By the Way.....

By the Way.....

July 2nd, 2012, 8:43 am #1

I hesitated as to whether I should "spill the beans" on this or not, but Nancy specifically said I could post something once she'd left, and I've been excited for her about this for quite some time.

(Quick background for some of you new folk: Nancy Newfield, who is one of the forum's regular contributors, is the senior-most hummingbird bander in the United States, and a widely-known researcher on hummingbirds, particularly the phenomenon of western and southwestern hummingbirds wintering in the southeastern states. One of her five books, "Hummingbird Gardens", is an excellent resource for gardening for hummingbirds in various regions of the country and I, for one, strongly encourage people to hunt down a used copy whenever possible - it's unfortunately out of print.)

Anyway, many of you know that Nancy led birding tours to Costa Rica for years and she has also traveled to several other countries in Central and South America, always birding but with a special focus on hummingbirds. As I write this, she's in Peru for eleven days, this time on a tour led by someone else (so she can focus on the birds, and not having to run the show!). The trip includes a visit to the only valley where the Marvelous Spatuletail can be found.

Those of you who have seen the "Hummingbirds" episode of the PBS show Nature which included the segment on Nancy's work, will almost certainly remember this stunning bird. I hope she gets some fantastic looks at it.

Kevin Morgan
Baton Rouge, Louisiana

July 2nd, 2012, 11:50 am #2

Kevin
That is totally awsome! I knew that she was going to Peru and naturally figured it would be to study hummers but it never dawned on me that she might have the opportunity to see the Marvelous Spatuletail first hand. I sure hope her quest is successful!

I have to agree with your assesment of Nancy's Book, HUMMINGBIRD GARDENS. It is a great resource for both seasoned and new hummingbird gardeners and is available through Amazon.com.

Penny
NY
USDA hardiness zone 6a
Heat zone 4
Sunset zone 39
Penny
Zone 6a
Western NY state

July 2nd, 2012, 1:53 pm #3

I hesitated as to whether I should "spill the beans" on this or not, but Nancy specifically said I could post something once she'd left, and I've been excited for her about this for quite some time.

(Quick background for some of you new folk: Nancy Newfield, who is one of the forum's regular contributors, is the senior-most hummingbird bander in the United States, and a widely-known researcher on hummingbirds, particularly the phenomenon of western and southwestern hummingbirds wintering in the southeastern states. One of her five books, "Hummingbird Gardens", is an excellent resource for gardening for hummingbirds in various regions of the country and I, for one, strongly encourage people to hunt down a used copy whenever possible - it's unfortunately out of print.)

Anyway, many of you know that Nancy led birding tours to Costa Rica for years and she has also traveled to several other countries in Central and South America, always birding but with a special focus on hummingbirds. As I write this, she's in Peru for eleven days, this time on a tour led by someone else (so she can focus on the birds, and not having to run the show!). The trip includes a visit to the only valley where the Marvelous Spatuletail can be found.

Those of you who have seen the "Hummingbirds" episode of the PBS show Nature which included the segment on Nancy's work, will almost certainly remember this stunning bird. I hope she gets some fantastic looks at it.

Kevin Morgan
Baton Rouge, Louisiana
That's great news. I am looking forward to a report and pictures too!

Sigrid

July 2nd, 2012, 3:04 pm #4

Kevin Morgan
Baton Rouge, Louisiana
Kevin

Thanks for that info and Im sure Nancy will have a marvelous trip to that country whether she sees the spatuletail or not. But if she is lucky enough to see it first hand how excited she will be and I hope she will share that with us. Im wishing her the best of luck.

Steve
Martinsville, In
Heat zone 6
Sunset zone 35

July 2nd, 2012, 4:34 pm #5

Kevin Morgan
Baton Rouge, Louisiana
Still some "Hummingbird Gardens" are available on Amazon. I have just bought a used copy.
http://tinyurl.com/86a3hb7

Jacques Turgeon, Hummingbirds bander
Stoke, Québec, Canada
Blog
Ruby-throated hummingbirds in Quebec

Zone 4b
<a href="http://www.wunderground.com/global/stat ... k=miniDial" rel="nofollow">
</a>
Last edited by jacquesturgeon on July 2nd, 2012, 4:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

July 2nd, 2012, 10:17 pm #6

Kevin Morgan
Baton Rouge, Louisiana
Sadly, Nancy is not a photographer, and doesn't even own a camera any longer. (She'd gotten a new digital point-and-shoot a few years ago, but it got "borrowed" by her spouse and she's never gotten it back to even learn how to use it. That's why she relies on Joan (who's a very adept photographer!) and to a lesser extent me to document things while we're banding.

So unless someone else on the trip shares some photos, I'll just have to imagine it.

Kevin Morgan
Baton Rouge, Louisiana

July 3rd, 2012, 3:37 am #7

Kevin Morgan
Baton Rouge, Louisiana
I had a feeling that if Nancy was going to travel all the way to Peru that she would definitely make arrangements to see this marvelous hummer - Marvelous Spatuletail! I am so excited for her! I know she is going to come back with some great stories to share! I am sorry to hear that she won't be taking photos. Too bad that Joan and Kevin didn't go on that trip with her! You know ... team work to record it all! I live vicariously through all of you world travelers!

~Becky~

<span style="width:164px;text-align:center;font-family:sans-serif;font-size:12px;">
Click for weather forecast</span>

July 3rd, 2012, 5:16 am #8

Kevin Morgan
Baton Rouge, Louisiana
"Hummingbird Gardens" was my main reference resource when I started out 16 years ago in pursuit of hummers and then more hummers. Now I have additional hobbies of gardening and plant collecting. These days, my goal is working on attracting winter birds if I am so lucky to have them pass my way.

Nancy is the Queen Bee of hummer information and hummer gardening advice. Her expertise has been a great help to me over the years. I know that she has been looking forward to this trip and I hope that it turns out to be all that she was wishing for and more.

I will be glad when she returns and adds her opinion to everyone's threads. Her inputs are one of the main reasons that I joined the Hummingbird Forum. All of the posts, questions, experiences, ideas and photos from you kind people have made it all the more valuable to me. I am glad to know that I am not alone with this obsession in the pursuit of hummingbirds and gardening to bring them to my yard. It can get to be somewhat addictive and I admit that I am hooked.

Jim
south Georgia

NLN

July 11th, 2012, 9:44 am #9

Kevin Morgan
Baton Rouge, Louisiana
Thanks, Kevin.

Yes, as of yesterday morning, I'm baaack. It was a totally awesome trip and I will require a few days to recover from having had so much fun.

On 29 June, I flew down to Lima, Perú, to join with a number of other eager birders who quested after the Marvelous Spatuletail in the northern part of that country. The logistical aspects of traveling in South America are not insignificant so I was pleased to be able to participate as a passenger rather having to make plans for myself.

As Kevin mentioned, I am not a photographer, so I will eventually post links to images and blogs presented by other members of the group. In all, we observed more than 40 hummer species, not to mention dozens of other kinds of interesting and colorful birds.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Nancy L Newfield
Casa Colibrí
Metairie, Louisiana USA
USDA Zone 9b
http://www.casacolibri.net/

July 11th, 2012, 10:37 am #10

Kevin Morgan
Baton Rouge, Louisiana
40 hummer species? Whoa! I can't get my head wrapped around that.

The politics and economics of the countries in South America are slowly improving. One day it will be easier, safer and cheaper to travel and either live or have a second house there. I hope to be able to travel there one day and see the different birds.

Welcome back, Nancy!

Traveling is fun, but it's always good to come back home, no?

Central Florida 9B

Confirmation of reply: