Buff Bellied

Buff Bellied

April 20th, 2017, 2:30 pm #1

Saw my first Buff Bellied hummer yesterday! It is a beautiful hummer watched it for about 5 minutes had great color such a vibrant green on its chest and neck area, it was hard to spot at first it looked like a little green leaf. Also saw my first Ruby Throats as well. Plus many other firsts for bird species. Enjoying our Chorpus Christi trip, hopefully when we get back home our Black chinned hummers will be there!

April 20th, 2017, 2:57 pm #2

That is great, I was afraid you might miss Buff-bellied. Give us a full report when you get back.

April 20th, 2017, 3:25 pm #3

Saw my first Buff Bellied hummer yesterday! It is a beautiful hummer watched it for about 5 minutes had great color such a vibrant green on its chest and neck area, it was hard to spot at first it looked like a little green leaf. Also saw my first Ruby Throats as well. Plus many other firsts for bird species. Enjoying our Chorpus Christi trip, hopefully when we get back home our Black chinned hummers will be there!
Dylan, Buff-bellied are my favorite hummer species. Listen to hear if you can learn his voice. They are among the more vocal and vocally varied of the North American [north of Mexico] species. Enjoy your trip and tell us all about it!

April 20th, 2017, 5:20 pm #4

Hi Dylan, congrats on your sighting...I see you made another post when you weren't logeged into the forum which is why it wasn't showing up. I'll go ahead and delete it,just letting you know.
Ruth
Everett,WA
Zone 8

April 20th, 2017, 7:37 pm #5

Congrats, Dylan! Heard Corpus Christi is one of America's best birding areas.

Joni
Elwood, IL
Zone 5

April 21st, 2017, 7:27 am #6

Dylan,

on your sighting of the Buff-bellied hummingbird. We saw one in Louisiana many years ago. They are amazing hummingbirds.

Glad to hear that you are enjoying birding in the Corpus Christi area. It is definitely the place to be for birds in April!!

April 23rd, 2017, 2:11 am #7

Dylan

I was looking at some images of the buff-bellied hummer- wow! what striking colors on that bird. No wonder you were so excited as anyone would be.
Steve W.
Martinsville IN.
Zone 6

Confirmation of reply: