Butterfly Season Looking Great!

Butterfly Season Looking Great!

March 14th, 2012, 8:00 pm #1

I haven't posted in a long time here - I was sick over the winter, and I've been real busy gardening plus all the usual chores this spring.
The early, warm spring must be what's heating up the butterflies! I've got sleepy orange caterpillars already, and there are two red admirals laying eggs on the new growth of my false nettles. I've seen jillions of cloudless sulphurs, sleepy oranges, little yellows, palamedes, black, tiger, spicebush and pipevine swallowtails, American ladies, red admirals, and I think I've seen both a gulf frit and a variegated frit from a distance.
Here's a picture I got of the first palamedes swallowtail of the season, nectaring on some wild azaleas -

Sherry in Southeast Mississippi

March 23rd, 2012, 4:28 am #2

I sure hope it's better than last year. Was really poor after a great one (with many lifers) in 2010. With this warm spring we've had, the Buddleias are green as green can be & don't appear to have even attempted dormancy. They are always normally loaded with Butterflies.

Very nice pix that is there, too!!!

Joni
Elwood, IL
Zone 5

April 8th, 2012, 7:19 pm #3

I haven't posted in a long time here - I was sick over the winter, and I've been real busy gardening plus all the usual chores this spring.
The early, warm spring must be what's heating up the butterflies! I've got sleepy orange caterpillars already, and there are two red admirals laying eggs on the new growth of my false nettles. I've seen jillions of cloudless sulphurs, sleepy oranges, little yellows, palamedes, black, tiger, spicebush and pipevine swallowtails, American ladies, red admirals, and I think I've seen both a gulf frit and a variegated frit from a distance.
Here's a picture I got of the first palamedes swallowtail of the season, nectaring on some wild azaleas -

Beautiful picture Sherry. Sorry you have been ill but glad to hear you are looking forward to a great butterfly season.

I was tickled to death to find cats on my Dutchman's pipevine. I had about decited it was never going to happen.

Dianne
Southeast Alabama
Heat Zone 8
Sunset Zone 31

April 9th, 2012, 2:32 am #4

That's fantastic, Dianne!

The pipevine cats I'm raising in a cage on my porch are all pupating at once, about 25 of them. There are many more of them outside, doing fine on their own.

In the future, your pipevine will probably send up new sprouts/colonize, at least mine have. From two pipevines that I originally planted in one corner of my garden have come about 15 or more new vines. The ones on the other side of the garden have also spread, just not to such an extent. Anyway, the pipevine swallowtails keep laying eggs, so it looks like a big pipevine swallowtail season this year. They're my favorite caterpillar and favorite butterfly!

April 10th, 2012, 4:55 am #5

Sherry - Which cultivar of Pipevine do you grow? I have two different pipevines in my yard but neither attracts the Pipevine Swallowtails.

April 11th, 2012, 2:50 am #6

Mine are Aristolochia tomentosa, Becky. I've had them for a pretty long time, probably 8 - 10 years, and I've gotten cats every year. They're in raised beds, which helps, since the ones I've planted directly in the ground don't do well, don't grow much. I put chicken manure around them a couple of times a year, and in spring I sprinkle lime around them and prune them to about the top of the fence they grow on, which is 6' tall.

Here is a picture of some eggs -

And here are some early instar caterpillars -

Here is a late instar caterpillar with his osmeterium stuck out -

And here is a picture I like that I took of a male on coral porterweed -

They bloom profusely every spring, but I've never gotten a single seed pod. I've opened them up, and there are lots of gnats inside the flowers, so I don't know why they're not getting pollinated.
If you don't live where pipevine swallowtails occur, you won't get them. Where are you located, in general?

April 19th, 2012, 3:44 am #7

Sherry - Those are some really terrific photos of the Pipevine Swallowtail lifecycle! Thanks for posting them! I have Aristolochia trilobata and A. fimbriata, but not the one you have. The Aristolochia vines I am growing are not host plants apparently. I did purchase seeds for the A. tomentosa and out of 4 seeds sowed, one did indeed sprout! Yay! The leaves look like yours, only mine is currently much smaller still. Does your vine grow fast?

I also read that A. californica and A. serpentaria are also host vines. No luck finding seeds for sale for those.

Confirmation of reply: