Chilean Glory Vine & Foxglove

Chilean Glory Vine & Foxglove

July 10th, 2012, 5:40 am #1

I had a few of these vines last year & they survived the winter. Their growth has been slow, but they've put out a few flowers regularly for the past few months. This afternoon, I harvested 5 ripe pods - all brown & splitting apart. When I grew them from seeds, I didn't get ripe pods until fall, so this seems really strange.

I need to get more of them going next year - my hummers do like them (me too!). I took this pic this evening...a volunteer, perhaps thanks to a bird.

While I'm in photo posting mode, here's a shot of a foxglove, sidelit by the evening sun. When they're nearly finished blooming, they sometimes lean over, then the tips point back upwards. Most of mine are down to the last few blooms on the main stalk...the bloom season is pretty short.

Patrick
USDA Zone 8b
Heat Zone 3
Sunset Zone 5
SeaTac, WA...one cool place

July 10th, 2012, 7:56 am #2

Awesome capture Patrick! So how MANY Genesairds did you buy??? How many did you take a cutting??? You've got "the fever"!!

Pam
Matawan,NJ 7a

July 10th, 2012, 10:14 am #3

I had a few of these vines last year & they survived the winter. Their growth has been slow, but they've put out a few flowers regularly for the past few months. This afternoon, I harvested 5 ripe pods - all brown & splitting apart. When I grew them from seeds, I didn't get ripe pods until fall, so this seems really strange.

I need to get more of them going next year - my hummers do like them (me too!). I took this pic this evening...a volunteer, perhaps thanks to a bird.

While I'm in photo posting mode, here's a shot of a foxglove, sidelit by the evening sun. When they're nearly finished blooming, they sometimes lean over, then the tips point back upwards. Most of mine are down to the last few blooms on the main stalk...the bloom season is pretty short.

Patrick
USDA Zone 8b
Heat Zone 3
Sunset Zone 5
Patrick
My Chilean Glory Vines are growing beautifully but no blooms yet. They are in bright sun but the roots are in the shade

Penny
NY
USDA hardiness zone 6a
Heat zone 4
Sunset zone 39
Penny
Zone 6a
Western NY state

July 10th, 2012, 2:45 pm #4

Patrick
USDA Zone 8b
Heat Zone 3
Sunset Zone 5
Those are really beautiful pictures Patrick!

July 10th, 2012, 4:15 pm #5

Patrick
USDA Zone 8b
Heat Zone 3
Sunset Zone 5
Thanks, Pam...I'll try to add a thread that details my Gesneriad purchases, but will mention here that I bought a few small plants, some cuttings, rhizomes & seeds. Included were Sinningias, Kohlerias, Achimenes, Columneas, Primulinas (renamed from Chiritas) a Smithiantha and an Alsobia (formerly considered an Episcia). I mostly focused on those that make smaller plants & I went thru $90 faster than I realized. After the convention ended, it was reported that sales (including silent and live auctions, I believe) totaled $10,000. Obviously, several people there spent a whole lot more than I did! When I went to the flower show, I was saying "I want that and that and that...." (in addition to what I was able to purchase).

Thanks, JP. I've become a firm believer in photographing during the Golden Hour, when the sun is very low in the evening. I take my camera out around 8PM (present time of year) and roam around the yard. As the sun keeps sinking in the west, rays of soft light come thru the trees & shrubs and illuminate different plants briefly...and it IS fleeting! In the case of the Chilean Glory Vine pic, there was no direct sun on it, which helped capture the true, rich colors. They say the light is also great around sunrise, but I'm rarely out there that time of day...lol.

Patrick
USDA Zone 8b
Heat Zone 3
Sunset Zone 5

July 10th, 2012, 4:38 pm #6

Patrick
USDA Zone 8b
Heat Zone 3
Sunset Zone 5
No sunrise Patrick, a shame. There tends to be less wind at sunrise and I like the way the plants and their flowers slowly appear out of the darkness. And since normal people are still in bed there is illusion of being alone in the world. One used to be able to conceal ones strange hours, but from postings it is easy to see who can't sleep and who can. If I log on at 4:15 MA I can count on seeing Penny's name. I don't think she sleeps at all.

July 10th, 2012, 4:54 pm #7

Patrick
USDA Zone 8b
Heat Zone 3
Sunset Zone 5
I like having that first cup of coffee when the rest of the world is still at rest and the onlh sounds I hear are the birds waking up. I usually am up between 4 and 5 a.m.

Penny
NY
USDA hardiness zone 6a
Heat zone 4
Sunset zone 39
Penny
Zone 6a
Western NY state

July 10th, 2012, 5:13 pm #8

Patrick
USDA Zone 8b
Heat Zone 3
Sunset Zone 5
Ward & Penny...I think I get my best sleep during those early hours of the morning when the house is cool & dark. I'm usually not ready to go to bed until near midnight, so I get up around 7 or 8 most days. If it's bright & sunny & going to be a warm day, I might get up a little earlier.

Patrick
USDA Zone 8b
Heat Zone 3
Sunset Zone 5

July 10th, 2012, 5:22 pm #9

Patrick
USDA Zone 8b
Heat Zone 3
Sunset Zone 5
My best hours of sleep are in late morning early afternoon times only available on the weekends. Maybe I will catch a quick sitting up nap now....

July 10th, 2012, 5:32 pm #10

Patrick
USDA Zone 8b
Heat Zone 3
Sunset Zone 5
I end up crashing when the sun starts to set but then I have to get up later to get DH off to work at 11:00pm

Penny
NY
USDA hardiness zone 6a
Heat zone 4
Sunset zone 39
Penny
Zone 6a
Western NY state

Confirmation of reply: