Common nighthawk

September 7th, 2018, 2:02 am #1

A few days ago, in the evening, I saw several strange birds flying back and forth over the open field near my house.  I did not recognize them, but did see distinct white bands on their wings.  That apparently makes them common nighthawks, a new lifer for me.
Dan
East-central Iowa
Zone 5a

September 7th, 2018, 3:48 am #2

Nighthawks are indeed a very cool bird- congrats on your lifer!  Look also for them perched on fence post/barbed weird, often blending in with the old and weathered wood.  You are lucky to see them in your neighborhood- I only see them in Eastern Washington. 
Ruth
Everett,WA
Zone 8

September 9th, 2018, 9:06 am #3

I have only seen one for fall migration this year. No doubt more flew over me because I wasn't looking up. I usually see them in late afternoon toward dusk often in scattered groups. They breed in fire zones in the pine barrens of NJ, their last stronghold in this area. When flat roofs had gravel covering them they used to breed in towns and cities all around here. As an example Phillies night baseball games always featured them hunting insects around the lights. Magical bird in flight.
Southern New Jersey

September 12th, 2018, 10:47 pm #4

Speaking of strange birds I had a bit of an encounter similar to my avatar.  I just happened to look out my slider as something caught the corner of my eye.  It was a large hawk that crashed into the top of my cardinal climber,  then it was on the fence in back of me.  Appeared it missed its catch but dont know what it was after. Doves are the largest bird around that Ive noticed lately.  Gave me a bit of a rush to see that.
Steve W.
Martinsville IN.
Zone 6

Confirmation of reply: