beginning to have leaves mature enough for them and I already found some this morning. It looks like I'll have to check every day so I can squish and spray them off. I sure hope it's not as bad as last year, but the incredibly warm winter probably means bad insects this spring/summer.

Dan
Zone 5
East-central Iowa

<span style="width:180px;text-align:center;font-family:sans-serif;font-size:12px;">
Dan

If you hadnt started this thread I would have. Im sorry to hear that you have found aphids already. I checked all my honeysuckle earlier today and cant tell that I have them as yet but that means very little. Also spider mites can be a problem, so I will be hitting them with neem as soon as I see any evidence of them. It does no good to pretreat with this. Yes I agree it certainly is strange we have to talk about and deal with this in mid march. I am very low on neem but I do have a good bit of bonide horticultural spray which is for organic gardening and does the same thing smothers insects.

I have also given my honeysuckle a dose on a regimen of liquid seaweed hoping this will help them to be more resistant to disease and insects. Cant hurt since I do have it.

Another reason I am glad this thread is started is because my major wheeler has set clusters and may soon be blooming which is surprising once again because it is march . I am expecting a more mature season with the major this season. It looks very good at this point.

Steve
Martinsville, In
Heat zone 6
Sunset zone 35

March 18th, 2012, 11:42 pm #4

Dan
Zone 5
East-central Iowa

I guess I'm lucky, I don't get aphids on my honeysuckle, but I do get leaf miner sometimes.

<span style="width:170px;text-align:center;font-family:sans-serif;font-size:12px;">

I take that back. Just found aphids. Is it okay to use Bonide All Seasons Spray Oil? I used it a couple years ago on
the leaf miner and it worked well. It has aphids listed on bottle as well. It is horticultural and Dormant.
Last edited by roper2008 on April 7th, 2012, 9:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

March 19th, 2012, 7:01 am #5

Dan
Zone 5
East-central Iowa

I guess I am also lucky in not getting any aphids. It could happen yet but it seems that all these hungry vicious killer ladybugs have things under control. They even bite me and it hurts. The only things that I have seen on my coral honeysuckle vines are hummingbirds, cardinals, mockingbirds and occasionally a red-tailed hawk! I don't know what he was after but he caught my eye and only reluctantly departed after my approach got too close. The squawking mockingbird that was a few feet away on the honeysuckle at that time did not leave. I will have to start looking a lot closer but it has been many years since I have seen an aphid infestation. Even then the little suckers didn't seem to do much damage except give me the chilly-willys when I saw the large herds. Back then, I purchased a small bag of seemingly harmless ladybugs and released them. I now have a carnivorous ladybug infestation. One time I went into my storage building looking for something. I looked into a large open sack and saw that it was about half full of corn. Then all that corn started moving in a swirling motion. Ouch!

Jim
south Georgia
zone 8

March 19th, 2012, 8:07 pm #6

Dan
Zone 5
East-central Iowa

I took another close look today on my honeysuckle and I found some. I had to open the leaves where the small clusters are and that is where they are and can usually be found there if anywhere. Now its time for action. I found mine on goldflame but Im sure they are on coral honeysuckle also.

Steve
Martinsville, In
Heat zone 6
Sunset zone 35

March 19th, 2012, 8:14 pm #7

Dan
Zone 5
East-central Iowa

I think the aphids are more oif a plague to those of us up north than to those in the southern states. It could be that they can't take the prolonged heat and humidity as they seem to thrive in our cool wet spring weather...one more reason to move back south.

Penny
NY
USDA hardiness zone 6a
Heat zone 4
Sunset zone 39
Last edited by Pennytoo on March 19th, 2012, 10:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Penny
Zone 6a
Western NY state

March 19th, 2012, 9:15 pm #8

Dan
Zone 5
East-central Iowa

Im guessing ladybugs are not plentifull enough in my area. I have had them save a plant before though.

As for coral honeysuckle hummerbirds love them its just that aphids seem to love them more and I for one have had to battle the aphids for years now . C.H. starts out looking awesome then the insects get to them it seems. I tried major wheeler last year and it seemed to do pretty well pretty much insect and mildew free as advertized .

I gave a dose of neem today but will wait till most of the clusters open before I hit them again, its just easier when dont have to open each and every leaf cluster by hand.

Steve
Martinsville, In
Heat zone 6
Sunset zone 35

Last edited by Stevenindy on March 19th, 2012, 9:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jana
jana

March 20th, 2012, 2:07 am #9

Dan
Zone 5
East-central Iowa

I make up a dish soap and vegetable oil spray for the aphids. Works well on the milkweed aphids also.

Hummerless in Montverde.

Jana & Joy

March 20th, 2012, 6:46 am #10

Dan
Zone 5
East-central Iowa

Do hummingbirds eat aphids? How much do they damage the plants?

Confirmation of reply: