Caught in the act

Caught in the act

June 13th, 2012, 5:05 am #1

I've been watching the bumble bees ravage flower after flower (salvias). Here's one I snapped a pic of to show "how it's done".

Patrick
USDA Zone 8b
Heat Zone 3
Sunset Zone 5
SeaTac, WA...one cool place

June 13th, 2012, 9:43 am #2

Patrick, I know what you mean. There is not a drop of nectar left by late afternoon. The same thing is happening here.

Suchie

June 13th, 2012, 2:30 pm #3

I've been watching the bumble bees ravage flower after flower (salvias). Here's one I snapped a pic of to show "how it's done".

Patrick
USDA Zone 8b
Heat Zone 3
Sunset Zone 5
Patrick

Nice capture , here it is the bumblebees that tend to be the nectar stealers.

Steve
Martinsville, In
Heat zone 6
Sunset zone 35

June 13th, 2012, 2:44 pm #4

Patrick
USDA Zone 8b
Heat Zone 3
Sunset Zone 5
Hehehe! Fantastic close-up picture, Patrick!

Sherry
Zone8/9

June 13th, 2012, 3:11 pm #5

Patrick
USDA Zone 8b
Heat Zone 3
Sunset Zone 5
WOW what a great photo! What kind of camera are you using? I fear with all the bees we have, my hummers will have to fight for food

June 13th, 2012, 4:13 pm #6

Patrick
USDA Zone 8b
Heat Zone 3
Sunset Zone 5
For people that have a lot of bees bothering feeders saucer style feeders may be the answer. I hang several different types of feeders and hummers have no problem adjusting to any and all with one exception. I have very little use with the jewelbox feeder. It almost has to be the only feeder available before they will use it here. It doesnt have anything much to do with this thread , just saying.
Last edited by Stevenindy on June 13th, 2012, 5:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

June 13th, 2012, 7:25 pm #7

Patrick
USDA Zone 8b
Heat Zone 3
Sunset Zone 5
Steve, I think this is a type of bumblebee...maybe the Golden Northern Bumblebee? I also have the big "bumblebees shouldn't be able to fly" kind, but they're fewer in number in my yard.

Patrick
USDA Zone 8b
Heat Zone 3
Sunset Zone 5

June 14th, 2012, 12:17 am #8

Patrick
USDA Zone 8b
Heat Zone 3
Sunset Zone 5
Patrick - That IS a great close-up shot!

~Becky~

<span style="width:164px;text-align:center;font-family:sans-serif;font-size:12px;">
Click for weather forecast</span>

June 14th, 2012, 2:22 am #9

Patrick
USDA Zone 8b
Heat Zone 3
Sunset Zone 5
Thanks for the nice comments everyone. gamefanz, my camera is an OLD digital...Olympus C-5050. Rather pricey in its day, it's only 5 megs and and 3X zoom. But it does take nice close-ups and up to a distance of about 8 feet (quite nice for portraits). In this pic, the lens was nearly touching the bee. I wouldn't have tried that with a more tempermental type of bee.

Patrick
USDA Zone 8b
Heat Zone 3
Sunset Zone 5

Confirmation of reply: