Copy Cat?

Copy Cat?

June 28th, 2011, 6:14 pm #1

The other day I was walking here near Seattle and I heard a thrumming sound. I turned and saw a bird that was 7 to 8 inches long, brown, short-beaked, and hovering vertical like a hummingbird. It would hover from plant to plant and then alight on the plant and hop from place to place. I don't know much about hummingbirds but this surely wasn't one, right?

June 28th, 2011, 6:28 pm #2

Hello Mac and welcome to the forum.
Hopefully one of our knowledgable birders will have an answer for you. BTW, where are you located that might help to identify your mystery bird.

Penny
NY
USDA hardiness zone 6
Heat zone 4
Sunset zone 39
Penny
Zone 6a
Western NY state

June 28th, 2011, 7:30 pm #3

The other day I was walking here near Seattle and I heard a thrumming sound. I turned and saw a bird that was 7 to 8 inches long, brown, short-beaked, and hovering vertical like a hummingbird. It would hover from plant to plant and then alight on the plant and hop from place to place. I don't know much about hummingbirds but this surely wasn't one, right?
A flycatcher, maybe? They hover, though not as well as hummingbirds.

Lisa
Central NJ/ z6b
Heat zone 5/6

June 28th, 2011, 7:41 pm #4

I just looked at a few pictures of them and it is possible. I wish I had had my camera with me...

June 28th, 2011, 7:42 pm #5

Hello Mac and welcome to the forum.
Hopefully one of our knowledgable birders will have an answer for you. BTW, where are you located that might help to identify your mystery bird.

Penny
NY
USDA hardiness zone 6
Heat zone 4
Sunset zone 39
Thanks Penny, I figured if anyone would know it would be folks here. I'm a few miles from Seattle, here in the Puget Sound area

June 28th, 2011, 8:23 pm #6

Mac
It's good to have you with us. We do have a couple of member from your area so if you want to know more about hummers this is the place.

Penny
NY
USDA hardiness zone 6
Heat zone 4
Sunset zone 39
Penny
Zone 6a
Western NY state

June 28th, 2011, 10:54 pm #7

Hummers can't hop.....

Confirmation of reply: