Cold, Rain, no Hummingbirds

May 14th, 2016, 5:44 pm #1

Hello all. Was encouraged to see Dan's post about his first hummingbird in Iowa. I'm having a similar experience here in southwestern PA, winds blowing mostly out of the north for weeks, now. It seems like the weather has been holding them back. Lanny's map shows the very first ones in our area back in April, but I never see mine until weeks after his first reports. Who ARE these lucky people who see them so early?

Mine usually show up in the first week of May, but sometimes they come as late as the middle of the month, but that's unusual. The old records I could find from the forum are:

2008 May 4
2009 May 2
2010 May 14 (really late that year)
2015 May 7

Today is the 14th and still nothing. A cold rain is falling on this cloudy day, whipped up by occasional intense gusts of a cold, unpleasant wind, blowing the rain into a horizontal trajectory. Miserable!

My Lonicera sempervirens is in full bloom, less devastated than usual by aphids. I've also had 2 feeders up since the beginning of the month with no sign of use. They're small, so it's easy to see if the sugar water level drops.

If Dan has his, now, maybe I'll be seeing mine soon. If I don't see one today, I believe it will be the latest date for my first, ever. Kind of discouraging, but I'm hanging in there. I have faith that they are making their way here. I hope that no harm has come to them, and that they'll be here on the next warm front from the southwest. That might not be until midweek. Sigh.

May 14th, 2016, 6:01 pm #2

Kristin,

We have also seen our first hummingbird in southern Wisconsin (colder than Dan in Iowa)on May 7 (and another observer saw one at our feeder on May 3.) We are only in the low 40's today with freeze warnings for tonight. Spring can be very hard to come by in the Upper Midwest---I feel your pain. We have no honeysuckle blooming yet here, but we don't have aphids on it either (and never have.)
Madison, WI
Zone 5a

May 14th, 2016, 6:23 pm #3

Hello all. Was encouraged to see Dan's post about his first hummingbird in Iowa. I'm having a similar experience here in southwestern PA, winds blowing mostly out of the north for weeks, now. It seems like the weather has been holding them back. Lanny's map shows the very first ones in our area back in April, but I never see mine until weeks after his first reports. Who ARE these lucky people who see them so early?

Mine usually show up in the first week of May, but sometimes they come as late as the middle of the month, but that's unusual. The old records I could find from the forum are:

2008 May 4
2009 May 2
2015 May 7

Today is the 14th and still nothing. A cold rain is falling on this cloudy day, whipped up by occasional intense gusts of a cold, unpleasant wind, blowing the rain into a horizontal trajectory. Miserable!

My Lonicera sempervirens is in full bloom, less devastated than usual by aphids. I've also had 2 feeders up since the beginning of the month with no sign of use. They're small, so it's easy to see if the sugar water level drops.

If Dan has his, now, maybe I'll be seeing mine soon. If I don't see one today, I believe it will be the latest date for my first, ever. Kind of discouraging, but I'm hanging in there. I have faith that they are making their way here. I hope that no harm has come to them, and that they'll be here on the next warm front from the southwest. That might not be until midweek. Sigh.
We are getting the cold front coming thru my area , cold, windy in the 40s most likely wont make 50 and like others frost is possible tonight with temps dropping into the 30s. Certain plants need protection , those that can be. Those of us that have tomatoes in the ground after nursing them from seed have that to deal with. This cant be mid may weather or is mother nature just playing a cruel trick on us gardeners.
Steve W.
Martinsville IN.
Zone 6

May 14th, 2016, 6:24 pm #4

2008 May 4
2009 May 2
2015 May 7

Interestingly, warmth doesn't seem to be the only predictor of when they arrive. Although we are warmer than Minnesota, the very first birds almost always show up in southern Minnesota before they show up in western PA. It's only a day or two earlier, I'd say, on average, but when I've looked back through the migration map, the pattern seems to hold. Every year I watch with amazement and a little envy how they show up in cold, cold Minnesota, but still not here.

We seem to be just about the last to get our hummingbirds for anyone at our latitude in the eastern US. I believe it is related to the route that they take. If you imagine that the birds that populate the midwest, extending eastward to western PA, travel through the western gulf coast, up the Mississippi and Ohio River valleys, Minnesota is actually geographically closer to the gulf than southwestern PA. I believe this is why you guys usually see them first, even though you are colder in climate. I have absolutely no proof of this, but it's a pattern I've noticed, and that is my explanation for it. I would assume that the birds that breed east of the Appalachians must travel up the east coast, and those also end up appearing in the eastern part of Pennsylvania (same latitude) earlier than they do in western PA. It sure is frustrating being a hummer lover in western PA, but I do love our woods that carpet the hills and hollows.

I think I just heard my first oriole, as I sit here, typing away.

May 14th, 2016, 6:33 pm #5

2008 May 4
2009 May 2
2015 May 7

Yes, Steve. I feel your pain, and you have lots of company. My tomato plants are not yet in the ground. I have about 200 seedlings in peat pots, outside under a wire mesh that I cover with plastic every night to protect from the cold and deer. I am planning to sell them next weekend at the annual community garage sale. It helps subsidize my garden expenses.

It will be so cold tonight and Sunday night that I will have to bring all of my tomato seedlings inside. Normally at this time of year, we will start to settle into warmer temps in the high 60's or 70's during the day time, and most of the time it will stay above the mid 40's at night. This weekend it will drop into the 30's, and even that plastic cover won't provide enough protection.

Then again, seems like we usually do have some cold snaps in May, and it is not unusual to have frosts in the latter half of May. I usually do not plant very tender things outdoors until the last week of May or June 1st. By then I can usually count on nights above 50 degrees and days in the 70's or even 80's.

No wonder my hummingbirds are staying away!

May 14th, 2016, 6:42 pm #6

2008 May 4
2009 May 2
2015 May 7

Kristin-- Yes not seeing much in the way of hummers here either and can you blame them with this crazy weather. I will be doing my best to cover my toms with plastic and trying to keep the plastic from touching the foliage. I will cover other tender plants with large buckets which seems to work. Frost in mid may is pretty much unheard of around here.
Steve W.
Martinsville IN.
Zone 6

May 14th, 2016, 8:09 pm #7

2008 May 4
2009 May 2
2015 May 7

I just looked up weather records for SW Pennsylvania. Our average temperatures for this date are:

74 degrees average high
49 degrees average low

This jibes with my instincts that say it should be in the 70's during the day and shouldn't be falling below the mid 40's at night. By the latter half of May, we're usually staying in the 50's or even 60's at night, and I feel safe leaving most plants outside.

The record temperatures for May 14th are:

88 degrees for a high (in 1991)
32 degrees for a low (in 2013)

So it does touch freezing in mid May around here, but by the end of the month we should be frost free. I'm frustrated that I will have to schlepp all of those seedlings inside tonight. Couldn't it just stay warm this week so my tomato seedlings will put on as much growth as possible for the sale? They're looking nice, now, but still a bit small, so this cold weather is holding them back.

May 14th, 2016, 11:06 pm #8

2008 May 4
2009 May 2
2015 May 7

Sigh......Just moved all mine back in and covered the in ground plants. Still got the front bed to cover but the birds are stuffing themselves and I hate to disturb them......

May 15th, 2016, 1:42 pm #9

2008 May 4
2009 May 2
2015 May 7

Had to bring my seedlings in cause I figured my little greenhouse
wouldn't be warm enough and I have not planted anything in the ground
or outside pots yet. I haven't even checked my nursey plants in the
greenhouse to see how they handled it. All my potted plants were dragged
into my two sheds.
Outside BB's and Hotlips still under domes
No hummers either
We set a record for our area 35 degrees hasn't been the this cold on
this day since 1895!
Cathy P
Downers Grove, IL
Zone 5
Bazuhi@sbcglobal.net
Visit Me At:
https://www.facebook.com/Cathy-Ps-Hummingbird-Gardens-885457968170727/

May 15th, 2016, 1:47 pm #10

2008 May 4
2009 May 2
2015 May 7

I hear it is snowing this morning in parts of Michigan and Ohio. Yikes! It really stinks when the cold lingers in the great lakes region through May. I see Madison, Wisconsin officially bottomed out at 30 degrees. We only got down to about 36 and had a touch of light frost. I covered all the hummer plants, plus several clematis, lillies, zinnias, etc. The 30s are finished over here, but it will still be a very slow recovery, only getting back to our normal high temp in about a week.
Dan
East-central Iowa
Zone 5a

May 15th, 2016, 2:15 pm #11

2008 May 4
2009 May 2
2015 May 7

I covered all new tender plants with nursery pots or rose cones and covered overwintered pots with sheets. I noticed in the wee hours that it was only in the low 30's. Since the water in our bird baths was frozen solid this morning, I am very relieved that I took these steps. I think we are out of the woods for the next week. Since I have several other plant orders coming this week, including Flowers By The Sea, that is a positive thing.
Madison, WI
Zone 5a

May 16th, 2016, 12:08 pm #12

2008 May 4
2009 May 2
2015 May 7

I'm hoping this is the end of the chilly weather!!
I looked at the 10 day forecast and it looks to be
warming up out this way but ya never know.
I'm gonna start planting this week
Cathy P
Downers Grove, IL
Zone 5
Bazuhi@sbcglobal.net
Visit Me At:
https://www.facebook.com/Cathy-Ps-Hummingbird-Gardens-885457968170727/

May 16th, 2016, 3:21 pm #13

2008 May 4
2009 May 2
2015 May 7

I will also begin planting the rest of my garden today and continue through the end of the week. I'll leave the peppers and tomato til Thursday when our low temps finally go above 50 for good. Heck, the latest weather models suggest next week our low temps may not fall much below 70!!! This is life in the upper midwest. One week we are covering plants, the next week it's warm and humid.
Dan
East-central Iowa
Zone 5a

May 16th, 2016, 8:11 pm #14

2008 May 4
2009 May 2
2015 May 7

It's sunny here today but blustery. I guess June is the only month we can truly trust. I hope you see a hummingbird soon. I only saw one for a fleeting moment from a distance on April 24th. Especially with pounds of unused sugar water later, it gets a little frustrating.
-Adrienne
(Staten Island, NY Zone ~7)

May 16th, 2016, 10:28 pm #15

2008 May 4
2009 May 2
2015 May 7

I didn't get to planting anything today. It was very pleasant earlier, but really cooled this afternoon, plus I had to trim and blow clean a couple properties. I was just reading about transplanting peppers and it seems they are very intolerant of cold air/soil, so mine will have to wait til the weekend.
Dan
East-central Iowa
Zone 5a

Confirmation of reply: